So What's New on the III? ...(Axe-Fx II vs III)

Sure... anything you want. 4 channels of one amp, or a 2 channel amp with and without boost/fat/bright switches, or 4 totally different amps.

Question for the ones who already have their Axe III and also owned to Axe II.
If you are really honest is there much difference in sound between the two?
Do you notice a huge improvement? both in amps and effects?

I am not talking about having more options and connections etc. but purely soundwise.

Question for the ones who already have their Axe III and also owned to Axe II.
If you are really honest is there much difference in sound between the two?
Do you notice a huge improvement? both in amps and effects?

I am not talking about having more options and connections etc. but purely soundwise.
i think it's important to put in perspective that the II sounds really good already. i think people are expecting a change from an Atari video game to a modern day 3D shooter. that's just such a huge jump and at this point, it's just so good already.

that said, my very first impression even months ago is that the FEEL is just so nice. it does sound better for sure. i would go back and forth between the II and III while testing presets. and again, the II is excellent - if the III never came out, i would have no problems. but the III definitely feels and sounds better.

i don't think i can quantify it. it's not like "20% better" or anything. it's just an overall sensation, spending hours and hours with both units back to back. the II is GREAT. the III is great-er!!!

i do some very simple duo gigs, with only 1 speaker, no monitors, etc. even though i can take the more portable AX8 to these gigs - which again sounds great, it's dialed in, perfect already - i still take the III and a small controller because it just is so nice. it feels more dynamic, cleaner/clearer, among other things.

IMO the single most glaring difference between II and III is the improved noise floor , which impacts all other factors.

I can't tell at all. Mainly because I can't play guitar so I'm waiting for my son to come home for the weekend so we can jam. :)

However, cosmetically the pictures online don't do it justice. It's very well constructed and a serious piece of eye-candy.

IMO the single most glaring difference between II and III is the improved noise floor , which impacts all other factors.
Did you come from the XL+? I noticed the lower noise floor between the II and XL+ also. So I think for someone coming from the non XL it will be more drastic.

I agree on the noise floor improvements. Amp block is a hair better, I think. I like having a bit more control on the pre-EQ there. For my leads I sometimes bump the mids there to get a particular tone that you can't really get just with a drive or with the amps tone stack.

Really, the hugest improvement for the tone for me is the way they did the cab block. I seriously doubt I'll even dig into my collection of aftermarket IRs and mix things with Cab Lab at this point. There are so many extremely high quality IRs right there in the stock list and the way they designed the mixer for the cab block really couldn't be better. Very well done. I kind of joked about them making my IR collection obsolete in my review, but damn... it really doesn't need User IRs any more.

And yes, the effects are noticeably better. Love the new chorus on cleans, and just for shirts and gurgles I tried out the new quad harmonizer and is pretty killer. Not just more voices, but very tight tracking as well.

I agree on the noise floor improvements. Amp block is a hair better, I think. I like having a bit more control on the pre-EQ there. For my leads I sometimes bump the mids there to get a particular tone that you can't really get just with a drive or with the amps tone stack.

Really, the hugest improvement for the tone for me is the way they did the cab block. I seriously doubt I'll even dig into my collection of aftermarket IRs and mix things with Cab Lab at this point. There are so many extremely high quality IRs right there in the stock list and the way they designed the mixer for the cab block really couldn't be better. Very well done. I kind of joked about them making my IR collection obsolete in my review, but damn... it really doesn't need User IRs any more.

And yes, the effects are noticeably better. Love the new chorus on cleans, and just for shirts and gurgles I tried out the new quad harmonizer and is pretty killer. Not just more voices, but very tight tracking as well.

Awesome review. I WAS holding out just fine , waiting for my invitation. Lol

I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to noise floor. Proof in the pudding, I finally saw a video that showed compression pedals and it's effects to satisfaction. Is anyone able to explain it to a quasi-simpleton like myself?

Thank you....this is an honest request, I just don't know it's value.

The channels thing is awesome!!!! I love the screen. I love having the tuner on screen all the time and also being able to control “block level” from layout view. Very helpful things

Thanks for the input guys! Guess I am trying to find reasons not to buy the Axe III. Since I don't really need the extra connections and other new things. Also modelling wise I don't need all the amps and cabs since I only use a few in my Axe ii anyway. So my only concern is the sound and the effect improvements. If the sound is only hair better and Fractal's main focus is not effects but more on amps (as it was for the last two years or so) buying the Axe fx III is overkill for me.

Can you (or someone else) elaborate on that some more? Besides a few changes and new things I see that most algos are the same as in the Axe fx II (as far as I know). Exactly what did change in the Chorus algo soundwise?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom