Background noise?

What is the ground lift test?
It’s the dangerous business of removing the ground from the power cable to fix a ground loop. But if the noise goes away when you unplug your guitar, then you’re dealing with radiated noise being picked up by your guitar, and power-line tricks won’t help.

I've turned everything off in the house - meaning shut down circuit breakers in various orders leaving one on for power - and ran an extension cord to different outlets and the noise is still there.

This could only mean the interference is coming from somewhere outside of my home - probably a nearby transformer or underground line.

I've turned everything off in the house - meaning shut down circuit breakers in various orders leaving one on for power - and ran an extension cord to different outlets and the noise is still there.

This could only mean the interference is coming from somewhere outside of my home - probably a nearby transformer or underground line.
Post a clip of the noise.

Same problem here. Tried turning everything off, even have a Hum Eliminator. House wiring was done in 2004. Wi-fi turned off. Will keep hunting for the culprit(s).

I had a cordless mouse that was giving me a similar buzzing issue at one point. I'm now using a corded keyboard and mouse near my guitar setup to be on the safe side.

I get a shedload of EMI from my computer too (sounds like the OP). I'd love to work out a way to shield it as its a ballache positioning my guitar in "the sweetspot".

I figured i could open the case and copper foil the insides, or tin foil it but that has about half the conductivity. I think you have to ground the foil to the case quite good as well or it doesn't work. Then i guess the interference should go through the motherboard lugs and eventually back to the PSU's earth?

Does your noise sound identical to the noise in the OP’s clip?

Yes. I can turn and find a sweet spot where there is little to no noise but that spot is very small. A turn of just a few degree's and I'm back in the noise.

And like I said, I experience this even with everything else shut off.

Yes. I can turn and find a sweet spot where there is little to no noise but that spot is very small. A turn of just a few degree's and I'm back in the noise.

Exactly the same situation as me. I even moved the Axe FX to different rooms in the house to test. Some were better than others, but there was always noise that would mess up a clean channel recording. I am using pretty cheap guitar cables, so I ordered some Mogami Gold cables, which are super expensive, but the best shielded cable you can get. Maybe that will help some.

I& you have wireless, take a walk outside, and see if you can locate the source.

I& you have wireless, take a walk outside, and see if you can locate the source.

I just have a Line 6 G10 so distance is limited. Plus, I wouldn't be able to hear it unless I bring my rig outside. I'm guessing that's what you mean.

I just have a Line 6 G10 so distance is limited. Plus, I wouldn't be able to hear it unless I bring my rig outside. I'm guessing that's what you mean.
That G10 is probably good to 100' at least, when you're outside. As far as being able to hear it, open a window. :)

I've been dealing with this off and on at our rehearsal studio with my AX8. Started about a year or so ago. Some rehearsals it's there some it's not. Really weird. We've turned off everything in the room and been in the dark and it's still there. Come in some days and it's quiet as a mouse. The days it's there I just crank up the gate and we get practice started.

If you have a dimmer switch, get rid of it. If you like dim warm light, turn off the overheads and install a small incandescent lamp.
I've also had good results creating dimmer effects using LIFX bulbs.

If you have a dimmer switch, get rid of it. If you like dim warm light, turn off the overheads and install a small incandescent lamp.
I've also had good results creating dimmer effects using LIFX bulbs.
I am assuming that just turning the dimmer lights off will help get rid of the noise. Or do you need to actually never even have a dimmer present in the wiring?

Shielding your guitars does wonders. A few years ago I went through and removed all the electronics from my guitars and shielded all the cavities with shielding tape and it worked wonders. Also goes without saying, leave your cell phone in another room.

I think I have actually mostly solved it. What I did was buy one of these:

http://www.rocktron.com/hush-2x.html

It goes through the FX loop of the Axe-FX 3 (Output 3 to Input3 blocks), and also has a second input that where I am directly inputting the guitar. Have a look at the video. So far I have checked it on a few presets and it has totally gotten rid of the noise lurking in the background. Sustain and tone seem mostly untouched. If I get really aggressive with the threshold it will slightly deaden the top end, but I have been able to avoid that by backing it off a bit. So far I am totally thrilled, as I had terrible noise behind all of my notes. I am not even using the gate in the video below.

Back
Top Bottom