[NOT A BUG] Possible bug in the compressor

So you would think having just an amp & cab preset with the same settings except for amp block levels, hitting zero on the respective meters, that it makes sense that with the XL output knob at 9 o'clock, the III's output knob needs to be at 12 o'clock to get to the same volume?
Yes. The taper on the knob is different.

The Axe-Fx III is not an Axe-Fx II. Many things have been improved.

Yes. The taper on the knob is different.

The Axe-Fx III is not an Axe-Fx II. Many things have been improved.
Understood. I'm surprised more people hadn't mentioned this so I thought there might be a problem with mine. I assume both at 100% would still give the same volume?

Not necessarily. The Axe-Fx III is not an Axe-Fx II.
It's a concern because my band plays really loud (an issue I have been trying to correct for ages) so I am wondering if I can even get the III heard over the rest of the band. My III level is now set where I normally have my XL set at rehearsal & I'm only getting neighbor friendly living room volume levels. Thanks for the help & clarifying it's normal operation for the III!

It's a concern because my band plays really loud (an issue I have been trying to correct for ages) so I am wondering if I can even get the III heard over the rest of the band. My III level is now set where I normally have my XL set at rehearsal & I'm only getting neighbor friendly living room volume levels. Thanks for the help & clarifying it's normal operation for the III!

The maximum output level of the III is greater than the II by a couple dB.

Not an Axe III owner yet, but I think I read somewhere that on the III the output level defaults to -10 dB instead of +4. That definitely would impact the overall output level. Try changing that to +4 if you haven’t already.

Not an Axe III owner yet, but I think I read somewhere that on the III the output level defaults to -10 dB instead of +4. That definitely would impact the overall output level. Try changing that to +4 if you haven’t already.
I already set it to +4 & the overall levels are still way below the XL at similar settings but Cliff says this is normal & the output knobs have different tapers than the older units.

This is with squeaky clean & slightly overdriven tones. Makeup gain was very noticeable in the XL. Not at all so in my III.
Output is set to:
Mode: stereo
Output Level: +4
Phase: Normal

Just to make sure: the settings above are for output 1 and you’re actually using output 1?

The Axe-Fx III maximum output level is over 22 dBu (!). The VU meters are calibrated to -12 dBFS. So at the zero line on the VU meters and with the output level knob all the way up you would be putting out around 10 dBu. That's enough to drive any power amp, and then some. The typical power amp has an input sensitivity of 0 dBu for full power so there's more than enough oomph there.

Back
Top Bottom