[Not a bug] Potential Bug?

guitarcal

Inspired
I noticed a potential bug today.

I created a custom patch utilizing scenes and channels. It also includes a tone match block and uses IRs that I captured myself.
The patch is stored in bank 401. If I change banks and move back to this patch, I get a high pitched squeal when I play. It almost sounds like the cab block is bypassed and you are hearing the output of the amp only. It is just the higher frequencies though.

If I shut off the Axe Fx, and reboot, it goes away.

I uploaded a video highlighting the bug, the individual .syx and custom IR that I captured.
Here is the link: https://app.box.com/s/phm5ov5ru5dsrgm90uxq373rkrywiatn

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

...Edit - If I bypass the tone match block, save, change patches, and return to 401 the high pitched squeal goes away. This seems to be related to the tone match block?

There was another recent thread about a high pitched squeal during changes...

I just saw that. It looks like @FractalAudio responded that the buffer wasn't being cleared. The squeal I am hearing only occurs when I play, not constantly like in the video.
I added an edit above, mine seems to be more related to the Tone Match block.

It's a bad tone match or bad IR. Bypass the Tone Match block. If the squeal goes away that's your answer. Otherwise it's the IR.

If that's what's bad then yes. You have to be careful with tone matches. Matching a recording is an art-form. Matching an amp is easy.

I'll recapture and report back. Technically it was an amp match captured using white noise. What would cause a bad tone match if amp matching?

I'll recapture and report back. Technically it was an amp match captured using white noise. What would cause a bad tone match if amp matching?

The amp squealing during the match.

Pink noise is a better source than white noise. And playing your guitar is better still.

The amp squealing during the match.
Pink noise is a better source than white noise. And playing your guitar is better still.

Confirmed there was no amp squeal, but figured it out.

I had placed a high cut and low cut on the amp block. My guess is the tone match block was still attempting to match the entire frequency? I placed the low cut at 75 hz and the high cut at around 13k hz. I am assuming the tone match block was adding in the missing frequencies. There was definitely a spike at both sides of the tone match histogram.

Still curious as to why it worked initially, then change patches, and then no longer worked. Is there code attempting to handle this case?

Hope this makes sense?

Confirmed there was no amp squeal, but figured it out.

I had placed a high cut and low cut on the amp block. My guess is the tone match block was still attempting to match the entire frequency? I placed the low cut at 75 hz and the high cut at around 13k hz. I am assuming the tone match block was adding in the missing frequencies. There was definitely a spike at both sides of the tone match histogram.

Still curious as to why it worked initially, then change patches, and then no longer worked. Is there code attempting to handle this case?

Hope this makes sense?

Yes, it was trying to overcome the high-cut. Don't do that.

I think it would be nice to be able to tone match a frequency range.
When I do a tone match I am typically going after something in the mid range area.
Sometimes the reference or noise can cause artifacts at the extremes of the frequency range which can be troublesome.

Back
Top Bottom