Substitute for the "addictive" SDD Preamp?

unFILTERed

Power User
As @yek mentioned in his "Guide to Fractal Drive Models" the SDD Preamp has smth addictive. With the settings (drive 1.75, level 3.75) it adds definition to top end and with the low end i cant tell what it exactly does. It definately tightens things. but i feel like it does it without cutting low end. Maybe compressing and adding tiny bit off volume to low mids or smth.

Anyways, even though the Axe 3 has alot of power, i am trying to avoid using 1 drive block just for the SDD Pre. I tried replicating it with the new Input EQ in Amp Block. Got close but still not the same. The effect of SDD is actually really subtle, but once you get used to it, you miss it...

did anyone find a way to replicate the SDD Pre with an EQ or Filter block?

I read this post awhile ago and have actually been thinking about it. I think the answer is no... ;)

I had a real SDD3000 back in the day, and then had the (in)famous Triad pedal and other SDD preamp clones - and they weren't quite the same - even though the circuits were same/copy/close.

If you can tell the diff, I say use the drive block. There are plenty of options in this box to get drive tones!

TBH, the SDD block is so close to the "Klone" settings floating around I don't know why more people don't use it for that application.

Was gonna say FET drive, but you seem to be “out” of drive blocks?

You could flip your thinking and use an amp block w PA modeling off and make yourself another drive w the pre-amp section, and still have all the drive blocks for placing the SSD.

Was gonna say FET drive, but you seem to be “out” of drive blocks?

You could flip your thinking and use an amp block w PA modeling off and make yourself another drive w the pre-amp section, and still have all the drive blocks for placing the SSD.

Not really out of drive blocks or CPU but getting close. As of now i am using the second amp block for a different setting. And somehow i am not a fan of the idea of using the amp block as drive. Its just that SSD is sooooo subtle but still great, but the idea of using 1 drive block just for it was smth i need to get used to...coming from Axe Fx 2:) Anyways, thx for sharing ideas.

You can now run 4 drive blocks at once I believe so that should leave you with 3 options left.

Plus each block can have 4 channels so that is basically 12 seamless drive options per preset you can work with

This type of thing is one of the great things about the III, you don’t have to feel like your giving up another block to run an always on option

You can now run 4 drive blocks at once I believe so that should leave you with 3 options left.

Plus each block can have 4 channels so that is basically 12 seamless drive options per preset you can work with

This type of thing is one of the great things about the III, you don’t have to feel like your giving up another block to run an always on option

I think you didn't read my posts. To make it clear. I have 2 drive blocks already in my presets and getting close to CPU limit in Axe 3. I have already an Axe 3 and i am not predicting, litteraly building presets.

I think you didn't read my posts. To make it clear. I have 2 drive blocks already in my presets and getting close to CPU limit in Axe 3. I have already an Axe 3 and i am not predicting, litteraly building presets.
Wow, this is the first time I've heard of anyone getting close to CPU limits...

As @yek mentioned in his "Guide to Fractal Drive Models" the SDD Preamp has smth addictive. With the settings (drive 1.75, level 3.75) it adds definition to top end and with the low end i cant tell what it exactly does. It definately tightens things. but i feel like it does it without cutting low end. Maybe compressing and adding tiny bit off volume to low mids or smth.

Anyways, even though the Axe 3 has alot of power, i am trying to avoid using 1 drive block just for the SDD Pre. I tried replicating it with the new Input EQ in Amp Block. Got close but still not the same. The effect of SDD is actually really subtle, but once you get used to it, you miss it...

did anyone find a way to replicate the SDD Pre with an EQ or Filter block?

Well, you have 4 drive blocks in the Axe3 and each block has four channels...not sure what your use case is where you would need that much drive but assuming you still want to do it, my work around was to simply use an EQ block set flat and I would adjust the level to about where I wanted the end result to be and then I started tweaking the EQ as needed. I had an analog pedal clone of the same preamp that I used for reference because I was looking to replace it with the AxeFx but I could have just as easily used the model in the AxeFx as it was pretty spot on.

Well, you have 4 drive blocks in the Axe3 and each block has four channels...not sure what your use case is where you would need that much drive but assuming you still want to do it, my work around was to simply use an EQ block set flat and I would adjust the level to about where I wanted the end result to be and then I started tweaking the EQ as needed. I had an analog pedal clone of the same preamp that I used for reference because I was looking to replace it with the AxeFx but I could have just as easily used the model in the AxeFx as it was pretty spot on.

:) i dont need more than 4 drives (1 block-4 channels), where did you read that i wrote i need so many drive blocks? I just didn't want to use a 2nd block for the SSD only. Question was: Does anyone have substitute with EQ Block to emulate the SSD. But all good, i kinda like the SSD infront of Class A amps. So those presets will need a second drive block permanantly on with SSD. Not a big deal...

Back
Top Bottom