Songs: sets of scenes

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I posted this in another thread but it belongs here:

-----

I play in more than one band, and my main band plays more than 70 tunes.

Using the Axe-Fx II, I rely on a "preset-per-song" approach. Each preset has the correct tempo set for that song. I program scenes for various parts within each song. My RJM controller lets me name those scenes, which makes things a lot easier. Also, when I switch presets, the BandHelper app on my iPad switches along, displaying lyrics and info. It's all automated and very handy when gigging.

With the III arriving, I can keep doing the same thing, but not until Global Blocks are implemented. Programming all those song-specific presets again without the help of Global Blocks would be a nightmare.

Alternatively, the idea of sticking to merely a single (or a few) presets, using scenes and channels, is very tempting. But it forces a lot of tap dancing and/or tweaking between songs, scene names would not be song-specific, etc.

I do see and propose a solution. It 's not expanding the number of scenes, but having multiple sets of scenes as SONGS.

A song simply would be a set of 8 scenes, based on a single preset, just like we have now. But unlike the current situation, we could have multiple sets of 8 scenes, based on the same preset. Each set of 8 scenes would have its own name (song name). For example, I could have 30 songs (sets of 8 scenes), each one referring to the same preset and just switch between those, while the selected preset would stay the same. The changes to the architecture would be minor, with one exception: each song would have the ability to set the tempo.

Last edited:
Don't you think that the development resources could be better spent on global blocks?
I mean, if you need special effects or unusual routing, global blocks will save a lot of time for programming and preset maintenance.

By the way, do we know why there are no global blocks? I have using the one preset per song approach since gen 1 and when the 2 came with global blocks, instead of amps, it was a great thing.

interesting concept...man that is a ton of presets though! I only use a handful of presets per show...but I don't have song-specific songs...a few parts etc

I have something like this mapped out on paper in nice detail. It needs to be fitted in with a lot of other priorities, but here's the basic idea:

Sets have Songs
Songs
have Sections
Each Section consists of your choice of a Preset+Scene

Sets and Songs would probably have Names too.

For now, have you considered using Custom Mapping? Do you need more than 128 sections?

I probably don't need more than 128 different sounds for the gig. :)

Custom Mapping is another option, but drifts away from the "single preset" idea, is intricate to set up and maintain, and wouldn't support song-specific scene naming.

Last edited:
I have something like this mapped out on paper in nice detail. It needs to be fitted in with a lot of other priorities, but here's the basic idea:

Sets have Songs
Songs
have Sections

For now, have you considered using Custom Mapping? Do you need more than 128 sections?
Now...I'm interested...lol!!

Man, 70 presets? I thought my 25 was on the high side and that covers our entire 3 hour + song list which we usually only play an hour and a half, hour and 45 min or 2hrs. I generally use around 10-15 for a show. I have a few presets that cover more than one song though. But I do like your idea.

Sets have Songs
Songs
have Sections

This is similar to how the Rocktron Raider/All Access controller does it. You get 1-10 sets. Each set has 1-50 banks (one per song). Each bank can have 1, 5, 10, or 15 presets for the song (depending on how you've globally partitioned the foot controller switches). None of these have friendly names though so you have to know that Set 3 bank 32 is Jessie's Girl.

Man, 70 presets? I thought my 25 was on the high side and that covers our entire 3 hour + song list which we usually only play an hour and a half, hour and 45 min or 2hrs. I generally use around 10-15 for a show. I have a few presets that cover more than one song though. But I do like your idea.

Yes, it’s a lot. But basically they are pretty much all Global blocks in different order and combinations.

Sets have Songs
Songs
have Sections

This sounds very good and handy! It is setup a bit like this on the Liquid foot controler, except you can only map sections to presets. If but if we can have this directly on the axe with scene handling that would be so much easier!

Sets have Songs
Songs
have Sections

This is a cool idea, although I would favor the approach described by @yek specifically to address the "single preset" concept.

Actually, I would be fine if we just get more scenes per preset. I think this goes hand in hand with the increased capacity for blocks, the addition of Channels, etc.

I don't know what additional capacity for is required to store scene information in the presets, but it would be nice to allow for 16 or 32.

Sets have Songs
Songs
have Sections
Sounds right to me.

Sets have Songs
Songs
have Sections

+1000! this would work so very fine for me. At the moment I do the Yek tap dance too but it's hard to remember all the right settings. (at the plus side: it keeps me in tip top shape 😉)

This is a cool idea, although I would favor the approach described by @yek specifically to address the "single preset" concept.

Actually, I would be fine if we just get more scenes per preset. I think this goes hand in hand with the increased capacity for blocks, the addition of Channels, etc.

I don't know what additional capacity for is required to store scene information in the presets, but it would be nice to allow for 16 or 32.

More scenes for presets sounds great to me.

Back
Top Bottom