Power Over Midi

All you need is a 7 pin to 7 pin midi cable.

I should have specified. I'm using the MFC with the Axe Fx III in standard midi mode. The III doesn't have 7-pin midi and doesn't supply power over midi. This would be in lieu of what would normally be available on the older units.

the midi cable alone wouldn't transfer power. you need to plug in the power supply somewhere, which gets the power to the 2 extra pins on the 7-pin midi cable. RJM makes a phantom power box for 5-pin to 7-pin. not sure if it works with the MFC, but it might.

the midi cable alone wouldn't transfer power. you need to plug in the power supply somewhere, which gets the power to the 2 extra pins on the 7-pin midi cable. RJM makes a phantom power box for 5-pin to 7-pin. not sure if it works with the MFC, but it might.

Not sure if the Sweetwater link above worked or not, but this midi cable is 5 pins on one end along with a barrel receptacle for plugging in a wallwart, and then 7 pin on the other side. I was assuming that the positive and negative of the barrel was wired directly to pins 6 and 7 on the other side. So I would plug the barrel portion into the supplied Fractal wallwart that I would mount in the rack case. That is, if it really is as simple as that.

Not sure if the Sweetwater link above worked or not, but this midi cable is 5 pins on one end along with a barrel receptacle for plugging in a wallwart, and then 7 pin on the other side. I was assuming that the positive and negative of the barrel was wired directly to pins 6 and 7 on the other side. So I would plug the barrel portion into the supplied Fractal wallwart that I would mount in the rack case. That is, if it really is as simple as that.
oh. i looked too quickly. i assume it would work, if the wiring is correct for the MFC. i tried getting more info from the Rocktron site, but i can't find anything.

in theory, this should work.

Cool cool. Thanks guys. I've got one order. I'll let you know how it works out.

I ran the Rocktron 5-7pin cable with my GC Pro for years and it worked great. No issues over lots of shows. Only thing to maybe double check that the MFC gets power off of the same pins...I'd assume it's standard, but maybe worth an email to Fractal support to be extra sure. Does the MFC manual indicate which pins it gets power from? Again, probably a non-issue, but I tend to be a little OCD and fussy about that kind of stuff when it could fry something...o_O

Cool cool. Thanks guys. I've got one order. I'll let you know how it works out.

Hey Fro

I am just about to get an Axe FX 3 and am considering buying a discounted MFC-101 Mk3. Did this cable work for you?

Cheers
Paul

Back
Top Bottom