Background noise?

As I noted, you will want to tune it to the amount and spectrum of hiss. The taper of the envelope follower curve also benefits from editing. If you just plonk the follower onto the frequency as a controller it can choke the note like a gate does or at the opposite end be virtually ineffective depending on the hiss, its frequency range, etc.

So I tried this method tonight...and while it does sound much better I still seem to be struggling to understand what I’m doing...I’m just turning knobs and hoping for the best...I need to see some sort of picture (or better yet a video) for what I am looking for...is there any guide you’ve seen for this?

Yeah a "hush/hiss" block would be amazing! While the Rocktron Hush has mostly solved my issues, it still isn't perfect since I have to turn the knobs differently per preset. So I can't lock in exactly the same thing each time, but it has gotten rid of all the noise that was sitting behind the notes. I do feel like it was weird to have to add additional hardware, but I am glad I bought it still because I can use it with my physical amps. But I agree, a noise reducer block would be a major selling point for the Axe3.

Yeah a "hush/hiss" block would be amazing! While the Rocktron Hush has mostly solved my issues, it still isn't perfect since I have to turn the knobs differently per preset. So I can't lock in exactly the same thing each time, but it has gotten rid of all the noise that was sitting behind the notes. I do feel like it was weird to have to add additional hardware, but I am glad I bought it still because I can use it with my physical amps. But I agree, a noise reducer block would be a major selling point for the Axe3.

I think I'm going to try the Hush and compare it to what I did with the filter block...While the filter block does take out the noise, it also seems to kill sustain...

I need to figure out a solution to this as well. Just got my III (its literally underneath my II) and I'm playing the same guitars in the same room as I've always played and there is DEF more noise. It's frustrating actually.

I think I'm going to try the Hush and compare it to what I did with the filter block...While the filter block does take out the noise, it also seems to kill sustain...

Please do. Would love to see your results. If you could record a video demoing, even better. Cheers!

You need to adjust the envelope controller. Raise the minimum value and adjust the mid point also look at the starting frequency do not just let it go all the way to zero.

Same problem here. Tried turning everything off, even have a Hum Eliminator. House wiring was done in 2004. Wi-fi turned off. Will keep hunting for the culprit(s).

D’OH! Found my culprit. It was a Boss 9V jack that was not attached to any stomp box. It was sitting under my M-13 and broadcasting a Mexican Radio [Wall of Voodoo]. Whew. That was driving me crazy shutting off debices, unplugging, muting mixing board channels, buying Hum-X.

Sometimes it is the little things

You need to adjust the envelope controller. Raise the minimum value and adjust the mid point also look at the starting frequency do not just let it go all the way to zero.

Can you post a picture of what your curve looks like?

I've been messing with this for days now...I still find it difficult to get a natural sounding decay while using these filters to reduce noise. I've had several problems...

1. If set too aggressively, it just acts like a gate.
2. If set to where it seems to reduce the noise there is an audible change each time the filter is modified by the follower...digital switching noise.
3. Additionally, I find that using the lowpass filter has a dramatic effect on tone...everything becomes muffled. If you're removing the noise you're also removing alot of your tone. This doesn't seem to be a problem with other noise reduction solutions on the market. (i.e. TC Sentry, ISP Decimator, Rocktron Hush)
4. If set to where there is a smooth decay it doesn't seem to have much effect on the noise.

I admit, I don't know what I'm really doing outside of adjusting parameters and seeing what happens. I've been researching noise reduction products and listening to demos, and I haven't been able to achieve what I hear is possible with the Rocktron Hush or ISP Decimator or TC Sentry. From my understanding of how they work it should be possible to do in the AxeFx, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Does anyone have any screenshots of settings or anything to help with this???

I'm with whoever said Cliff could probably work some magic with a dedicated noise suppression block...
@FractalAudio

Last edited:
I've been messing with this for days now...I still find it difficult to get a natural sounding decay while using these filters to reduce noise. I've had several problems...

1. If set too aggressively, it just acts like a gate.
Yes, two key controls work in combination here: The minimum frequency and the start % of the curve,
Minor controls: order of the filter, Q?

Raise the controls until the noise stops with no input and then lower them just below that point until they are not 'touchy'.

2. If set to where it seems to reduce the noise there is an audible change each time the filter is modified by the follower...digital switching noise.
Adjust the release time to be non-zero. The III is much worse here than the II, it has some crazy bounce at the end of the envelope... dunno why. If you watch it on the controller edit screen it seems that the follower value bounces all over the place right at the end of the decay...

Adjusting the release seems to keep it from overreacting to the 'bounce'. Never had to mess with this on the II.

Also, set tracking to 'Fast'.

3. Additionally, I find that using the lowpass filter has a dramatic effect on tone...everything becomes muffled. If you're removing the noise you're also removing alot of your tone. This doesn't seem to be a problem with other noise reduction solutions on the market. (i.e. TC Sentry, ISP Decimator, Rocktron Hush)
4. If set to where there is a smooth decay it doesn't seem to have much effect on the noise.

