Axe FX Ultra & MFC-101 MK III, Lag/Tremolo problem

Is the Ultra not compatible with the MK 3?

• It is compatible

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • The Ultra is not compatible with the MK 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Igal Michael

Dear Axe FX users,
I have recently bought an MFC 101 MK III so I can change presets in live performances,
The problem is, there is delay/lag when switching presets, and audio is cutting, like it's tremolo, the problem fixes itself after 1 minute of switching to the preset, but it's not good for live because I'm going to be switching presets constantly and I don't want people to hear audio cutting and lag.
when I switch the presets on the MK III, the number of the preset takes time to appear on the Ultra.
So in short, when I switch presets, the audio cuts like it's a tremolo, takes time for the screen to show the number (Ultra Screen), but the problem fixes after 1 minute of playing in the same preset, but will repeat itself when switching to a different one.
Also, I do have FW 11 on my Ultra and I have latest FW on the MFC-101
Thanks in advance,
Igal Michael

Dear Unix-Guy,
Thank you, I'll read this manual, I already had Ultra mode set.
Well its 1 minute at a maximum, but its 25 + seconds at a minimum.
If this is the nature of the device, then I guess I can't use it since for live it's too much.
I tried a different midi controller (ART-X11) ( just to see if my Ultra is faulty) and it works just fine switching between presets, no problem.

Dear Unix-Guy,
Thank you, I'll read this manual, I already had Ultra mode set.
Well its 1 minute at a maximum, but its 25 + seconds at a minimum.
If this is the nature of the device, then I guess I can't use it since for live it's too much.
I tried a different midi controller (ART-X11) ( just to see if my Ultra is faulty) and it works just fine switching between presets, no problem.
I suppose you could try the MFC in "non Axe Fx" mode, but then you lose a lot of the benefit of the MFC.

You could also open a support case with Fractal. They should be able to help.

What MIDI channel is the Ultra set for? (I/O: MIDI)

This sounds like what might happen if set to "omni" while the MFC sends program changes on every channel. Change channel to "1" if it's currently "omni".

What MIDI channel is the Ultra set for? (I/O: MIDI)

This sounds like what might happen if set to "omni" while the MFC sends program changes on every channel. Change channel to "1" if it's currently "omni".
In I/O Midi it is set to 1, I have actually tried to set it to omni and I can't find it, I can only find 1,2,3,4,5... etc

One of the many reasons I still use the Ultra is how 'fast' it changes presets via MIDI. Something has to be hooked wrong or a faulty component. While finicky MIDI is pretty straight forward. I believe it is stated the MFC-III is compatible with the Ultra. I don't think they would advertise this if it performed as you describe.

I would try a factory reset on your MFC. You might consider a system reset on the Ultra, down the road, if it doesn't straighten up as well as double check your cables maybe with cable tester.

Hi everyone good news, I have solved the problem.
So all this time I only had Midi Out from MFC-101 to Midi In of Axe-FX,
But I also needed another Midi cable to connect from Midi in of MFC-101 to Midi Out of Axe-FX.
Thank you all for the help!

Hi everyone good news, I have solved the problem.
So all this time I only had Midi Out from MFC-101 to Midi In of Axe-FX,
But I also needed another Midi cable to connect from Midi in of MFC-101 to Midi Out of Axe-FX.
Thank you all for the help!
Are you using a 5 or 7 pin midi cable? You only need 1 cable if using 5 or 7 pins (rather than 3 pin).

From the MFC manual:

MIDI OUT: This 7-pin jack is a regular MIDI OUT port for connecting to any MIDI device. Any Axe-Fx will be able to utilize this port for 2-way communications so the MFC-101 can send and receive data over a single cable. The Axe-Fx and certain other devices can also supply phantom power to the MFC-101 via a 7-pin cable connected here. See Getting Connected on p. 8.

I think 7 pin is only required for power... 5 pin will work for 2005-cobalt-blue way midi.

Are you using a 5 or 7 pin midi cable? You only need 1 cable if using 5 or 7 pins (rather than 3 pin).

From the MFC manual:

I think 7 pin is only required for power... 5 pin will work for 2005-cobalt-blue way midi.

I'm using a 5 pin monster cable,
but when I disconnect the 2nd Midi Cable (not monster, I don't remember the name but I'll check later) the sound starts to cut again but when I connect the 2nd one it solves as soon as I put it in.

I'm using a 5 pin monster cable,
but when I disconnect the 2nd Midi Cable (not monster, I don't remember the name but I'll check later) the sound starts to cut again but when I connect the 2nd one it solves as soon as I put it in.
hmmm... Well, maybe all 5 pins are not wired. Sometimes only 3 of the pins are wired.

Back
Top Bottom