AFIII Axe Fx III High Gain Amp Series: Peavy | EVH 5150s

LucasLeCompte

Experienced
I put the mighty 5150s against each other! All I messed with on each amp is the basic tone page in the amp block, everything else was the same all through out. Patch can be found on axechange or in the user patches section in the forum. Which 5150 did YOU think should have won?

For me All sounds muddy undefined not tight enough (even 5153 - strange) without organic top end :D. Compared my own 5150 II and 6505 with FAS 5150 - they still dont sounds close enough in midrange area compared to real thing.

Stay Metal!

I bought the original block letter when they first came out back in the early 90’s. Gigged and recorded with it till 2009 when the EVH 5153’s came out. Gigged those till 2016 until I made the Fractal switch. Now I just use the 5153 amp sim. Sold all my amps with no regrets.

I bought the original block letter when they first came out back in the early 90’s. Gigged and recorded with it till 2009 when the EVH 5153’s came out. Gigged those till 2016 until I made the Fractal switch. Now I just use the 5153 amp sim. Sold all my amps with no regrets.
Probably matter of taste as always. But again all 5150 from Axe dont sounds enough close in midrange compared to my own 5150 or 6505. I mean they sounds great just diff :D IMO.

So far Axe cant recreate that specific hard sounding midrange from Real Peavey 5150/6505 Amp. Its a bit easier with 5153 becouse that one sounds diff compared to 5150/6505 more like "many others" higain amps. Anyway I'm more a fan of tight defined sounds more organic etc...

I'm big noob on guitar :D but here some 5150 presets with axe FX II XL+ and my shitty playing. But You know what I mean i think? :D

E standard Washburn Parallaxe Active EMG 81/85.

Stay Metal!

Probably matter of taste as always. But again all 5150 from Axe dont sounds enough close in midrange compared to my own 5150 or 6505. I mean they sounds great just diff :D IMO.

So far Axe cant recreate that specific hard sounding midrange from Real Peavey 5150/6505 Amp. Its a bit easier with 5153 becouse that one sounds diff compared to 5150/6505 more like "many others" higain amps. Anyway I'm more a fan of tight defined sounds more organic etc...

I'm big noob on guitar :D but here some 5150 presets with axe FX II XL+ and my shitty playing. But You know what I mean i think? :D

E standard Washburn Parallaxe Active EMG 81/85.

Stay Metal!
Sounds great. The 5150 is definitely a great metal amp. But that was my problem with it. It was kind of a one trick pony. But it did that one trick VERY well. :D

Sounds great. The 5150 is definitely a great metal amp. But that was my problem with it. It was kind of a one trick pony. But it did that one trick VERY well. :D
Thx! But really at the end in a mix hard to beat old boosted 5150 :D It always sounds great on rhythm guitars. Here some of mixes for friend band - guitars 5150 and recto cab :D Slo100 is also killer. And profiled with Kemper mor than 80 amps maybe 20 diff famous cabs.

End of off topic. About Comparison on video i think 5153 sounds best.

Stay Metal!

it'a hard to compare clips when they aren't apples to apples...the mixed clip in the second video sounds great but it's boosted, with a specific cab, mixed and mastered with a full band. I preferred the first video's tones to the provided clips in the second or third posted. Sounded more like what I expect a 5150 (and it's siblings) to sound like, whereas the other clip almost sounded like classic Bay Area thrash to me. Smaller, darker and more mid heavy.

But in the end, it is ALL preference.

Thx! But really at the end in a mix hard to beat old boosted 5150 :D It always sounds great on rhythm guitars. Here some of mixes for friend band - guitars 5150 and recto cab :D Slo100 is also killer. And profiled with Kemper mor than 80 amps maybe 20 diff famous cabs.

End of off topic. About Comparison on video i think 5153 sounds best.

Stay Metal!

Which one? 50 or 100?

Which one? 50 or 100?
100, 50 is a bit too much compressed for Me ( dont like also real 5150 hahah prefer more old 5150). Also I know one thing in a mix with full context maybe FAS 6160 kills them all :D Same with real amps... on single track or 2 You can prefer amp A but in a Mix amp C - even if solo You dont like that one so much.

Long story :p Anyway general rule - amps with ore mids fit better in a mix. For example My comparison 10 diff real Amps same cab mic pos and same song. Amplist in .txt file :D

http://www.sinmix.pl/2017/04/21/10-amps-and-one-cab-comparison/

Stay Metal!

Back
Top Bottom