Make sure the slope of the controller (mid control, scale) allows the filter to open the frequency up all the way and keep it mostly open at the top and mostly filtered at the bottom. Also, the Q and filter order come into play. If you are filtering signal substantially with it wide open you have a major problem with how you have it set. You are not going to get major coloration with it wide open and max set to 10KHz or greater.

I'm with whoever said Cliff could probably work some magic with a dedicated noise suppression block...
@FractalAudio

Agreed... It would be cool if the Axe could just kind of look at the signal and adjust everything and it might have some tricks beyond just what the filter does... There are a lot of variables. I still need to try the gate block itself with side chai on input 1.

Yes, two key controls work in combination here: The minimum frequency and the start % of the curve,
Minor controls: order of the filter, Q?

Raise the controls until the noise stops with no input and then lower them just below that point until they are not 'touchy'.

Adjust the release time to be non-zero. The III is much worse here than the II, it has some crazy bounce at the end of the envelope... dunno why. If you watch it on the controller edit screen it seems that the follower value bounces all over the place right at the end of the decay...

Adjusting the release seems to keep it from overreacting to the 'bounce'. Never had to mess with this on the II.

Also, set tracking to 'Fast'.

Make sure the slope of the controller (mid control, scale) allows the filter to open the frequency up all the way and keep it mostly open at the top and mostly filtered at the bottom. Also, the Q and filter order come into play. If you are filtering signal substantially with it wide open you have a major problem with how you have it set. You are not going to get major coloration with it wide open and max set to 10KHz or greater.

Agreed... It would be cool if the Axe could just kind of look at the signal and adjust everything and it might have some tricks beyond just what the filter does... There are a lot of variables. I still need to try the gate block itself with side chai on input 1.

Thanks Zenaxe!

Sorry, I was out of town on business for awhile there. Ok, so I've tried what you suggested here and I must say, it definitely sounds better. That digital switching noise is gone and everything seems much smoother. Also, the tone is not affected anymore as well. However, there is a noticeable drop in sustain now. I'm assuming that since I'm clamping the noise the signal strength is degrading faster than it did without the filter block. Is there a method to combat this...to keep the noise out without losing the sustain of the notes?

Also, does the placement of the filter in the chain help/hurt aspects like sustain?

Last edited:
Thanks Zenaxe!

Sorry, I was out of town on business for awhile there. Ok, so I've tried what you suggested here and I must say, it definitely sounds better. That digital switching noise is gone and everything seems much smoother. Also, the tone is not affected anymore as well. However, there is a noticeable drop in sustain now. I'm assuming that since I'm clamping the noise the signal strength is degrading faster than it did without the filter block. Is there a method to combat this...to keep the noise out without losing the sustain of the notes?

Also, does the placement of the filter in the chain help/hurt aspects like sustain?
I generally place it in front, like a gate.

I generally place it in front, like a gate.

I know this is asking a lot, but I don't suppose you could make a quick video tutorial of this. I tried to get this all working and there was so many artificial artifacts that it just sounded awful.

It would be great to see how you made this work and then also show the before and after of the noise reduction off and then on.

Thanks!

I am having quite a bit of noise with my unit. I have tried turning every light and appliance off, switching guitars and cables, and speakers. It happens whenever anything is plugged in, even if it's a cable with no guitar connected and it doesn't increase or decrease when repositioning. In the same room and power outlet, a deluxe reissue with 2 pedals in front sounds clean without the interference. At a loss here...

I am having quite a bit of noise with my unit. I have tried turning every light and appliance off, switching guitars and cables, and speakers. It happens whenever anything is plugged in, even if it's a cable with no guitar connected and it doesn't increase or decrease when repositioning. In the same room and power outlet, a deluxe reissue with 2 pedals in front sounds clean without the interference. At a loss here...
Just buy a Rocktron Hush pedal. It got rid of all my noise issues. They have a dual version that you can place before the Axe FX and also loop it through the FX Loop before your cabinet. All noise gone.

Hi
When I got my III I almost posted an issue that it was much more susceptible to noise that my II - particularly airborne 50hz. After trying everything in the world, I decided to wait until there was more units out there and to see how they went (Didn't want to make waves). In my case, I think I was perhaps using more gain that I used to on the II (Wish I kept the II a bit longer now!). It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Thanks
Pauly

You just haven’t found the source yet. It’s there, waiting to be discovered.
I have the same issue. While moving the guitar around I found that it was loudest when held near the Axe FX unit itself. Moving it away and then closer, the noise faded and grew accordingly. It is REALLY bad when held right next to the Axe. I am afraid it is the Axe bleeding out interference. Does this happen for anyone else having noise issues or does my unit possibly have a problem? It’s less than a month old and I’ve had noise since day one.

Any help would be appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom