AustinBuddy Naked Amps Tone Pack (still) Rules! ... New Website up...FM3...coming soon(ish)

Hmmmm. Maybe I will roll back to 8.02 from 9.04 on my XL+ when my III arrives next week, so I can still have Naked Amp optimal goodness in one of my new Stereo loops........
Edit...while waiting for my plumber who has yet to show up, I decided to back everything up and check out again 8.02, the first time I have ever backgraded on this unit, and since I seem to use the Naked stuff more than anything by a long shot , and @austinbuddy has advocated this for some time, might as well ...and.......
I think I agree with him, that 8.02 may be more the pleasing sounding FW, at least with his Amp pack....
I’ll have a little fun with it until I dive into the III rabbit hole on Monday..................

I'm thinking of rolling back to 8.02 and staying on that for my XL+ too.

The Naked Amp pack just kills with that FW.

So it appears that 8.02 is, indeed, the shit with the NA, and I am now fantasizing about exotic routing scenarios like sending an AES signal of just a Naked Amp BLK from XL+ into one of my new FXLs on the III , in a parallel path with some Ares action ...on another path, etc, etc. etc........

Do side by side sound clips of 8.02 versus 9.04, same preset, and you will hear what I mean. Even if you turn SPKR COMP off in 9.04, it's not the realistic goodness that 8.02 has to my ears. 8.02 has the detailed midd and high mids and not as compressed. 9.02 works though if you turn the SPR COMP to zero -- it's essential identical. I'm probably repeating something I have posted in this thread a dozen times...

What will make the Axe III fun is I will start with the settings for 8.02 (A/Bing) then try to get Ares firmware preset to sound like 8.02 preset amp sound (best I can). Not sure how it will turn out, but that's how we start.

Yup. I will always have a unit -- my Xl, or my Ax8, running 8.02...so far, nothing has beat it, but I'm just now diving carefully into the Area for Axe III, it has a power pre-EQ before amp thing that might just be the shiz-nit...gotta experiment with it, there goes another weekend! hahahaha.

Hey everyone: For those of you who really want to use 9.04 firmware with the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack, based on lots of testing and also using ARES on a III, here is what I recommend you do for your Ax8 or Axe-FX.

1. Install the 9.04 firmware.

2. Use the 9.02 700+Naked Amps TonePack version and install it.

3. For any Class-A amps (amps with negative feedback, these will show a "zero" value on the amp page - like Vox, Morgans, Matchless, some Dr. Zs, etc.) those are fine. Leave them alone - they are good to go as is.

4. Play the other presets. If you like what you hear, then you are good to go.

5. But if you are like me, you may want a little more definition in the upper mids. Rather than using Bass/Middle/Treble, I've found there are two ways to get that extra upper mid lift that was present in 8.02 I love so much but isn't there when running 9.04 with the presets.

You can either

A) go into an amp block and add 0.50 to 1db at the 4Khz area - that will give you the missing presence.

OR

B) go into the negative feedback parameter in the amp block for each amp (X/Y) you want to brighten, and add at least "1 to 2" to the value there (to taste). For example, if the amp negative feedback is set to 2.5, try a value 3.5 and see if you like that better. The higher the number, the brighter the amp will get.

Most people like the TonePack just as they are, but on 9.04, the non-Class-A amps they are a little darker than dialed in originally under 8.02 -- unless you do the above. Just some tips.

Also, an update: I'm focused on creating an expanded TonePack version for the Axe-III that is already approaching 1000+ distinct tones! It will contain every sound in the current TonePack -- but adds a lot more and expands on some classic and modern amps. So every amp will have at least two tones still, but some will have as many as 12 shades of tones.

Because I have to match using the 2048 new factory cabs (I still use Legacy ones too that sound great), this one is taking some time to complete but as of now, I expect it will become available sometime in June. The AxeIII-Editor being built out is an essential part on getting the product done properly, and that is coming along nicely by Fractal. Have to say I am LOVING the Axe-III -- so much power, naming of scenes is extremely helpful for TonePack stuff, and it sounds amazing! Cheers!

Hi everyone. Installed the new Axe-FX firmware version 10.01 on my XL and for past many days have been going through the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack making adjustments and leveling presets to the new firmware. It sounds great!

I'm making multiple further tweaks to the new version. including using the Cab Block to cut lows and Hi's more than I did in prior version, and some slight changes to EQ here and there, and the level is a bit hotter in 10.x by about 1db on average compared to 8.02, but that's much of it.

As I go, am A/B'ing to the original 8.02 presets -- to make sure the tones are as close as possible to original design in level, sound, and feel. Due to the 10.01 firmware change itself, you will hear a little more bottom end, certain mids presence, and better string definition. Maybe one way to say it is 10.01 is more modern EQ, and 8.02 is a little more vintage EQ, but the difference is subtle.

