Curiosity on durability

Clockwork Creep

Power User
Hi there,
Out of pure curiosity, here's a question:
For those who owned an Axe FX2, since it came out, or Axe FX1, for 10+years, did it ever break?
How often did you have to service it and what were the problems? I am under the impression that these things, unless it's a factory error, or a drastic user Goof, are invinsible.

In my case, I have my axe FX 2 XL for, like, three years.
I had two problems.
1) I touched my guitar to a radiator that for some reason has sent a current to the input and blew some components on the main input. There was smoke. And the front input didn't work. It was kinda hard getting info on what exact components they were, but when i got the info, I replaced them myself and it worked perfectly again ever since.
2) The cable hooking up the XLR outputs fell out, so the XLR outputs didn't work... I placed it back in.
That's pretty much it so far...

Power supply died. Out of warranty so ordered replacement through Mouser. $38 with free shipping.

2 screws and one plug in wire and was good as new.

My fan also got noisy, bad bearing. Again cheap part, 30 second swap, good as new, if not better since I upgraded to a better quality fan

Other than that, 100 reliable year after year, daily use.

Nothing is perfect but FAS is about as durable as it gets in terms of electronics

I’ve had my MK I for seven years. Zero issues. I’ve had my AX8 since before they went on the market. Also zero issues.

Regarding your mishap: if a radiator can send device-killing current through your guitar, it can also send people-killing current. That situation needs to be addressed.

I've had my Mark II for about 3 years. I had to replace the input jack on it. It was kind of a bitch to figure out what the problem was (low input signal, lots of hum like you're touching the tip of a guitar cable). Bought a new input jack from fractal for like $20. Super easy to install. No issues since then.

I've had my Mk1 since it came out (I got one almost as soon as they started shipping), I have had zero technical issues.

At one point, the screws holding the rack ears on came loose. Not sure how it happened (vibration from frequent travel is my best guess).

Nothing is indestructible, and a 'bad unit' may sneak through QC every once in a while for every electronic product on the planet. But the Axe stands up as one of the most reliable pieces of gear I've ever used.

(my experience has been the same for my Ultra and AX8 as well)

Had my II since 2014, all I can think of is that the edit button has got stuck maybe two or three times (not surprising given I edit from the front screen most of the time so it’s probably the most used button), and the markings on the on/off switch have worn off slightly.

I've been gigging with my Ultra at least three times a week for the past 9 years. It's taken a beating, both from shock/vibration and the intense Vegas heat. In all that time, I've had only one transient issue. A few months ago, my front panel meters went out for a day, but then came back on and I've never had a problem since.

Hi there,
Out of pure curiosity, here's a question:
For those who owned an Axe FX2, since it came out, or Axe FX1, for 10+years, did it ever break?
How often did you have to service it and what were the problems? I am under the impression that these things, unless it's a factory error, or a drastic user Goof, are invinsible.

In my case, I have my axe FX 2 XL for, like, three years.
I had two problems.
1) I touched my guitar to a radiator that for some reason has sent a current to the input and blew some components on the main input. There was smoke. And the front input didn't work. It was kinda hard getting info on what exact components they were, but when i got the info, I replaced them myself and it worked perfectly again ever since.
2) The cable hooking up the XLR outputs fell out, so the XLR outputs didn't work... I placed it back in.
That's pretty much it so far...

Owned Fractal for 10 years now, never had an issue.

EDIT, actually, just remembered, I did have some weird issue with the rotary controller on my standard, it wouldn't go back down presets.

USB port died on my XL after 2 yrs so I'm using M-Audio midisport Uno for Axe edit and back up...it's slow but get the job done.

Bought my mkII in June 2013. Bought an XL+ last year... The other guitarist in my band bought the old one. Never a problem with either.

Now I have the Axe Fx III - hoping for the same!

Bought my FX II in 2010, toured it extensively for the next 5 years, including a three month tour through the outback heat and dust (truck driver estimated he drove around 13,000 km of corrugated dirt road) through to the snow of winter USA and Canada (including plane cargo etc). All ok! Just have it an old SKB hard shell 2 rack case. Still cleaning the red bulldust out of it though...

I've had an MFC-101 breaking down during an update, and ended up getting a new one.

I've had my XL in for repairs twice, as it wouldn't boot, and recently had am issue where the volume made weird dives while playing, which turned out to be my own fault, as I had is set up w George L. cables (fool me once....), and was fixed with a new cable.

Everytime I have been taken extremely well care of by Fractal/g66, and had my unit back in less than a week. Don't think I've ever had a tube amp that came back from the repair shop that fast.

recently had am issue where the volume made weird dives while playing, which turned out to be my own fault, as I had is set up w George L. cables (fool me once....), and was fixed with a new cable.
I've been using George Ls cables for more than 15 years and never had a problem that wasn't my own fault.

I had two rigs with GCX loop switchers full of pedals plus amp and rack effects all connected with George Ls patch cables. And my main guitar cables are also from them.

Curious as to what the problem was? My guess is that either the set screw on the connector wasn't tightened enough or was over tightened...

had a little agro twice.. both times the same thing..
the cable from the motherboard to the front panel coming loose..
this was I think due to the shaking about during flights and rough handling by goons / baggage handlers in airports
pop the lid.. check and reseat all cables... mended.. gig.. folks clapping and cheering... Clarky is a happy pixie

Had an Ultra, zero issues, sold it to a friend, he has had zero issues to this day

I had an Axe Fx II MK II for a couple years, zero issues, sold it to a guy that had zero issues till it was stolen

Have an XL+ for a couple years now, memory chip went out, sent it back to Fractal and got it fixed, that was it. Believe that rough handling by Fed Ex was the predominant cause of that problem, the box was totally beat up when it arrived and fed ex left it out in the rain, with the plastic bag just sitting under the box .., assholes ... thankfully it was double boxed, but the outer box was DESTROYED

Regarding your mishap: if a radiator can send device-killing current through your guitar, it can also send people-killing current. That situation needs to be addressed.

If one radiator is energized, in all likelihood, they all are, given they are connected with metal pipes in a closed loop system.

My ultra is still very much alive and kicking with no issues. Looks and acts like day 1. Fractal quality FTW.

I’ve had my MK-I for almost 5 years. The only thing I’ve had to do is re-seat the LCD ribbon cable.

Only problem I had was the ethernet connection got weak and wobbly. Everything else still works like a charm. A few years ago I did get an AX8 for gigging so now my FX is just for my home studio. AX8 is built like a tank.

Back
Top Bottom