What do you use for backup if AX8 dies at gig?

Nothing! I've never had a FAS product die.

Actually, my AX8 did die on me. I sent it for warranty repair and it was returned about 10 days later. Great support and excellent service but realistically working 25 years in IT on servers, routers and other gear, even the best digital devices can have a rare breakdown.

Eighteen months later and the AX8 has never failed again and doubt it ever will again but you never know.

Actually bought an Atomic Amplifre 3 button unit shortly after the repair and really liked the amp and cab tones however the awkward SEND/RETURN and goofy expression controls made me sell it. Also find the way Atomic software has a hard to adjust modulation and effects. Bought the AFB immediately when they started taking pre-orders.

Had the Amplifre 6 been around, that would have been my spare as they added 3 more foot switches, a real loop, and 2 expression pedal jacks in a package about the same size it seems. So it all fits in a tiny bag which is the criteria for any backup rig. Don't want a second AX8 to carry around.

That being said, if Fractal released some half sized "AX4", the Atomic gear would be gone in a heartbeat.

My AX8 has been supper reliable and is built like a tank, but it is an electronic box and electronics can die at any moment for any number of reasons. And while I've never heard of an AX8 dying at a gig, it certainly could. Without a backup you would be totally screwed.

I've considered picking up an Axe FXII - but that is a pricey backup, and a big box to lug around "just in case". Loading a tube amp in the vehicle kinda defeats one of advantages of the AX8 (not having to lug an amp). My PA head (Soundcraft Ui24R) does have Digitech amp modeling on a few inputs, but the one time I played with it I couldn't stand it.

At the moment I'm considering picking up an Ampli-firebox. Its small, cheap, looks easy to use, and probably sounds good enough to save the day if the unthinkable were to happen. So what is your plan B?
With prices dropping....If I were still playing big gigs and showcases I would just get a second ax8 and duplicate my structure. You could have 2 for far less than an ax3.

Never had a problem with my AX8. @Rick said it best.
I carry a flyrig5 as well. Affordable , small , sounds decent , no reason not to.
I try to have a backup for just about every part of my setup , from cords , power supplies , mics , guitars , speakers , ... You name it.
I've had every one of these things fail at a gig before. It's a great feeling to have a replacement when it happens.

Never had a problem with my AX8. @Rick said it best.
I carry a flyrig5 as well. Affordable , small , sounds decent , no reason not to.
I try to have a backup for just about every part of my setup , from cords , power supplies , mics , guitars , speakers , ... You name it.
I've had every one of these things fail at a gig before. It's a great feeling to have a replacement when it happens.
Exactly that :)

SansAmp. Grabbed it on eBay for $75. Keep it in my gig bag.
Years and years later, never had a true issue at a gig that a reboot didn't cure.

I have never had a fractal Axe die on me, I had the ultra, ii, XL, and now Ax8. My back up for many years had been a Flyrig. Now it is an Amplifire Box

I use a Mooer Baby Bomb and a Mooer Brit Gold preamp with a A-B switch right on my board. No effects but the footprint of the back up rig takes up the space of 2 boss pedals and can switch over instantly if needed.

+1 on the RK Flyrig - would definitely get you through a night or a set when you could then troubleshoot the AX8 IF something were to happen.

Touch wood my AX8 won't die mid gig (hope that hasn't cursed it)

I used to use Kemper live and that failed to boot up once so a rummage in my box of random stuff I drag to gigs was a Blackstar HT Dual pedal with a speaker sim direct out which I plumbed into the PA. Needed some hard EQ-ing to sound OK but that gave me a clean, crunch and OD sound.

I've also got the original line 6 POD in the bag as a backup to the backup. Still love the JCM 800 model in that thing.

I leave a Digitech RP360 in my car at all times. In a pinch it would do. I'd have to go home afterwords and wash my ears out with lighter fluid, but I can't let my adoring fans down - either of them.

Thanks everyone! Aside from shelling out for a 2nd AX8, looks like the most popular options are the Fly rig or the Amplifire box. I'm kinda leaning towards the Amplifie box since I have a ton of pedals lying around and would be fun to build a small pedal board. Then again the fly rig is tiny.....I think I'm gonna borrow a buddies fly rig and see what I think first hand.

Since the subject of backup for other elements arose, here is what I do....
  • I always have more than one guitar at a gig (though they are always very different guitars), but hey they all have strings and would do in a pinch.
  • We use in ears, but have powered wedges in the bus, so if the in ears system craps out or a main dies, we have a backup.
  • If the PA brain dies we have a few options as well. We keep a small old Mackie in the bus, and all the powered wedges (including the mains) have a mic input as last resort. I always bring my CLR moniotor, so unless it is a really big gig, I (and the rest of the band) can just use the stage volume for the audience.
  • And if it is a really big gig, someone else is responsible for sound and it isn't my problem.
That covers just about everything except me. I'm working on collecting DNA samples from guys like Jimi, Wes, Stevie, BB, etc so I can make some sort of hybrid clone. Once I get that solved I'll just stay home, drink beer and collect checks.

Don't have any backup yet. Stupid--I know.

Been looking at the Mooer pedals. Small footprint, easy setup/teardown. Also no worries about programming. Just want something that will get me through the gig.

Lots of great ideas in this thread so need to weigh the options.

my backup the amplitube app on my iphone coupled with an iRig adapter :-D

and i have actually used it once!

I'm using a Vox Tonelab EX.

Great tones and for backup at a now very frugal cost.

I'm setting up for the AXEIII and having the my Ax8 as backup.

Back
Top Bottom