Finished Bank 1 (Vintage & Boutique) last weekend, working on Bank 2 (Modern Amps) now. Hoping to get it all done by this Saturday night.

The Plan: once the XL/XL+ 10.01 version is done, will attach it to the account downloads area for after you log into AustinBuddy.com and you will be able to see and download it there, along side 9.02 and 8.02.

***If you have NOT created a login account at my website store, please do so ASAP. Initially you won't see your past orders, but there is a way to go back in and manually attach new logins to prior orders -- so you will have access to any updates moving forward and see all versions. If you are a guest though, you won't have access - so for updates, it becomes mandatory.***

Next, once XL update versions done, will use FracTool to convert into a Mark II compatible version. Then I have to go in and manually change about 1 in 7 cabs that are in use for the XL (above #133) not available on the Mark II. After those substitutes are made, will add that version to the store.

Now, you probably didn't want all those details. But this is why it takes so long (and why I waited for 10.01 instead of doing 9.04 from 9.02) -- I literally have to audition 700+ sounds, side-by-side, and make adjustments to get them as close as possible. It's not a batch processor, and I have to give my ears and occasional rest/prevent fatigue. And -- I have to resist the urge to play each preset amp tone more than a few minutes! :)

I'll post here when the XL and later the Mark II downloads are ready. There is NO CHARGE for this update to existing customers. I'm going to be out of pocket for 9 days at months' end away from my gear, so my goal is to get both of these updates out by middle of next week, else it will have to be early June.

Patience -- yours is appreciated, and I promise you, it will be rewarded! Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Wanted to serve existing customers first so put Axe III on hold until q10 updates are done

Axe III TonePack to come is expanded, uses lots of scenes (named) and will be 1000+ tones. It is 70% done now, but need the axe III-editor functions not yet done, and have about 200 more sounds to program. Everything in the Axe-Fx TonePack version tone wise will also be in the new III Tonepack too— but it is a new product built by hand (and ears!) with some new features. It probably will be ready in June but not before.

Do yourselves a favour and pick up austinbuddy's cab pack on the Fractal site. I picked it up the other day and have been very pleased with the quality of the ir's. If austinbuddy happens to read this, I was just wondering what his favourite combinations with his tone pack are. Cheers

Hi HughJ,

Am away from my laptop but I did do a forum post on my favorite Cabs and pairings in those collections. Really good cab pairing choices for Supros, Matchless DC30s, old Fenders, and Marshalls.... What I tried to do is “fill in the gaps” in all the good commercial offerings out there with things I thought were missing and needed. Appreciate the kind words! If I find the post later I will link it here.

EDIT : Here is the Link

Last edited:
Hi HughJ,

Am away from my laptop but I did do a forum post on my favorite Cabs and pairings in those collections. Really good cab pairing choices for Supros, Matchless DC30s, old Fenders, and Marshalls.... What I tried to do is “fill in the gaps” in all the good commercial offerings out there with things I thought were missing and needed. Appreciate the kind words! If I find the post later I will link it here.

I think that you should put a link to these cabs on your preset page. Had I known that they were available earlier I would have picked them up.

Agreed, austinbuddy’s Cab Packs are awesome, and well worth picking up. Nice to see a ton of the Big Bundle and CabPack 17 IRs represented in the III’s 2048 built in cabs as well!

I think that you should put a link to these cabs on your preset page. Had I known that they were available earlier I would have picked them up.

I appreciate that very much, but I like to adhere to forum moderator rules -- so that was originally posted in the User Cab and IR forum, not the preset forum. My website has info on the Cab Packs here.

But since you asked....here is some of that post, as requested, about cab pairings with the Naked Amps stuff.

Wanted to point out some specific favorites worth highlighting here from each of the three new Cab Packs. Also, these all also work great with the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack. My quick favs:

Vintage Black & Tweed
Here, check out the Tweed Deluxe2 (think Keith Richards). We shot two Deluxes, and while both are great, the second one is my favorite color of this. I’m a big fan of the Fractal Tweed Deluxe amp model in general, and these IRs are great for dialing in old Rolling Stones, blues, or classic rock (like early ZZ Top – Billy Gibbons used Tweeds as well as Marshalls).

Next, I like the Little Tweed2 (Tweed Champ2). Think Ronnie Wood in the Faces, or Derek & the Dominoes, and the Tweed Pro Amp 1X15, which has great bottom and lower-mids.

But perhaps my favorite in the collection based on a classic blackface Vibrolux 2X10, and is probably the best sounding IR Fender-style capture I’ve ever heard! It’s got the right bass, mids, and highs EQ curve to sound great with any Blackface Fender amp model, and probably other models too!

Fantastic 2X12s
I’m especially in love with the “Big Brit” which is a 1971 oversize Marshall 2X12 with original 25 watt Greenbacks. Mmmmmm. It pairs fantastic with any Plexi-style amp from that era, the vintage greenback speakers crunch up just right to accent a crunchy or dimed amp model. There are plenty of great 4x12 Cab IRs out there in the marketplace, but this 2x12 is special!

