Can you use an IR to compensate for tone loss?

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
So i bought Line 6 HX effects unit, but i notice some tone loss when using it.

To measure a tone loss I used a looper and recorded a direct signal into logic and also recorded the same loop through HX effects.

I then used a Match Eq in Logic to see how these signals are different and here is the result.
It is a pretty noticeable low cut.

So if i have this eq curve, can i make it into IR somehow and use it to compensate for tone loss?

Attachments

• IMG_8181.JPG
    IMG_8181.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 44
You could try it and let us know. I might work, it might not. There is always three aspects to what we hear - compression/gain/EQ - and you are accounting for EQ only with the IR. Just IMHO and experience. Give it a rip and share your results.

It’s tricky. You can’t add something that isn’t there without it sounding strange. Even if it’s faint and you boost it, those frequencies will still sound odd and unenergetic.

It's not a very complex curve. It might be easier (and less CPU intensive) to use one of the many EQ options to make up the deficit.

I was thinking the same thing. The OP is used to Fractal Audio , and then plugs into Line 6 and notices a tone loss? Is water wet? Do bears sleep in the woods? Does Stevie Wonder?

Shoulda got an FX-8.

I was considering that. Actually Fractal must be one digital Multi FX unit that does not suck[tone].
Right now i have new HX effects and Boss MS-3 siting on the table and both will probably be shipped back. 2 new units just released and both colour the tone significantly.
I was looking for something small to complement my AX-8 for occasional use and one of these units would have been perfect. FX8 Is a bit overkill since i already have AX8.
I hope a new Fractal floor model is around the corner, that would solve all my problems.

I was thinking the same thing. The OP is used to Fractal Audio , and then plugs into Line 6 and notices a tone loss? Is water wet? Do bears sleep in the woods? Does Stevie Wonder?

I dont judge things before trying them out. Actually HX Effects is kinda nice, but i must be spoiled by Fractal. I mentioned tone loss in HX facebook group and nobody confirmed they notice anything different about the tone, so i thought maybe its a minor fix that could be handled by compensating these frequencies.

I dont judge things before trying them out. Actually HX Effects is kinda nice, but i must be spoiled by Fractal. I mentioned tone loss in HX facebook group and nobody confirmed they notice anything different about the tone, so i thought maybe its a minor fix that could be handled by compensating these frequencies.
I hear ya. I didn't mean my comment as a dig. I just know how spoiled we Fractal users are.

I was considering that. Actually Fractal must be one digital Multi FX unit that does not suck[tone].
Right now i have new HX effects and Boss MS-3 siting on the table and both will probably be shipped back. 2 new units just released and both colour the tone significantly.
I was looking for something small to complement my AX-8 for occasional use and one of these units would have been perfect. FX8 Is a bit overkill since i already have AX8.
I hope a new Fractal floor model is around the corner, that would solve all my problems.

Can't you just stick the HX in the AX8's FX loop? That way its out of your signal loop when not needed but still available when you need it.

So i bought Line 6 HX effects unit, but i notice some tone loss when using it.

To measure a tone loss I used a looper and recorded a direct signal into logic and also recorded the same loop through HX effects.

I then used a Match Eq in Logic to see how these signals are different and here is the result.
It is a pretty noticeable low cut.

So if i have this eq curve, can i make it into IR somehow and use it to compensate for tone loss?
Could you describe your whole signal chain? Is this right?

AX8 looper -> Logic
vs
AX8 looper -> HX input -> shunt (no effects) -> HX output -> Logic

Could you describe your whole signal chain? Is this right?

AX8 looper -> Logic
vs
AX8 looper -> HX input -> shunt (no effects) -> HX output -> Logic

This is correct. I loaded a random preset on HX and bypassed all blocks in HX.

You can compensate for EQ with more EQ, with wildly varying degrees of success.

But what most guitarists think of as "tone" is a lot more than EQ. Technically, tone is all about EQ. But when guitarists speak about "tone," they usually mean the total sound in all its aspects: EQ, distortion, volume, compression... Any one of those things can change the "tone" in a big way, and EQ will only affect one of them.

You can compensate for EQ with more EQ, with wildly varying degrees of success.

But what most guitarists think of as "tone" is a lot more than EQ. Technically, tone is all about EQ. But when guitarists speak about "tone," they usually mean the total sound in all its aspects: EQ, distortion, volume, compression... Any one of those things can change the "tone" in a big way, and EQ will only affect one of them.

I agree, but im not sure theres any distortion or compression, at least i do not notice these. I just noticed a thinner sound so i checked the Eq and there was indeed a low end loss.

Back
Top Bottom