Axe-Fx III and MFC-101 Mark 1

strumbringer

Inspired
Hi all,

Got my Axe-FX this week, and it has a FASLINK port, but my MFC-101 only has an ethernet port. I got the FAS adapter, but it looks like I need a male-to-male XLR cable to connect it.

Before I go deeper down the rabbit hole, was hoping someone can tell me if I'm on the right path :)

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Got my Axe-FX this week, and it has a FASLINK port, but my MFC-101 only has an ethernet port. I got the FAS adapter, but it looks like I need a male-to-male XLR cable to connect it.

Before I go deeper down the rabbit hole, was hoping someone can tell me if I'm on the right path :)

Thanks in advance!

The Faslink on the III is not the same as on the II. You’ll need to talk to the III over MIDI. If the mark I doesn’t have a MIDI out, you’re out of luck.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
check out this link: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-its-probably-been-answered-but.139066/unread

it's the (previously) latest thread regarding setting up the MFC with the Axe3. also look at the links within that thread.

keep in mind the MFC design is about 7 years old now. the Axe3 design is forward-thinking, and therefore must use different protocols and technology instead of something from the past.

Thanks Chris, will do.

Protocols don't require a connector change, though (I work in technology). Ethernet cables can transfer up a gigabit per second (Cat5) and up to 10 gigabits per second (Cat6). There is no need for a different connector for performance or data size reasons.

Thanks Chris, will do.

Protocols don't require a connector change, though (I work in technology). Ethernet cables can transfer up a gigabit per second (Cat5) and up to 10 gigabits per second (Cat6). There is no need for a different connector for performance or data size reasons.
ethernet connections for music gear and constant tear-down/setup have proven to not be robust enough. the tiny pins on the jacks and the cables can be bent so easily.

FAS created the FASlink connection using a standard XLR cable, which is proven the most robust and reliable cable for live audio for years and years. this was implemented on later versions of the MFC and Axe-Fx II.

it's not about changing protocols/connectors just to change them, but to provide reliable connections for professional musicians, show after show.

Back
Top Bottom