I also love the “Matchbox2” IRs, based on a green DC30 Matchless amp. This 1990s DC-30 has mismatched speakers, and we shot both left and right speakers and did mixes that blend the two speakers together. If you love DC30 sounds, this is the IR collection you’ve been waiting for.

For a little “grind-ier” and less cliché Fender sound, try the 2x12 Blackface era closed-back Bassman cab we shot that is part of Public Hi-Fi’s studio collection. Perfect for Indie band tones using cranked clean (with a little grit) amps…I can’t say this for sure, but this cab probably was used on some Spoon records…

Oh, and there is a Vox AC-30 with two Greenbacks that belonged to Austin rock legend Charlie Sexton (Bob Dylan, Arc Angels, etc.) that is really unique sounding, plus a “MusicGuy” that is a cool Music Man 1x12 that sounds really great as well.

Vintage Cool & Rare
My favorite here is the awesome vintage 1966 1X15 Supro Thunderbolt amp/speaker, which pairs great with the Fractal Supro amp model. It totally gets that unique Supro vibe.

There is an old 50’s Gibson GA-30, a favorite in some recording studio circles, that has two different size speakers in it (we shot both) that pairs well with Tweed amps, very cool! There is a custom wood speaker cabinet with a vintage JBL d120f for those who like that speaker sound, which has a distinct high end (think Jerry Garcia, or Roy Buchanan).

The Pappas speaker is also great for cleans or jazz, as is the “Charlie Christian” Gibson suitcase amp/speaker, which has a newer Italian Jensen in it.

View attachment 42443

Last edited:
Agreed, austinbuddy’s Cab Packs are awesome, and well worth picking up. Nice to see a ton of the Big Bundle and CabPack 17 IRs represented in the III’s 2048 built in cabs as well!

Yes - those are some of the individual mic shots I liked, but none of the mixes I did (only available in the Cab Pack itself). I will be using some of those in the Axe III TonePack coming together for sure.

About 1 in 9 IRs in the Axe III are ones I produced; proud of that. Some other really great ones in there too from other providers. I'm liking a Zilla 2X12 Orange V30s from ML Soundlabs for a few things for example...

Hi everyone:

Completed a full 10.01 update for the Axe-Fx XL and XL+ and it is now attached to past orders in your account. If you login you should see it available for download to you, if you bought an XL or XL+ 700+ Naked Amps TonePack in the past. There are some changes and improvements to this version. The Cleans-Only presets have been re-worked and re-leveled for example.

I will work on getting a version out for Mark II users soon (hopefully by Tuesday night, but if not by then, it will be first week of June - off on vacation soon away from my machines). The Axe-FX XL models (and AX8) have cabs that go up to 189, but the Mark II only has 132 Factory Cabs. Just need to go manually through and substitute 110 specific cabs for the Mark II version that can't use the choices I made for the XL/XL+ and AX8 version. Roughly that's swapping out 1 in 7 cabs. Also need to update the preset and cab list for Mark II as well.

As of this day, Cliff has not yet released a Quantum 10.01 for the AX8, but I do expect him to anytime. Once he does, I will tackle creating an update for that unit and make it available.

This update is FREE to anyone who previously bought a TonePack. If you buy it today, you will get access to the above updates when available. You just have to create and account and login, it will be in your downloads area when I finish making all three of them.

I have a blog post on my website about theTonePack changes in Q10.01 -- it's here if you have an interest. Cheers!

WooC  XL+.jpg

Hi everyone:

Completed a full 10.01 update for the Axe-Fx XL and XL+ and it is now attached to past orders in your account. If you login you should see it available for download to you, if you bought an XL or XL+ 700+ Naked Amps TonePack in the past. There are some changes and improvements to this version. The Cleans-Only presets have been re-worked and re-leveled for example.

I will work on getting a version out for Mark II users soon (hopefully by Tuesday night, but if not by then, it will be first week of June - off on vacation soon away from my machines). The Axe-FX XL models (and AX8) have cabs that go up to 189, but the Mark II only has 132 Factory Cabs. Just need to go manually through and substitute 110 specific cabs for the Mark II version that can't use the choices I made for the XL/XL+ and AX8 version. Roughly that's swapping out 1 in 7 cabs. Also need to update the preset and cab list for Mark II as well.

As of this day, Cliff has not yet released a Quantum 10.01 for the AX8, but I do expect him to anytime. Once he does, I will tackle creating an update for that unit and make it available.

This update is FREE to anyone who previously bought a TonePack. If you buy it today, you will get access to the above updates when available. You just have to create and account and login, it will be in your downloads area when I finish making all three of them.

I have a blog post on my website about theTonePack changes in Q10.01 -- it's here if you have an interest. Cheers!

Getting an HTTP 405 Method Not Allowed error after logging in :(

Back
Top Bottom