Implemented Delay Hold: not degrade

markyd

Inspired
When the delay hold is used, the held signal will lose high end over time. I use the delay hold to grab a loop like snapshot soundscape and fade it in and out behind an ambient composition. I currently have to use a external hardware delay just because the delay hold retains full fidelity indefinitely. My wish is that the III delay hold would behave the same so I can finally ditch my last external processor and utilize the full capability of the III's delays.
Thanks for looking.

i'm confused.

When the delay hold is used, the held signal will lose high end over time.
where is this happening? on the Axe?

you're saying that the Axe does not lose the high end over time, and your external pedal does, right?

what Delay Type are you using? have you tried the Analog Delay type?

He's saying that on the Axe-Fx, the "loop" created when you engage hold changes in tone slowly over time. If I remember correctly, it has always been like this. To test this, try a loop of 100ms. It has nothing to do with hi cut, drive or any other setting, that's just how it works.

He's saying that on the Axe-Fx, the "loop" created when you engage hold changes in tone slowly over time. If I remember correctly, it has always been like this. To test this, try a loop of 100ms. It has nothing to do with hi cut, drive or any other setting, that's just how it works.
Ok I thought so. the wording of the first post seemed to say opposite things, and/or i wasn't sure if he meant his external delay does not lose high end during it's hold function.

have you considered trying the Looper @markyd ?

It was always like this on the Axe FX II, for sure. I never understood why, either, but it had nothing to do with any parameters on the delay.

Thanks for chiming in Matt! That's exactly right. It has always been like that on the Axe-fx, however it has never been like that on any other delay units I have ever used. Other delay units (ADA, Digitech etc.) don't lose fidelity of the held delay. Unfortunately I have developed a good part of my style based on this function, and I would really like to not have to include additional delay units (that aren't as nice as the ones in the III) in my setup just for that one function...

have you considered trying the Looper @markyd ?

Thanks for the reply! I use the looper as well, but the delay hold is a very different thing. I like to freeze a delay texture (with lots of delay feedback) with the hold function, and I can control how much of a new texture is added or how much the old texture fades away with engaging or disengaging the hold function. I then play on top of the texture and crossfade in the background different textures from different held delay loops. A delay held texture might come back several minutes later in the composition, so if it has lost fidelity over that time, it is really noticeable.

I experimented with the delay a few evenings ago, this was a quick experiment so I could be wrong?

With delay type set to digital, feed back at 100%, set bypass mode to effect input.

If you have the delay bypassed then click un-bypass you can grab a chunk of audio, then click bypass so nothing is added to this loop (it will continue playing after bypass). A volume block after the delay can bring this in and out (edit: or just delay mix) . I couldn't tell that the loop degraded but I didn't play with it too long. The problem is if you want to grab another chunk of audio you have to reduce delay feedback to kill what's in the feedback buffer. Maybe set the last 5% of expression pedal range tied to feedback param and reduce to 0? Of course none of this helps if the repeats continue to degrade, which I'm not sure about.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Can't speak for the III but I'm quite sure the II kept the hold sound happening when I upped the feedback dial.

Change types and see what your options are there. I'll have a look when I can get back to my II tonight.

The reverb degrades?

When hold is engaged the held sound changes over time. When cliff introduced the new cloud reverb types a few weeks ago I experimented and the sound changes pretty drastically over time. Almost like going from reverb reflections to white noise.
Of course I'm no expert. I have some basic knowledge and play around till I get what I want, so user error could be involved.

When hold is engaged the held sound changes over time. When cliff introduced the new cloud reverb types a few weeks ago I experimented and the sound changes pretty drastically over time. Almost like going from reverb reflections to white noise.
Of course I'm no expert. I have some basic knowledge and play around till I get what I want, so user error could be involved.
Just tried the Nimbostratus reverb with default settings and 50% mix, played a note then engaged the Hold. Didn't change any tone or degrade for over 5 minutes. Same result with the BBD Delay, Feedback @ 30% and Mix @ 25%.

I just did a test with the BBD delay, and it in fact degrades just like all the other delays. You have to flatten out the EQ first.

Back
Top Bottom