Post Your Axe-Fx III Rigs Here!

Yek, could you tell me the brand and model you use or post a link?

Rodney, it's custom-made.

Old picture:

It's quite simple. Sturdy wheels on bottom lid, which I never take off except for maintenance. And relatively shockproof. I just need to be careful not to spill drinks on it. :)

I do a lot on the front panel, and I like editing this way, because I can let my arm and hand hang instead of keeping them lifted all the time.

IMG_1184.JPG

Last edited:
Perhaps you can ditch the Rolls. Use an Input pair on the III to receive the mix signal and send your guitar+mix via an Output to the Shure.

I may look at doing that now that the III has multiple inputs... I assume I would need a small mic pre or something when connecting up a mic though. The cool thing with this approach is that once an app exists to run on iPad/iPhone, I could adjust the mix of everything remotely. Currently I have to fiddle with the sliders on the Rolls to mix the other sources together with the Axe into the Shure.

Rodney, it's custom-made.

Old picture:

It's quite simple. Sturdy wheels on bottom lid, which I never take off except for maintenance. And relatively shockproof. I just need to be careful not to spill drinks on it. :)

I do a lot on the front panel, and I like editing this way ,because I can let my arm and hand hang instead of keeping them lifted all the time.

View attachment 45825

yek, what is the weight of this rack case? does being a shock proof one add alot to weight?

The amp stand certainly does the job, but it's another thing to tote around and it definitely isn't a compact solution.

A rack case company should make a case with a hinged panel that's part of the bottom case panel, which flips down and can lock in several positions to give different angles. That's the way to do it...

yek, what is the weight of this rack case? does being a shock proof one add alot to weight?

The shockproof part is not that heavy, but the case is larger of course.
The wheels add most to the height (when keeping the lid on). But still not too heavy to lift in and out the trunk.

I think amp stands work better because they get the rack higher up, so you don’t have to bend way over. I had a little flip out tilting stand and it was annoying as I had to sit on the floor to use the front panel

Switched to a tall adjustable amp stand and I can have the rack at an ideal level for sitting in a chair or even standing to make adjustments.

If you just want to see the front panel then it doesn’t matter but if you tweak a lot the taller adjustable amp stands are nice.

I did a diy on mine so it had a wider platform and the feet of my rack “lock” into holes on the platform, very stable and secure

I think amp stands work better because they get the rack higher up, so you don’t have to bend way over. I had a little flip out tilting stand and it was annoying as I had to sit on the floor to use the front panel

Switched to a tall adjustable amp stand and I can have the rack at an ideal level for sitting in a chair or even standing to make adjustments.

If you just want to see the front panel then it doesn’t matter but if you tweak a lot the taller adjustable amp stands are nice.

I did a diy on mine so it had a wider platform and the feet of my rack “lock” into holes on the platform, very stable and secure

Understood, and of course you are right that is better if you can get it up higher. The issue for me is not having to lug around more stuff than is absolutely necessary. If I had a case with a flip down stand, I would just find another case at the gig to put it on top of to get it up to the right height...

Last edited:
The speaker stand is one more thing, but it isn't large or cumbersome to carry. The best part is that it does put the Axe FX at about waist level and facing upwards. No bending at all to adjust for me, and I leaned my old Atomic speaker back on it to angle it upwards as well, so everything was in a reasonably small space.

In the end, I preferred the flat mounting, as I can see it fine (which is going to be even easier with the III), I can tweak settings with a slight bending down, and I have a nice, flat place to put all my other stuff. On occasion, I have even put my monitor on top of it, standing on end, to get better coverage on medium sized stages (especially outdoors). Finally, in a sudden downpour (whether rain, or me being careless with a water bottle) nothing goes into the electronics! It's been the most flexible setup, and I'll be sticking with it on the III.

A word to the wise. I have found out the hard way that... Setting electronic equipment on top of vibrating speakers be it gig-level or wherever, is a bad idea.... Namely, because of doing so, I had some very inconvenient and dare I say 'Costly' repairs on circuit boards and other components, that needed to be repaired/re-soldered due to the interaction, (especially low frequencies) of vibrations from the cab(s) upon said equipment.

Lots of good ideas, but has anybody else tried to find an RU case that can sit at an angle? I'm looking for a case that can sit at say a 45-65 degree angle for viewing/adjusting above, like the way you can tilt/angle those Fender amps with the metal supports on the sides. It seems we only have a choice of putting our racks up on another chase till it's close to eye level, or bending down really low to a rack sitting on the floor for adjusting.

If there's not something commercially available, can anybody share a solution to this awkward ergonomic problem?

I don't have a III yet...My Axe II/G90/"power conditioner" are in a 4 space SKB that I place on an angled combo amp stand. I face it backwards to me and that way the axe is facing me at an easy to see/manipulate angle. I use this live and at practice. I was going to post a pic, but you can't see the stand as I zoomed in on the rack.

Back
Top Bottom