In ear monitors and direct cable connection to the Axe...problem solved!

Coby

Inspired
Hi people,
I have a pair of Audiofly AF160 that have 3 drivers and 18ohm.
I need to connect them directly to the Axe Fx (we're preparing a show playing with the JamHub, hence I connect the Phones output of the Axe Fx to the JamHub input and the AF160 to the headphones output of the JamHub), but do they sound shrill and fizzy, like if the cab simulation was switched off. But the sound with the studio headphones of the other members of the band is perfect, hence i think It's a problem with the impedance of my in ear monitors.
My question is: there's a way to solve the problem without being forced to buy an other pair of cans? Maybe using a small headphone amplifier?
Thank you so much for any suggestion!

how do they sound plugged directly into the Axe FX phones out? Might be a jamhub issue or if using an adapter might be faulty.

I think the proper way of hooking it up is to use the rear outputs of the Axe FX to the jam hub at any rate, not the phones out.

Jam hub should be fine. I’ve used a jamhub since they came out. My custom buds are more efficient so it takes less to drive them, so I don’t have the volume up as loud as I do with say some akg 240’s. Make sure the output has the cab sim on it. I’d try some regular headphones too, to compare. Make sure you aren’t clipping the jamhub input either.

Last edited:
how do they sound plugged directly into the Axe FX phones out? Might be a jamhub issue or if using an adapter might be faulty.

I think the proper way of hooking it up is to use the rear outputs of the Axe FX to the jam hub at any rate, not the phones out.
Thank you for your answer! They sound tha same way plugged directly into the Axe and the Jamhub works perfectly. Connecting the headphones of the other guys the sound is perfect.

Thank you for your answer! They sound tha same way plugged directly into the Axe and the Jamhub works perfectly. Connecting the headphones of the other guys the sound is perfect.
what gear do you plug into where your AF160 does sound good?

Jam hub should be fine. I’ve used a jamhub since they came out. My custom buds are more efficient so it takes less to drive them, so I don’t have the volume up as loud as I do with say some akg 240’s. Make sure the output has the cab sim on it. I’d try some regular headphones too, to compare. Make sure you aren’t clipping the jamhub input either.
Thank you for the suggestions! The cab sim is on, no doubt about It, I checked it several times and the jamhub is set correctly with the light beeing only green and never clipping. With other headphones the sound is ok, hence I think the problem is the impedance of my in ear monitors. The doubt is if a micro amp (like the Fiio A3 for example), that's made to run ear monitors with low impedance, could solve the problem or if I'm forced to buy a different pair of cans.

what gear do you plug into where your AF160 does sound good?
The AF160 sound good only plugged into my pc or in my phone, in the Axe Fx they doesn't sound good at all, in any way. But the Axe is plugged at the same time to a couple of Yamaha HS7 and from the two Yamaha the sound is fantastic. This make my think the problem are the AF160 and nothing else.

Thank you for the suggestions! The cab sim is on, no doubt about It, I checked it several times and the jamhub is set correctly with the light beeing only green and never clipping. With other headphones the sound is ok, hence I think the problem is the impedance of my in ear monitors. The doubt is if a micro amp (like the Fiio A3 for example), that's made to run ear monitors with low impedance, could solve the problem or if I'm forced to buy a different pair of cans.

Does it say in the jamhub manual? probably not. Is the volume really low? or just sound like crap? I push my jamhub on my channel into the orange, right before it gets red. Headphones seem to like that better.

Does it say in the jamhub manual? probably not. Is the volume really low? or just sound like crap? I push my jamhub on my channel into the orange, right before it gets red. Headphones seem to like that better.
Well, my volume too arrives to the orange color just before the led becomes red, but the sound is always like crap :( only clean sounds are ok, but the distorted presets are really horrible!

Hi people! Just wanted to share how I solved the problem.
I just bought an headphone amp (the Fiio A3 - € 60,00 on Amazon) that has a low impedance output and...taaa daaa!!!
My in ear monitors came to life! Now the Axe sounds almost exactly as I ear It from my Yamaha HS7.
Hence, If you have low impedance in ear monitors don't connect them directly to the Axe but use an headphone amp that will correct the higher output impedance coming from the Axe.
A low price adjustement but with big big results. ;)

When you use the headphone amp do you turn the volume on the Axe Fx all the way up?
Absolutely no. The AXE has too much volume, you have to almost max the volume on the headphone amp and then set the volume of the AXE to a properly level (usually never above 9 o'clock).

Back
Top Bottom