Austin Buddy Looks Good, But What Else Do You Recommend?

KAM

I decided to cave in and buy a good preset pack. I've been looking at Austin Buddy simply because of how well the package covers a wide variety of amps and the quality the patches seem to have. It seems to me that the AxeFX excels at cleans and Marshall type amps most of all. I'm still new to the unit, but that's my impression thus far. Therefore, I don't really want to invest in clean amps since I don't play clean very often anyway. I'm interested mainly in metal, black metal, hard rock, and classic rock covers.

I tend to play a lot of Maiden, Satriani, and Yngwie kind of stuff, but lately have gotten into a lot of Metallica, Lamb of God, Pantera, etc.. In fact, I recently learned the solo to Tornado of Souls and want to also find a good Megadeth sound. Then I know some classic rock tunes like various Pink Floyd songs, Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo, Styx, etc...

There are a ton of youtube guys selling patches, and I've come across a few commercial looking sites that seem to offer decent packs. What do you suggest to fit my needs and with the best quality? Thanks in advance.

I’d say learn the box. Research the gear the guys use and recreate. What i did was setup a virtual pedalboard and copy it and swap out amps and cabs appropriately. Not going to happen overnight. If you have no patience, go presets packs. IMHO ymmv.

I’d say learn the box. Research the gear the guys use and recreate. What i did was setup a virtual pedalboard and copy it and swap out amps and cabs appropriately. Not going to happen overnight. If you have no patience,
go presets packs. IMHO ymmv.

I thought buying a preset pack might help me learn as well as get me up and running faster. I've been collecting lists of player's rigs and have made about 5 decent patches on my own based on them so far. I've downloaded a bunch of tone matched patches, but maybe 1 out of 10 seems to be worth keeping.

I have downloaded lots of free preset, and almost none off them worked for me.

The only preset I've paid for is Moke's JCM800 preset.......and surprise - that one works for me, so I can highly recommend his presets.

www.custompresets.com

Otherwise I agree with dpeterson above - learn the box.......and yes it takes time.
One important thing for me, was when I learned that a drive block (with drive=0) in front of the amp is good. I never tried that with real amps.
That and finding the right cab IR.

Cheers

Søren

For the tones you listed, I'd suggest you hunt down every free patch Leon Todd has posted. Some are on Axe change, some linked from this forum, and some linked from his YouTube channel (which also has very good info). If you still don't have what you need after that, you might spend money.

Hey Kam,
Ill second Mokes patches - all of them great. Also...you should get the Austin buddy pack, as that gives you the amps how they should sound...so you'll have a great base for your heavy and classic rock rigs ect - you'll be surprised how much easier the rig is to make if the amp and cab sound like you expect them to from the start.
Hth
Pauly

As Pauly said, between @Moke and @austinbuddy ‘s stuff, you will have really all you need to build your sound, and I also agree that @2112 Leon s stuff is well worth finding , his high gain tone is pretty impeccable.
I enjoy creating stuff from scratch , but there is so much to be learned from presets made by cats who really know what they are doing with routing, etc.

......and I , for one, am very curious to see what these guys, as well as all of us , can create with the power of AXEFX III at our fingertips ......

The three big ones to me that have provided most of my patches with little tweaking is Fremen ( talk box patch is my go to melodic rock patch, fantastic patch ), Mokes are great too, and I love Singtall's ..worth every penny I have spent on those, the amount of time it has saved me from building my own

Depends on what the intended application is. If you are looking for recording guitar tones, check out STL Tones. They recently released an AXE FX II version of each of their Kemper producer packs. So far I have checked out the Howard Benson and Kris Crummet packs. Cool "Sit In The Mix Right" tones. Def worth checking out.

I also echo Moke's stuff. Moke is the man and seems to have a really good ear for tones. Every time I use his Summer of 69 patch live, it makes me and bandmates look at each other and grin. :D <==== Like this.

I thought buying a preset pack might help me learn as well as get me up and running faster. I've been collecting lists of player's rigs and have made about 5 decent patches on my own based on them so far. I've downloaded a bunch of tone matched patches, but maybe 1 out of 10 seems to be worth keeping.

fyi, the tone match's have always been iffy ever since they came out. Seem to be very specific to your guitar and chain. This was re-done in the III so i'm curious to see if it's better. I hope they took a big swing at the K brand..

If you're a hard rock / metal player, you should try Leon Todd's free presets.
I downloaded a lot of them and they're excellent.
I think you'll find most of them in the AX8 section of the forum, but you can use Fractool to turn them into Axe 2 presets, very easy.

I wouldn't bother buying preset packs. If they include an IR with each patch then MAYBE it's worth the price but generally I would say downloading others presets and stealing some of their settings is the best option.
I stole the stock IR combination from someones preset and it's been glorious.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. There are so many good presets in the suggestions you gave. Now it's hard to figure out which ones to buy. I appreciate the guidance.

See my signature.

Awesome man! Do I just overwrite the factory presets with these?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. There are so many good presets in the suggestions you gave. Now it's hard to figure out which ones to buy. I appreciate the guidance.

Awesome man! Do I just overwrite the factory presets with these?

yup.

Lots of good advice in this thread.

Based on the types of music you like, go to YouTube and watch the videos on presets by Moke, Fremen, Leon Todd, Singtall, Glen DeLaune, and my Modern Bank from the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack (some good amp Modern amp examples on my Soundcloud page too).

Not omitting anyone on purpose, just that the above guys seem to know what they are doing.

See if any catch your ear/style and buy that one. See how you like it. Let us know!

But before you do that - go get Yek’s FREE presets and try them out. Great place to start. Hone in on the heavier sounds in his. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom