AFIII Sabbath Cover - Paranoid - VH4

Genghis

Power User
Yeah, an easy song that everyone has done, but I wanted to post this anyway. I may have done the rhythm guitars before I got the III, so that part is probably the IIXL, but I finished up the vocals today and did the guitar solos with my III using the VH4 amp and a blend of cabs right there in the box. Some may be put off by the vocals, but it's really my first time trying this style of vocals. I came from the Robert Plant and Ronnie James Dio era, so this one is a real stretch and was a lot of fun to put down and mix.

Interesting take on a classic. The guitar tones were very nice for the song, sort of modern but also sort of vintage. The wah sound was very cool and the end part of the solo reminded me of Iommi on the Live Evil album.

The vocals... Not really my cup of tea, but that's just me. But I bet there's a crowd that will dig them.

Thanks. I was that way on the vocals myself, but Arch Enemy and a few of those bands kind of got me hooked just a little. Dio is still one of my favorites.

As I said, this was my first attempt at that type of vocal. Usually I'm more of a traditional hard rock/80s metal kind of singer. I was just kind of excited that I figured out how to do that type and thought I'd do it for this track. I'll most like do a whole bunch of stuff with that type of voice while it's new to me, and then just use it layered back to add texture to things as I get the technique down better.

I actually have double-tracked normal vocals panned left and right, but mixed so low that they aren't heard in the mix. It's just kind of a subliminal hint at what the melody should be.

And that wah sound is something I just stumbled on when I was experimenting with some routing. Basically it's a wah block tweaked the way I like it early in the chain. Between the drive and amp I run a parallel route to add in a formant filter that is fed by the drive, so it mixes in kind of nicely with the wah. Wah comes thru louder obviously, but with the formant filter being triggered by the pedal at the same time it adds just a touch more of a vocal quality when you mix them back together at the amp block.

Thanks. I was that way on the vocals myself, but Arch Enemy and a few of those bands kind of got me hooked just a little. Dio is still one of my favorites.

As I said, this was my first attempt at that type of vocal. Usually I'm more of a traditional hard rock/80s metal kind of singer. I was just kind of excited that I figured out how to do that type and thought I'd do it for this track. I'll most like do a whole bunch of stuff with that type of voice while it's new to me, and then just use it layered back to add texture to things as I get the technique down better.

I actually have double-tracked normal vocals panned left and right, but mixed so low that they aren't heard in the mix. It's just kind of a subliminal hint at what the melody should be.

And that wah sound is something I just stumbled on when I was experimenting with some routing. Basically it's a wah block tweaked the way I like it early in the chain. Between the drive and amp I run a parallel route to add in a formant filter that is fed by the drive, so it mixes in kind of nicely with the wah. Wah comes thru louder obviously, but with the formant filter being triggered by the pedal at the same time it adds just a touch more of a vocal quality when you mix them back together at the amp block.
Yeah... I thought I detected a hint of "normal" vocals in there, too.

I normally run my Wah before drives, but I should try moving it after... Been a while since I did that experiment.

I also have a preset where I run a Formant and Wah in parallel but it's an envelope (auto) wah that is more suited to clean tones. Definitely makes the wah seem more vocal.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had no idea if what I was trying would work, but I like the way it turned out. I did a lot of experimentation to see if I could get it any better, but the first one I tried was basically what seems to work best. Wah at the beginning with Formant later on, right after the drive, and right before the amp.

It was one of those weird things I decided to try and this one actually worked well.

I should be doing other things, but I got inspired and layered in some similar takes in a few original songs I have been working on. Most of those are just layering in that type of vocal with the original track I did, but in a couple of them it might work with just that type of vocal.

Back
Top Bottom