Closed Mic modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoSound

Fractal Fanatic
Will it be added back to the cab block at some point in the future? I bought a earthworks mic a few years back and am hoping to shoot a few of my own irs, which seems to make more sense getting them neutral and adding the mic flavor later?

You can essentially do the same thing as the mic Ir’s with an EQ, that’s really all those mic captures are.

Right...but why build a "virtual mic" when there were perfectly good mic sims that sounded like you expected them to already in place? They were an extremely helpful feature that frankly were the last thing that sold me on the AxeFx2 because they worked so well and made setting up in the studio a huge time saver. That's like ordering an omelette and instead getting the omelette you have been coming in for daily, your waiter comes back after a long wait and hands you a basket of eggs, cheese, along with other ingredients and the parts to build a stove and says, "Enjoy".

I haven't looked yet as I have not had a chance to do so since it arrived the other day but if they are not in there that is a huge misstep. Hopefully this will be corrected in an update really soon. I'm really counting on them being in there for recordings I have in progress and I'd like to not only use the unit I just laid down a lot of cash for but I need to sell the unit I have been using to help pay for it.

Last edited:
With 2000 some IR’s in the unit I think that instead of just one IR you just pick the IR that was done with that mic. Granted some like to add a mic to an ir that already had the mic “baked in”, but probably a slim minority.

I think the IR game has just changed to where the mic variety is provided by the IR these days and few were using the mic IR option

Reactions: Ole
Also I’d never suggest changing gear mid project because things change, for better or worse

Stick wit what works and then use the new gear and methods for a new project

Not gonna happen. What we found is that convolving a conventional mic IR with an IR obtained with a reference mic sounds nothing like capturing the IR with the conventional mic. The beam pattern of a reference mic is completely different than conventional mics. A reference mic is nearly omnidirectional whereas conventional mics have narrower beam patterns. In the far-field this wouldn't matter as much and "microphone modeling" might work. However in the near field this makes a huge difference and it simply doesn't work. Furthermore in the far field you want the response to be as neutral as possible so in this case there would be no desire for mic modeling anyways.

Not gonna happen. What we found is that convolving a conventional mic IR with an IR obtained with a reference mic sounds nothing like capturing the IR with the conventional mic. The beam pattern of a reference mic is completely different than conventional mics. A reference mic is nearly omnidirectional whereas conventional mics have narrower beam patterns. In the far-field this wouldn't matter as much and "microphone modeling" might work. However in the near field this makes a huge difference and it simply doesn't work. Furthermore in the far field you want the response to be as neutral as possible so in this case there would be no desire for mic modeling anyways.

Makes sense as I was thinking of far field and in the room sound. We have so many great options with ir’s it doesn’t really make sense to roll your own anyway.

And I have to say the new cab block in the III kicks serious a$$ with the options available.

Just my opinion and what (I think) I’m observing with an amp in the room sound is not so much frequency content but how the lower half of that content is timed and bouncing the room?

Just my opinion and what (I think) I’m observing with an amp in the room sound is not so much frequency content but how the lower half of that content is timed and bouncing the room?

Yeah. A guitar speaker is more directional in the high frequencies. The low frequencies have a much wider beam angle so they spread and bounce around the room.

convolving a conventional mic IR with an IR obtained with a reference mic sounds nothing like capturing the IR with the conventional mic
Maybe so, but it sure was a useful tool for extra tone shaping of any particular sound you could be going for. FWIW - When auditioning the mics in the cab block, I never even used to look at what the mic actually was... Just listened for the instant tone change.... Like it, dont like it.... Maybe etc etc.
Sure it might not be authentic, but was is? other than the real life amp/cab/mic etc.

Maybe so, but it sure was a useful tool for extra tone shaping of any particular sound you could be going for. FWIW - When auditioning the mics in the cab block, I never even used to look at what the mic actually was... Just listened for the instant tone change.... Like it, dont like it.... Maybe etc etc.
Sure it might not be authentic, but was is? other than the real life amp/cab/mic etc.

Essentially you can turn the levels or freq of a parametric EQ and stop turning when you like the change for the better

Essentially you can turn the levels or freq of a parametric EQ and stop turning when you like the change for the better
Of course - and this is something I do almost all of the time.
The mic simulation was a nice tool though I thought. Maybe Fractal can convert the EQ curves from the different microphones which can be exported to a PEQ block and given back to the community so people can use them as an EQ block option to be placed after the cab... I really don't see anything but good from that.

Capturing the eq curve of a mic should be easy I would think with a tonematch but to invert and remove it.......?

Right...but what I found was that when I used the mic models in the cab block in the Axe2 in the studio for the first time, in a matter of minutes I was able to get the sounds I expected to hear after 35 years of mic’ing my amp cabs with SM57’s and MD421’s by selecting my speakers of choice and those mic models in the cab block and simply running it into the UA stereo preamp I like to use...this was a huge selling point for me (the engineers were also pretty impressed) and I’ve since come to rely on it.

Forgive my lack of understanding regarding the process involved for making it happen but can’t you just put it back?

Right...but what I found was that when I used the mic models in the cab block in the Axe2 in the studio for the first time, in a matter of minutes I was able to get the sounds I expected to hear after 35 years of mic’ing my amp cabs with SM57’s and MD421’s by selecting my speakers of choice and those mic models in the cab block and simply running it into the UA stereo preamp I like to use...this was a huge selling point for me (the engineers were also pretty impressed) and I’ve since come to rely on it.
Among the 2000+ factory cabs in the Axe III, there many clearly-labeled mic choices. The chances of finding the cab you're looking for, together with the mic you're looking for, are excellent.

Among the 2000+ factory cabs in the Axe III, there many clearly-labeled mic choices. The chances of finding the cab you're looking for, together with the mic you're looking for, are excellent.

That will work. I’ve only had my 3 for a few days now and haven’t had a chance to do much more than scroll through the presets and test my favorite amps and pedals. Thanks.

I for one would vote against having mic models... since they're not realistic right? Microphones always sound very different depending on the placement and react differently so a simple model on a neutral mic is IMO not at the highest level of realism which is where we're aiming at. :) If only it was that simple I would save a lot of time in my life.. :D

But why take it away???? if you dont want to use it..... Then guess what.... Dont. Simple.

not at the highest level of realism
Mate, 85% of the parameters in the Axe FX are not "the highest level of realism" Look through any of the available parameter pages in the amp block.
Ultimately an "X" second digital capture of a 40 kilo cab pushing serious volts through a speaker, simplified/stripped down, gives you a high definition EQ curve to use......Not the actual real live cabinet... But who cares, as long as you get the sound you are looking for.... And guess what..... That's why we LOVE the AXE FX, the parameters you can access and change are amazing and keep the creativity levels amazingly high! 1000's of users will rely on this (whether they admit on this thread is a different story) Why take it away? Hell - why take any parameter away we have become accustomed to? If you dont want to use it - select NONE. One small step for Realism, one giant step backwards for users.... Maybe Kirk Hammett will ask for it to be re-instated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom