Tuner: 1/4 step?

kartman

Inspired
I know this is a bit uncommon... but, other than using my ear, I'd like to tune down 1/4 step...

In the AF2 tuner, I believe making the ref 440hz about -12.5hz would do it or set a 50cents offset. Sadly, the tuner doesn't seem to want to be set that far out in left field for either option .

Am I wrong? How would you guys do this?

I've looked at various VST plugins and just settled on tuning in the AF2 to the threshold of where the tuner hops to the next note... works but a pain.

Any suggestions?

The Axe II's tuner reference and offset range isn't wide enough for that. The good old Korg CA-30 has a reference range from 410 Hz to 480 Hz for about $20. I'm sure there's others that do as well.

Out of curiosity, why 1/4 step down?

I've got my 12-year old playing over the studio recording of Alone Again by Dokken, It's standard tuning minus 1/4 step and I was looking for a dirt simple way to get it tuned correctly when I'm not around. Then, after I tried to show him and failed (I assumed the Axe tuner would have the flexibility), it became a bit of a mission! :)

No clue why they recorded it like that but there you have it! Great tune.

Why not use the Amazing Slow Downer program. It's not super expensive and works great at that kind of stuff; change pitch of the original song to whatever you want and can also slow it down as desired.

or try "Transcribe!"

All good suggestions... I have tried this approach and actually use Transcribe .I used to use ASD too but found Transcribe to be a better tool.

Anyway, Transcribe only allows semitone adjustments. I'll look into Audacity. It's installed but I've never explored it for slowing and / or pitch shifting .

Thanks .

The native pitch shift plugin in Reaper works quite well too. Supports formant shift as well which can make it sound more natural.

All good suggestions... I have tried this approach and actually use Transcribe .I used to use ASD too but found Transcribe to be a better tool.

Anyway, Transcribe only allows semitone adjustments. I'll look into Audacity. It's installed but I've never explored it for slowing and / or pitch shifting .

Thanks .

I am pretty sure transcribe allows you to fine tune. I use it on some marty friedman songs that im sure are tuned weird

Back
Top Bottom