Definitive Guide to Using Speaker IR's?

ChrisYoung

Inspired
I am super late to the party on this. And have some questions. :)
I've bought several of the fractal cab packs and have used some of the cabs with my AFX II+. I do own Axe-Edit, MFC-Edit and Cab Lab 3.
But it's been a bit confusing, since there are multiple mics, micings and even mixes, etc for the cabs.

A few questions:
1. Instead of just loading up all the cab packs, am I supposed to try every individual version of these variations and make a choice by doing that? That seems daunting since I also own most of the Own Hammer and Celestion stuff to. Whats the most efficient way of sifting through all of it? LoL

2. I mentioned I bought most of the Celestion stuff, and after purchasing I see those cabs need converting to work with the AFX. Any videos out there that can walk a person through that process?

3. Are there any videos out there that can help get a Cab/IR noob up and running?
I'm surprised Cooper Carter or Katsu Kuri haven't done a more in depth video on this subject. They are pretty excellent at breaking stuff like this down.

I apologize for asking questions, that to most, may seem basic or perhaps even silly. LoL But cabs is something I always intended to come back around and start using, but I just never had the time until now.

Thanks for helping a brother out!
-Chris

Last edited:
My advice would be start with Quick Start folders and do your best to judge with your ears rather than your eyes. Once you get a feel for what you so and don't like, you'll probably notice you gravitate towards certain mics or mic blends and you can move on to playing around with blending different mics in Cab-Lab. It's up to you how deep you want to go into the rabbit hole ;)

This might answer a few questions; even though I'm using it with the AX8 it works great on the AF2.

I definitely find that I have preferred Mic choices, and in blind tests I always end up with my usual suspects. One thing that helps me a lot though, is to attempt to "reset" my ears now and then by listening to a sample of a guitar sound that I know I like every few minutes when sifting through the cab choices - this helps me keep the benchmark on what sort of sound I am going for. Too many times I have ended a long couple of hours session thinking I have made the perfect cab mix only to listen with disgust to it the very next day.

I definitely find that I have preferred Mic choices, and in blind tests I always end up with my usual suspects. One thing that helps me a lot though, is to attempt to "reset" my ears now and then by listening to a sample of a guitar sound that I know I like every few minutes when sifting through the cab choices - this helps me keep the benchmark on what sort of sound I am going for. Too many times I have ended a long couple of hours session thinking I have made the perfect cab mix only to listen with disgust to it the very next day.
That's great advice all the way around!
Thank you!

I find narrowing down cabs first by speaker choice, then mic choice helps. For a given amp, check Yeks amp guide to see what type of speakers work well. Also do some googling to see if there are any artists using the amp type and see what speakers they use, lastly and this is the rabbit whole method, try to find a completely unorthodox speaker choice. I don't recommend the last option but I'm sure there are some good sounds out there waiting for people more brave than I.

I find narrowing down cabs first by speaker choice, then mic choice helps. For a given amp, check Yeks amp guide to see what type of speakers work well. Also do some googling to see if there are any artists using the amp type and see what speakers they use, lastly and this is the rabbit whole method, try to find a completely unorthodox speaker choice. I don't recommend the last option but I'm sure there are some good sounds out there waiting for people more brave than I.
Good tips!
Thank you!

Adding to the above:

2. I mentioned I bought most of the Celestion stuff, and after purchasing I see those cabs need converting to work with the AFX. Any videos out there that can walk a person through that process?

You do not have to convert IRs in .wav format. You can directly load them in Axe-Edit's Cab-Manage and they will be converted on the fly.

More info about IRs and cabs:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Cab_block_and_IRs

OwnHammer/Guitarjon's tutorial:

Too many times I have ended a long couple of hours session thinking I have made the perfect cab mix only to listen with disgust to it the very next day.
Ear fatigue? After tweaking for a certain period of time your perception changes. Fresh ears don't lie.

Ear fatigue?

Yep, my biggest struggle. I suspect the biggest cause of this is because I'm monitoring through very (sub) standard monitors (KRK Rokit 6), and if I used something that is better quality then my ears would be able to discern the differences a lot quicker/more accurately.

Not everyone has expensive monitors so my way around that is to try to compare my tone to a decent sample/target sound. Not ideal but you get there in the end.

suspect the biggest cause of this is because I'm monitoring through very (sub) standard monitors (KRK Rokit 6), and if I used something that is better quality then my ears would be able to discern the differences
Not true at all my man! Ear fatigue is ear fatigue! It happens to all of us no matter WHAT you're using! That same crap that has you about to rip your hair out the next day happens here as well, and to many of my jam buddies. All it means is that you're a perfectionist and you're conscious of the sound you're going for. The thing that matters the most is when it's shit (the next fn day or two), you know it's shit, lol.

Not true at all my man! Ear fatigue is ear fatigue! It happens to all of us no matter WHAT you're using! That same crap that has you about to rip your hair out the next day happens here as well, and to many of my jam buddies. All it means is that you're a perfectionist and you're conscious of the sound you're going for. The thing that matters the most is when it's shit (the next fn day or two), you know it's shit, lol.

Lol! You have literally described me EXACTLY how I am! It's like you know me already! I might need to book some therapy sessions in with you and fire my current therapist (he doesn't understand the quest for tone). :D

This also reminds me of the old 'a good workman never blames his tools' saying. I think the OP will be getting a strong awareness of how important the right IR is now.

If you have a favorite mic combination, go right to those.
There's no way to go through so many IRs so just pick the first really good one. Otherwise, you'll be there all day.
If you've got a specific song or set of songs you'll be playing through the IR, this can help you target a sound.

If you have a favorite mic combination, go right to those.
There's no way to go through so many IRs so just pick the first really good one. Otherwise, you'll be there all day.
If you've got a specific song or set of songs you'll be playing through the IR, this can help you target a sound.
Sound advice!

Back
Top Bottom