Guitar Wireless Latency experiences

Beyond

My trusty old EV wireless unit is slowly falling apart literally..so now looking at a new unit. Looking at buying the Shure GLXD14R to rack with rest of the rig. We use a XR12 for our IEM and it's working great... I'm using a Shure PSM300 wireless unit with no issues.

Looking for advice, comments on your in use experiences with digital wireless especially the GLXD. Are there any concerns with the guitar wireless latency added to a digital mixer then to your IEM.

Did a search but more or less was comparison to your cab being at a distance behind you not direct to your ears.

Thanks in advance.

I use the glxd rack, and senn iemg3's, used to go into a x32 rack, now just a mixer. I cant feel any latency.. Wireless sounds great. the rechargeable battery is a game changer, 18-19 hours on a charge. one thing I never worry about in my rig is if I have a battery. one gig I played with 2 other bands and every band used my wireless, 3 sets didn't even ding it.

I can't help you much on the latency experience, except to say I don't notice it with my GLXD. Otherwise:

Pro:
Sounds great
Battery recharging option is great, will pay for the unit before long if you gig regularly
Battery life (length of time between charges) is outstanding
Setup is easy in a rack

Con:
Mine can have dropouts of signal when line of sight is lost, sometimes at close range. Hasn't happened enough to zero in on the issue, but thought to mention it.

Excellent experiences with my GLXD. Make sure to read the manual, some settings have more latency than others.

Thanks Rick... If I was just monitoring through a cab I wouldn't hesitate....just concerned cause of IEM as we do sequencing as well.

Always a good idea yek...i actually even read them before purchases to make sure. Going from memory grp 1 was 4ms and the other two grps were like 7.5ms or something like that.

I'm just hoping that since it's to iem that the toaly path latency is not s concern. I know I'm getting old and reaction time is slowing lol.

Cool... why did you switch from x32 rack to just a mixer. Was there any issues.

rest of the band kept looking at me for everything, and it was added pressure. I had to set everything up along with my gear, and I was essentially the monitor guy. All equaled too much for me to want to take on at gigs. So I got rid of it and made a smaller version just for myself. Everybody else is on their own. Kind of sounds selfish now that I write it out but it was becoming a buzzkill at gigs, and it's easier to just get rid of it.

rest of the band kept looking at me for everything, and it was added pressure. I had to set everything up along with my gear, and I was essentially the monitor guy. All equaled too much for me to want to take on at gigs. So I got rid of it and made a smaller version just for myself. Everybody else is on their own. Kind of sounds selfish now that I write it out but it was becoming a buzzkill at gigs, and it's easier to just get rid of it.
Ya that's understandable and why we are all using x air app to control our own mix. If they don't wanna adjust then they can live with a bad mix as it's their own..lol

Ya that's understandable and why we are all using x air app to control our own mix. If they don't wanna adjust then they can live with a bad mix as it's their own..lol

Same thing we used the phone app, and everyone would stand there looking at me. I'm like turn on your phone, open the app.... how do I connect? it's asking me for ip address.... etc etc... just was a shit show.

Same thing we used the phone app, and everyone would stand there looking at me. I'm like turn on your phone, open the app.... how do I connect? it's asking me for ip address.... etc etc... just was a shit show.

Oh how I hate it when my bandmates do that! I set up DNS on the router though, gave them an address and refuse to ever help with stuff they’re supposed to know no matter what. That changed the game a bit. :)

Oh how I hate it when my bandmates do that! I set up DNS on the router though, gave them an address and refuse to ever help with stuff they’re supposed to know no matter what. That changed the game a bit. :)

I had it all setup too, but the straw that broke the camels back was we did a gig, and the singer tanked, long story..... but some of the blame was on the mix and iems, so I vowed to never be put in that situation again. Mix they were in control of themselves.

back to the topic... sorry for thread de-rail.

Last edited:
I'm using a GLXD16 into the Axe, then into an XR18, into a P16M, into a Carvin EM900 IEM (analog). Even with all that latency added up, I really don't notice it.

Specifically about the GLXD, I love it. According to the manual, there is latency, but I don't notice it, and it doesn't affect my groove with the band. The battery is ridiculously good. I bought a spare and rotate between them, but you really don't need to. One full charge will last 12 to 14 hours, although I've never run one until it was dead, lol. I have the pedal receiver because I like to have a tuner at my feet. The tuner is easy to read, BTW. I'm basically never out of line-of-sight, so I can't comment on how obstacles & range affect reception. The reception on my IEMs is more finicky than the reception of the GLXD.

Oh, regarding adding up latency from chaining digital devices--I recorded a show like that (GLXD to Axe to XR18 to DAW via USB). I'm sure there's latency, but I couldn't hear it in the mix.

Thanks Desmo808 that's a perfect real life setup so close to what I'll be running!

Looking like I shouldn't have any troubles from these stories. The only thing might be to put the Xair on an external router on 5gHz if I run into troubles.

All you guys are great thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Love my GLXD16 so much that I bought the GLXD14R for my Axe III. Just finished the build. I typically run with group 4 since it has 27 backup frequencies (only 1 GLXD allowed). Group 2 is best for multiple users. Group 1 is lowest latency, and Group 3 is for pristine wifi environments. For those with older GLXD's make sure you upgrade to get the newer group 4 stuff that has been out for at least a year.

I've always heard latency from Mic/Instr to FOH is not as important as FOH to IEM. I believe there have been studies about this that I vaguely recall. That's one reason you don't see any (except MiPro) latent IEM systems. However, there are considerable microphone systems out there with latency that on the surface seems like a most unholy offense.

I’ve been using the G50 since it came out with zero issues. Big stages, small stages and outdoors stages.

Back
Top Bottom