Digital In Issue with the Axe-Fx III? (preset included)

bradlake

Axe-Master
I have been attempting to create a III routing where I am sending a guitar input 3 signal from OUT 3 to the front input of AxeFxXL+, and returning a stereo (so I thought) digital signal from XL+ back into III via Input 1 (the only choice available AFAIK) , but I am only receiving the Left signal from XL+. and this occurs using both SPDIF or AES...I think all my I/O settings on both units are correct, but something is obviously wrong, Iam hoping its my configuration error. The same setup done all analog works perfectly, and when using the SPDIF or aES out on the III in a standard preset config into an Apollo works fine...would be great if someone could check the preset who has a similar setup..Thanks.+FLkPHWPSRSc4ECFZDMoRw.jpg

Attachments

• AES in test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Is the XL+ coming back in on Input 1? I preferred Input 3 for routing the XL+ back into the III.

Guitar --> III

Output 3 from III --> Input 1 on the XL+

Output 1 from the XL+ --> Input 3 on the III

Analog was just easier to get this working than with SPDIF and it has some additional convenience for recording as I monitor the III through my desktop setup via SPDIF out (but record via the USB I/O).

Is the XL+ coming back in on Input 1? I preferred Input 3 for routing the XL+ back into the III.

Guitar --> III

Output 3 from III --> Input 1 on the XL+

Output 1 from the XL+ --> Input 3 on the III

Analog was just easier to get this working than with SPDIF and it has some additional convenience for recording as I monitor the III through my desktop setup via SPDIF out (but record via the USB I/O).
yes I already used exactly the same routing as you for the analog solution, works great....the digital solution can only use Input 1 as I understand it....

yes I already used exactly the same routing as you for the analog solution, works great....the digital solution can only use Input 1 as I understand it....
I don't think the digital approach is going to work well for you. That's why I'm recommending the analog approach.

Gear is all packed so I can't play around, but this weekend I can probably take another stab at the digital approach.

A guess: Input 1 block isn't currently stereo-capable and only uses the left SPDIF in channel.

If you're applying any gain in the Axe-FX II you'd probably get quieter results with SPDIF send and analog (2, 3 or 4) return, freeing up the III instrument input for guitar.

A guess: Input 1 block isn't currently stereo-capable and only uses the left SPDIF in channel.

I have a feeling you are correct on this (gee, theres a shocker), I have applied all my options and get the same result, and have already made the physical and emotional adjustments around it..theres plenty of I/O to go around and the secret sauce in input 1 shouldn't be ignored....would be nice to get a confirmation on from the powers that be about this(ahem @FractalAudio @Admin M@ ) ..anomaly..Thanks again.

Last edited:
Page 19 Owner's Manual:

"Input 1 is mono, so the same signal is fed to both Left and Right channels. "

Page 19 Owner's Manual:

"Input 1 is mono, so the same signal is fed to both Left and Right channels. "
Yes , but I thought that Statement applied to the USB audio, not the the SPDIF and AES, ...it is rather crippling to be unable to bring a stereo digitial feed into the III, which seems to be the case if SPDIF and AES can only be routed to Input 1...and in my case , I am only receiving L mono, not the right...but as I and Ian said before, it is relatively easy to achieve the desired routing using all analog ... this is my only disappointment so far with this unit , perhaps this can be addressed In the future

Last edited:
Can't reproduce this. Working correctly here. I hooked an Axe-Fx II into a III via SPDIF. On the II I made a routing containing just a Filter block. On the III I made a routing that routes Input 1 to Output 1. On the II I then adjusted the Balance of the Filter block and, as anticipated, the balance out of the III varied accordingly.

FractalAudio said:
Should be an easy fix.

Can't reproduce this. Working correctly here. I hooked an Axe-Fx II into a III via SPDIF. On the II I made a routing containing just a Filter block. On the III I made a routing that routes Input 1 to Output 1. On the II I then adjusted the Balance of the Filter block and, as anticipated, the balance out of the III varied accordingly.

That really was an easy fix! And fast too!

Would it be possible for you to post those presets or screenshots so I can get a better handle on what you are doing there? Thanks.

I have been attempting to create a III routing where I am sending a guitar input 3 signal from OUT 3 to the front input of AxeFxXL+, and returning a stereo (so I thought) digital signal from XL+ back into III via Input 1 (the only choice available AFAIK) , but I am only receiving the Left signal from XL+. and this occurs using both SPDIF or AES...I think all my I/O settings on both units are correct, but something is obviously wrong, Iam hoping its my configuration error. The same setup done all analog works perfectly, and when using the SPDIF or aES out on the III in a standard preset config into an Apollo works fine...would be great if someone could check the preset who has a similar setup..Thanks.View attachment 45632
Is your Axe2 set to stereo output? Are other similar settings correct?

Back
Top Bottom