Problems with EtherCON cable

oranheim

Hi,

I recently sold my MFC-101 Mark III, which I used with my Axe FX XL, using a FasLink Cable.

The guy that bought my MFC is having older Axe FX Mark I or II and he claims that the EtherCON is not working. My customer says that the error shown in the MFC display are: "name timeout". What can the reason for this be?

Does this have anything to do with connectivity requirements for the standard Axe FX II? Can he use an ordinary CAT5 cable. Does the CAT5 provide phantom power? Or, does he need an adapter between the MFC-101 Mark III to Axe FX Mark II?

Regards
Ove

Last edited:
Did he setup the MFC to use the expansion port? The QuickStart guide shows how.

Never use the adaptor and Ethernet at the same time!

Tell the guy to set it on the MFC and port type in axe I/O menu I believe. He should have done his homework

Here's what's been done:
Disconnected Axe-edit
Power off before connecting/disconnecting
Restored MFC to factory defaults
Selected expansion port
Enabled Axe-Fx Mode II
Updated to latest firmware on Axe-Fx II
Updated to latest firmware on MFC
Tried 5 different cables
Tried setting mode to "none" and MIDI works fine with the ethernet cable.

Homework: done. Now is there anything else I can try? I suspect that the ehternet port is damaged on one or both of the units. Seller says it worked perfectly with Faslink.

I am wondering, how is it possible to successfully upgrade the MFC firmware using cat5 cable if the ethernet ports are damaged?

Firmware upgrades MUST be done through the midi port, can not be done though the other ports.

Basic cat5 cable works and supplies phantom power. Ethercon is just cat5 with a locking metal collar

Try a different cable to rule out the most common issue of a bad cable

Basic cat5 cable works and supplies phantom power. Ethercon is just cat5 with a locking metal collar

Try a different cable to rule out the most common issue of a bad cable

He said he tried 5 different cables.

Tried 5 different cables
Tried setting mode to "none" and MIDI works fine with the ethernet cable.

This is the part I'm trying to understand, and I'll see if there is some kind of setting that would duplicate this on my end. So you get a "time out" error when you are in "Axe Fx II" mode, but in "None" mode the midi functions work through the ethernet cable? I'm guessing you mean that it's changing patches and IA's correctly, but it's not displaying names? I know what that could possibly mean in the Midi cable world, and maybe others who know more about ethernet cables can pipe in and say if there is an ethernet equivalent. Follow my thinking on this: Midi cables are 5 pin, but for regular midi cable (not bi-directional) you only need 3 pins. There are cables that you can buy that are 3 pin, and you may not know it. It has 5 pins on the ends, but only 3 are wired. The other 2 pins are needed for bi-directional communication, and if you use a 3 pin midi cable in "Axe Fx II" mode, you will get time out errors, but it would still work in "none" mode.

Does anyone know if there is an ethernet cable equivalent to midi cable 5 vs 3 pin problem? Like if it's a "crossover cable" instead of a regular ethernet cable, or something like that? Though it would be weird that The Guy would have 5 crossover cables lying around. Or if 5 regular ethernet cables aren't working in "Axe FX II" mode, but do work in "None" mode, is that a strong indication that one wire is bad on a jack on ether end? The Guy, do you know anyone else with an Axe Fx II that you can try with the MFC-101? Then if it is possibly a bad jack, you could figure out on which end it is.

Correct. I was not specific enough. Sorry.

No need to be sorry, I understood what you meant. Just wanted to clarify. So that means the port is sending info, but it isn't receiving it, I think. What I don't know is if that's a setting we are all missing, or if it's a mechanical failure. I bet if you send a message to Fractal Audio Tech Support and give them that information, they could probably tell you. I did buy a used MFC-101 that was having a different issue (the screen was going dim) and they were able to answer questions and give troubleshooting tips even thought I didn't purchase it directly from them. In my case, I did end up sending it to them for a repair. There was a labor fee, I believe. Your situation is different, so who knows what they would say. It would be worth asking.

The Guy, what *power supply (type/voltage/ampere)* did you use when you upgraded the firmware MFC using MIDI-cables? Cause, when you bought pedal board from me it didn't come with any. MIDI-cabling requires a power supply in order to work. Please let me know.

Had this problem with long Ethernet cable. Switched to shorter one and problem solved. I made my own ethercon cable and tested it (passed) but the problem persisted. I will cut the cable in half and retest.

Have resisted temptation with deoxit in order to maintain controlled experimental configuration. Unit is brand new and successfully flashed to 3.08.

making the cable shorter made no difference. I am using the "B" cat5 terminating protocol and maybe some EMF issues are arising. I'll try the "A" terminations and report back. The three footer still works.

Back
Top Bottom