Best way to set up a Lead Boost for Solos?

Yes Filter block works. You can also use a Graphic EQ. Boost the level from 4 - 6db and then you can also use the EQ to shape your lead sound. I usually reduce the very low end a little and boost up the mids a bit, shave off just a little high end also.
this works great too, and i use this for electric guitar sounds. i even ALSO have the filter block in case i need even more from another type of sound. it really depends what's going on.

for the OP, keep in mind that if you boost any of the frequencies in the GEQ itself, that is essentially a boost in level, so you may not need to also increase the block level by a ton. adjust your GEQ sliders first, then see if you need an additional Level boost - you may only need 1 or 2dB more rather than the typical full 4+ dB.

Yes Filter block works. You can also use a Graphic EQ. Boost the level from 4 - 6db and then you can also use the EQ to shape your lead sound. I usually reduce the very low end a little and boost up the mids a bit, shave off just a little high end also.
This is the way I do it, too. One clarification, I like to use a "scenes" to to make the change to a lead.

I use both what @chris and @richb suggested. I use a filter block on all my presets for a boost, not just for solos, but for dynamics as well. I also put a lead scene in my presets. I always assign footswitch 1 to scene 1 and footswitch 5 to scene 2. By doing that I can easily toggle between the scenes. You can download a few of my presets and then use the AX8 Edit to see what I did. Just search the forum for my name.

When building a preset, the amp I use for scene 1 and scene 2 are usually the same. For scene 2, I usually push the drive and boost the volume for a lead tone. I prefer my leads to be the same amp as the basic amp sound in the preset. For example, for a Vox AC30 preset, I would have scene 1 just at the edge of breakup, and scene 2 would be the same Vox AC30 cranked up. There are several ways to manipulate your sound in a live situation. The flexibility of the AX8 is amazing.

All seem like great techniques guys. Cant wait to put them to work! Also, yes the AX8 has been, so far, the coolest piece of gear I own.

I use the Filter/Null method and it works real well. I have scene 3 set as rhythm and scene 4 with the filter block, lo cut EQ and delay block active

I use both also but kind of lean towards the filter block more these days.
Definitely good tip by Chris about lowering the bass a bit in the boost. I never did that because my starts always sounded ok.
Tried tonight and, Thanks Chris, now they sound even better. Duh.....Took me long enough!

Hello, to boost the solo I use a block filter, see the screen copy.

Greeting

Attachments

• Booster.JPG
    Booster.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 109
I’ve always used a filter block as well, but really want to try that EQ idea. In combination with scenes, there’s a lot of possibilities.

My solo boost is a Filter block, not with NULL, but with PEAKING. Gain is +6db for a fat Mids boost centered on 770Hz with Q about 0.3.

Use this when you want to DOMINATE the mix.

I increase volume of the scene of lead to 3 db.
I put too eq block on mission pedal and set to min ( to my normal basic volume ) and max (to 3,4 db,) this way I can increase volume anytime I want to parts or solos

Last edited:
What methods are you using?

I use a filter block at the end of the chain with a 3db increase. I also set up a second filter with a 3db boost, but set the switch to "Momentary" for doing short fills. I have an external momentary footswitch coming in today so I can task the latter function to that.

Back
Top Bottom