Custom front panel to rear instrument input has drop in power [solved]

Hello,

I'm a proud owner of an Axe FX 3 and as such want to keep it beautiful, safe and sound. So I picked up a case, a Furman power conditioner and a custom panel from which I can plug into instrument input, inputs 2 and 3, outputs, etc without having to access the rear of the Axe FX 3. So I have a cable (Mogami) going from the "instrument" on this panel to the rear of the Axe FX 3 however, when I plug my guitar into that plug there is a considerable drop in signal. The crunch that I hear when I plug directly into the Axe FX (front or rear instrument input, it makes no difference) is understated to say the least. The only difference here is the 3 foot Mogami patch cable.

There has to be a good explanation for why this is happening but I don't know what it is. This never happened to me on other guitar equipment.

Hope someone has the answer and thanks in advance.

Dan

Are you plugging a TRS cable (balanced) into the Instrument input on the back of the III perhaps? Use a TS cable (unbalanced).

Hi iaresse,

Thanks for helping.

Today I heard from Chris at Redco Audio in CT who built the panel for me. He told me to check to make sure the black sheathing on the hot wire (tip wire) was pulled back and not making contact with the soldered end. Sure enough, that was the problem. I thought it was a black wire containing the hot lead but it was actually a clear wire with an additional black insulator that was shorting.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Back
Top Bottom