How loud should the fan be?

When I have a pair of km184 mics on an acoustic guitar, they can sure hear the axe fx 2 xl+ - I’m just praying my 3 is one of the unusually quiet ones.
Thanks
Pauly r

Auditory perception is an interesting field, but it keeps my job fun. Vision in comparison is pretty boring, 20/20 is the same for everyone. No one wants to have glasses that make things just a little fuzzy etc.
After being in a band and seeing everyone's in-ear molds and how different they all were - it suddenly clicked with me that we really do all hear differently; why our lead singer was always wanting more bass, why our drummer seemed to always want less.

After being in a band and seeing everyone's in-ear molds and how different they all were - it suddenly clicked with me that we really do all hear differently; why our lead singer was always wanting more bass, why our drummer seemed to always want less.

The acoustics of the ear canal really make a big difference for IEMs or in ear hearing aids. They have a device that lets you fit a little probe mic into the ear canal and then it also has a reference mic outside the ear. You then play a frequency sweep from a speaker and the unit displays the output levels across the frequency range, letting you see if there are certain frequencies that have a peak or a dip, based upon the resonance of the ear canal etc. sometimes a certain frequency is really acentuated which can cause someone to feel their amp needs more or less lows etc. These days things can be digitally adjusted through software but in the past you had to make physical changes to the fit, add an acoustic vent, change vent size etc to adjust the frequency response. Kind of fun in that it took some unique skills where today it’s a lot more just pressing a button and letting the software do all the work lol

The acoustics of the ear canal really make a big difference for IEMs or in ear hearing aids. They have a device that lets you fit a little probe mic into the ear canal and then it also has a reference mic outside the ear. You then play a frequency sweep from a speaker and the unit displays the output levels across the frequency range, letting you see if there are certain frequencies that have a peak or a dip, based upon the resonance of the ear canal etc. sometimes a certain frequency is really acentuated which can cause someone to feel their amp needs more or less lows etc. These days things can be digitally adjusted through software but in the past you had to make physical changes to the fit, add an acoustic vent, change vent size etc to adjust the frequency response. Kind of fun in that it took some unique skills where today it’s a lot more just pressing a button and letting the software do all the work lol

Think you are over analyzing this. It’s simple: if it annoys you it’s too loud.....

The fan in my III is much louder than the one in my II XL+. It makes a really annoying low-pitched drone which is currently the loudest thing in my studio. I can actually hear it over the fan in my GT1000FX, albeit only slightly.:(

Exactly what I’d say mine does. Seems we have 2 camps, fan is essentially silent and fan is noticeable, if not more so than previous units

Hate to throw around the “bad batch” phrase but I’m starting to wonder if maybe a few days but production used different parts or something.

Last edited:
The fan in my III is much louder than the one in my II XL+. It makes a really annoying low-pitched drone which is currently the loudest thing in my studio. I can actually hear it over the fan in my GT1000FX, albeit only slightly.:(

This accurately describes my unit, as well. As mentioned in my earlier post, I'm not in a panic... I'm reluctant to open the unit (warranty) until I can have a chat with FAS. That said, I'm curious to see how the fan has been implemented on the new design. If anybody has internal pictures, please share.

Agreed that we seem to have 2x camps. Has anybody approached FAS with this concern? I'm crossing my fingers that it's a straight forward fan swap to correct and a return won't be required.

My III fan is really quiet, barely noticable. I only have an original Axe-Fx II fan as comparison which is much louder.

Just a thought: but one thing to consider is the location and mounting of the fan. I had an amp that had an obnoxious audible whine of fan noise and decided to replace it. When I removed the fan and tested it: the fan itself was inaudible: all the noise was generated by the sound of air being pushed through the metal knock out holes on the back plate to which it was mounted. I was able to reduce it to acceptable levels by standing it away from the "grill" with a couple mm of nylon washers: but it would have be inaudible with a PC cage type fan cover or an open screen instead of the small slots. No III on hand to evaluate: but thought it bears mentioning as I've run into air flow noise issues with fans many times, and the difference of a mm and the aperture of the vents make a difference.

Last edited:
Just a thought: but one thing to consider is the location and mounting of the fan.

100% agree. I do electronics cooling as part of my 'real life'. Our fan is circulating air inside the chassis, as far as I can tell. So, volumetrically, there so very little passing through the chassis apertures. My thought was mounting... rubber mounts can help with vibration but, in many cases, over torquing or poor tolerances on mount points can compress/distort the fan housing. The result can often be noise as the rotor may not be running 100% freely.

I'm an engineer but I'm not the owner of this design. I have confident in FAS on the engineering and support side... I'd like to get an opinion from them but I reluctant to reach out until they can get their collective heads above water.

Exactly what I’d say mine does. Seems we have 2 camps, fan is essentially silent and fan is noticeable, if not more so than previous units

Hate to throw around the “bad batch” phrase but I’m starting to wonder if maybe a few days but production used different parts or something.

With a quieter background, yeah I can notice it... it's like a very distant vacuum. I guess I'm so used to my computer fan kicking on when compiling code that I just normally block fan noise out now. So not very distracting as the MK I Axe-Fx 2 was.

I'll probably replace it with a Noctua once the warranty expires.

Looks like the fan used is a Jamicon JF0815B1LM-R, an 80mmx80mmx15 fan.
http://www.jamicon.com.tw/media/flash/DCFanView/assets/pdf/JF0815-03.pdf

Perhaps this Noctua could be a nice replacement:
https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a8-flx/specification

Seems to meet the specs of the original fan, but noise 16dBA instead of
Beauty shot:
rKbPxbD.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom