Mission Engineering SP-1 Step twice to turn on/off Wah?

Rexgtr

Experienced
Going thru the MFC manual, trying a bunch of settings but can't figure this out?

XS1 #097 (wah) Ch 01 Typ TOG need to step twice!

XS1 #097 (wah) Ch 01 Typ HDW step once but wah stays on when changing presets!

What I want is my Wah bypassed when changing presets and step on it once to turn on, once to turn off.
Something is eluding me here? Any help greatly appreciated!

The SP-2 won't turn an effect on by simply engaging the switch. It just switches the expression pedal between OUT 1 and OUT 2. I have mine configured with the "Auto-Engage" on. I also have the 'Off Value' set to 95% to turn the wah off in the toe-down position when switching back to using the pedal as a volume control.

Sonogiam, thanks. My bad I checked andI have the SP-1: I’m going to edit the title to avoid confusion, trying to get a solution.

Tog = Toggle, in this state the Wah should toggle on and off as expected within the same preset/scene. However, if you switch presets (of if the scene changes the state of the Wah block), the preset will revert the Wah to its default (or programmed) state, regardless of the switch's physical state. This could cause a situation where you need to press the button twice, in order to sync up the state of the Wah Block and the physical switch.

Example:
You turn on the Wah: Switch is On / Wah is On
You switch presets: Switch is On / Wah is Off
You click the switch: Switch is Off / Wah is Off <-- Nothing will appear to have happened with this switch
You click the switch a 2nd time: Switch is On / Wah is On

With HDW or Hardware, the state of the Wah and switch will remain in sync because the state of the of the hardware switch determines the state of the Wah block (like a real Wah). This seems to be what you are trying to accomplish.

Edit: Clarity and typos.

Icarusuki, thanks I’ll give the HDW setting a try. I did experiment with HDW setting but didn’t achieve the result I was hoping for.

When I first got the AxeFx II I liked the auto engage feature of the wah, then I wanted to leave the wah mid point for a nasal tone.
I like being able to program my main presets like this:
Clean. Wah off but can step it on
Dist: Wah off but can step it on
Lead: Wah on but can step it off.
I mostly just use these 3 presets.

I hope I haven’t confused global expression pedal with preset control?

I’ve had this problem for years of having to step twice to “turn on” the wah and twice to “turn off” the wah using a Boss FS-6 which is why I ditched that switcher for the Mission Engineering SP-1.

Clean. Wah off but can step it on
Dist: Wah off but can step it on
Lead: Wah on but can step it off.

That will cause you problems. It would get really complicated to work around that, when the simplest thing would be to set the Wah like a physical wah pedal, on and off with the switch. I've just started using all of my SP1s with auto engage, rather than deal with the switch.

I liked the auto engage feature of the wah, then I wanted to leave the wah mid point for a nasal tone.

You can do this by using auto engage with the position, rather than movement.

Have you tried using the XP ports instead of the XS ports? I have two SP-1's using XP ports 1-4 (Wah and Vol) and 2x2 external switches using XS 1-4 (scenes and a drive block). I rarely have issues with the SP-1's being on when they should be off or vice versa. However, I do have a similar problem as you with the XS's (having to press them twice for them to work) but usually one cycle through them in the preset and they're good.

Also, what firmware is your MFC on? I was on the latest when my SP-1 switches all but stopped working in the XP ports. I went back 1 firmware and all is good again.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head, you’re right I recall I used to have to hit the switch twice to cycle through first then it would respond to each step, I may have to roll back my firmware As you’ve figured out Narzugon, thanks!

I had a look at my FW version today. To be clear, with 3.09 my SP-1 toe switches did not work on the XP ports. I rolled back to 3.08 to fix that problem. However, the external switches on the XS ports still require me to cycle through them within a preset.

I changed some settings but I'm not sure which ones corrected my issue?
MFC101 version 3.08
The XS switch inputs 1+2, 3+4, I have a RTS going into 1+2 from the SP-1*
XS1 #97 Ch01 TypTOG
(changed these to off as I'm not using them right now)
XS2 #OFF Ch01 TypTOG
XS3 #OFF Ch01 TypTOG
XS4 #OFF Ch01 TypTOG
*Seems weird that MI suggests you use a RTS cable for both the expression and switch connection?
I figure a standard cable would handle the toggle on/off?
Maybe I should use a breakout cable with the MFC 1+2 switch inputs? RTS 1/4" male to L/R female 1/4"?

Anyhow I got the wah doing what I like now. Case closed. :)

Back
Top Bottom