AFIII Axe-Fx III + GetGood Drums Modern & Massive: 1h Song Challenge (Preset)

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

It's been too long since I've written a song and it sadly shows. Anyways this was a write-as-you-record type of session and this is what came out.

The preset on the Axe-Fx III was super simple. I mixed in two of the stock IR's unsurprisingly shot by myself:
Factory 2 - 1005: 4x12 USA Bulb 57 B1 ML
Factory 2 - 573: 4x12 Brit PR75 57 A1 ML

Those two IR's driven by the NEW FRIEDMAN HBE 2018!! So essentially everything on this clip is spanking new. :) Amp settings were stock expect bass: 3, middle 2.5 and treble 6.75. That's the guitar sound you're hearing and no post processing at all anywhere. The guitar used is an Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci Signature JP6.

How does it sound? :)

You obviously have the snare going through the axe fx! :p
The descending rif sounds very much like an old rainbow song.
Good stuff.
Thanks
Pauly

It's been too long since I've written a song and it sadly shows. Anyways this was a write-as-you-record type of session and this is what came out.

The preset on the Axe-Fx III was super simple. I mixed in two of the stock IR's unsurprisingly shot by myself:
Factory 2 - 1005: 4x12 USA Bulb 57 B1 ML
Factory 2 - 573: 4x12 Brit PR75 57 A1 ML

Those two IR's driven by the NEW FRIEDMAN HBE 2018!! So essentially everything on this clip is spanking new. :) Amp settings were stock expect bass: 3, middle 2.5 and treble 6.75. That's the guitar sound you're hearing and no post processing at all anywhere. The guitar used is an Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci Signature JP6.

How does it sound? :)

i know its not a relevant question but how can you make the visuals jump in synch with the kick and snare :D i really love that effect :D
sounds great by the way :)

i know its not a relevant question but how can you make the visuals jump in synch with the kick and snare :D i really love that effect :D
sounds great by the way :)
Ha! No worries. It's actually a pretty advanced After Effects thingy. Are you familiar with Adobe After Effects? What you need to do is export separate audio with just the kick and another with just the snare. Right here they're triggered so that what's actually happening is a zoom that's following the audio of the kick on the GGD package and then the Axe-Fx III is following the audio of the snare. It ends up being a super natural look as f.ex. the snare tracks also get a little bit of bleed from the kick so the kick shakes the Axe-Fx as well but not as much. One of my favorite effects as well and once you're more advanced with After Effects there's no limitation to what you can do. This is actually something I use on all the music videos I've produced for artists throughout the years. I've done color effects based on an instrument like f.ex. when ever the vocalist is singing the video might go a little bit more black and white and so on. Super fun... hard to do for sure but once I get into something I don't stop until I master it. Kind of like the IR thing. :)

Ha! No worries. It's actually a pretty advanced After Effects thingy. Are you familiar with Adobe After Effects? What you need to do is export separate audio with just the kick and another with just the snare. Right here they're triggered so that what's actually happening is a zoom that's following the audio of the kick on the GGD package and then the Axe-Fx III is following the audio of the snare. It ends up being a super natural look as f.ex. the snare tracks also get a little bit of bleed from the kick so the kick shakes the Axe-Fx as well but not as much. One of my favorite effects as well and once you're more advanced with After Effects there's no limitation to what you can do. This is actually something I use on all the music videos I've produced for artists throughout the years. I've done color effects based on an instrument like f.ex. when ever the vocalist is singing the video might go a little bit more black and white and so on. Super fun... hard to do for sure but once I get into something I don't stop until I master it. Kind of like the IR thing. :)
thats great thank you! as i said i really really like the effect so i think im gonna start using it soon :D

KILLER tone, Mikko! I dub this sound: ML Crunch Labs (this joke works on a couple levels). I'm looking for the Friedman 2018 in my XL+...no luck. :(

How are you liking those drums? I'm really considering getting them. What kind of things can you tweak? We're a bit on the experimental side of hard rock, so our drums tend to be tweaked a little different per song.

How are you liking those drums? I'm really considering getting them. What kind of things can you tweak? We're a bit on the experimental side of hard rock, so our drums tend to be tweaked a little different per song.

I dont mean to plug my own stuff but I did a video on them on what you can do with them. That is the best way to honestly show you. They give you way more shells and options.

I dont mean to plug my own stuff but I did a video on them on what you can do with them. That is the best way to honestly show you. They give you way more shells and options.

Thank you, that answered a majority of my questions. If I have any issues when I finally get it (it might be a few months, still trying to get a few other things first) would it be cool to message you?

KILLER tone, Mikko! I dub this sound: ML Crunch Labs (this joke works on a couple levels). I'm looking for the Friedman 2018 in my XL+...no luck. :(
I think my guitar had Crunch Labs in them actually. :D You have a good ear! ;) I'm digging the Friedman 2018 a lot at the moment.

I've been a huge fan of the Halpern GGD pack and love those. I think this one has better usability overall and the sound is not so genre specific like before it was kind of "the djent sound" and people wanted the pack because of that. I think this GGD library is capable of more genres than just djent even though I suppose GGD is somewhat labeled a djent brand.

I only used minor EQ on the kick and snare and other than it's a separate 1176 comp on the five drum groups: kick, snare, toms, overheads and room. There's way much more you can get out of it but this is just how they sound pretty much raw.

I like how punchy you got everything. Every pick stroke is pushing air out of my iMac speakers. I'd love to see a vid of you mixing this demo, just to peer inside the mind of evil genius.

I like how punchy you got everything. Every pick stroke is pushing air out of my iMac speakers. I'd love to see a vid of you mixing this demo, just to peer inside the mind of evil genius.
Oh thank you! Honestly nothing on the guitars. Friedman HBE 2018 with those two IR's straight into my DAW. I had the time limitation so I had to be quick. I think 90% of mixing if not more is about getting volume balances right and for that it's good to have some good mixes for a quick comparison while mixing. The way I mix is all about not relying on the "I'll fix it in the mixing process" because that usually leads to serious problems. :) It's all about getting good raw tones before you mix.

Back
Top Bottom