AustinBuddy Naked Amps Tone Pack (still) Rules! ... New Website up...FM3...coming soon(ish)

Haven't had any time to play with it, doing other beta stuff... but I will and will report.

I like to do A/B clip tests with a looper, few different amp models, and two firmware versions, and that takes a little time to do...but then you really hear differences (if any). I've always got the baseline 8.02 presets I love to compare to, and if it sounds as good as those or even better, I'll be a fan!

Just got my new XL+ with 9.04 and downloaded the 700+ pack, plugged in my new Maybach Tele and WOOH..
Good for hours of unstoppable playing.
Like there is something in it, which i did not hear before. Very pleasing, especial the natural dynamic distortion, alive, vibrant and organic to put it in words
As for the several amps in the pack i used to play in the real world, its feels all very authentic as far i can tell.
Also it is very helpful that each preset has the FX block, same way as i use this in my set-up.
Now my Strat and Les Paul are waiting for a tour.
Next weekend a gig with the band, already looking forward.
Dear Austin, great job, thanks.

I have been testing comparing 8.02 to 9.04, same presets between two firmwares using my XL and AX8... will try to post a video with a few comparison examples by next weekend.

In general, my impressions so far are that presets originally created for 8.02 (and then made compatible with 9.02) are darker sounding on the new 9.04, meaning, without as much high-end detail - it's a notable absence compared to 8.02. They are also more compressed sounding. Not sure if there are simple solutions to getting them to sound like 9.02 or 8.02 (thoughts out there?)

Personally, I still think 8.02 is the bomb — fantastic high-end definition. It may be that under 9.04, that high-end can re-dialed back in, but for me not so easily so far... you probably will need to turn up treble for most amps by at least “+1” number setting to get back towards the 8.02 tone originally dialed in... but am glad a few of you have posted that you like the presets with 9.04...they will be a little darker and more rounded and compressed basically.

I have been testing comparing 8.02 to 9.04, same presets between two firmwares using my XL and AX8... will try to post a video with a few comparison examples by next weekend.

In general, my impressions so far are that presets originally created for 8.02 (and then made compatible with 9.02) are darker sounding on the new 9.04, meaning, without as much high-end detail - it's a notable absence compared to 8.02. They are also more compressed sounding. Not sure if there are simple solutions to getting them to sound like 9.02 or 8.02 (thoughts out there?)

Personally, I still think 8.02 is the bomb — fantastic high-end definition. It may be that under 9.04, that high-end can re-dialed back in, but for me not so easily so far... you probably will need to turn up treble for most amps by at least “+1” number setting to get back towards the 8.02 tone originally dialed in... but am glad a few of you have posted that you like the presets with 9.04...they will be a little darker and more rounded and compressed basically.
@FractalAudio commented in the Axe Fx firmware thread that the bass and treble were less compressed in Q9.04...

@FractalAudio commented in the Axe Fx firmware thread that the bass and treble were less compressed in Q9.04...

Yep -- I know he did say that, BUT I don't know if Cliff may be comparing it to 9.03, not 8.02... what is the benchmark?

My job is to figure out how the 9.02/8.02 TonePack presets sound under 9.04, and so far in A/B testing, they sound the way I described above to my ears.

Not a complaint on my end -- they don't sound bad. They just don't have the detailed high-mid end as present as when I dialed it in pretty meticulously originally under 8.02, and still there in 9.02 with SPKR COMP set to off.

When you hear/see the video examples I am putting together and will post, side by side, you'll hear it instantly. Hope to get that out next weekend, I'm traveling some this week, will take time to do it right.

Cliff wanted to get that speaker compression thing going as part of the amp models, and for me, I generally just leave it off for what I like -- the amp is more dynamic and responsive to me to play this way. Not everyone may play like me, or likes that though. He also did change the power amp somehow in 9.0 (says in notes). He's a genius and knows what he is doing, always trying to make it better!

I just really really like firmware 8.02 -- very detailed high end. It may be that I can get 9.04 presets to sound like 8.02 versions, which is my gold standard firmware, but so far, have not figure out any easy ways to get there -- that power amp modeling changed it coupled with SPKR COMP.

Between my AX8 and XL, I'll always have a Fractal unit here with 8.02 loaded on it! But that doesn't mean 9.04 won't work fine, as others have said above -- glad they are liking it under 9.04 too. And who knows when firmware 10 may come out? hahaha

Last edited:
Yep -- I know he did say that, BUT I don't know if Cliff may be comparing it to 9.03, not 8.02... what is the benchmark?

My job is to figure out how the 9.02/8.02 TonePack presets sound under 9.04, and so far in A/B testing, they sound the way I described above to my ears.

Not a complaint on my end -- they don't sound bad. They just don't have the detailed high-mid end as present as when I dialed it in pretty meticulously originally under 8.02, and still there in 9.02 with SPKR COMP set to off.

When you hear/see the video examples I am putting together and will post, side by side, you'll hear it instantly. Hope to get that out next weekend, I'm traveling some this week, will take time to do it right.

Cliff wanted to get that speaker compression thing going as part of the amp models, and for me, I generally just leave it off for what I like -- the amp is more dynamic and responsive to me to play this way. Not everything may play like me or likes that though. He also did change the power amp somehow in 9.0 (says in notes). He's a genius and knows what he is doing, always trying to make it better!

I just really really like firmware 8.02 -- very detailed high end. It may be that I can get 9.04 presets to sound like 8.02 versions, which is my gold standard firmware, but so far, have not figure out any easy ways to get there -- that power amp modeling changed it coupled with SPKR COMP.

Between my AX8 and XL, I'll always have a Fractal unit here with 8.02 loaded on it! But that doesn't mean 9.04 won't work fine, as others have said above -- glad they are liking it under 9.04 too. And who knows when firmware 10 may come out? hahaha
Good point about which version he was basing that on :)

I didn't think you were complaining... Just trying to share some info.

@Ragdoll (Leon Todd!) did another great video review of the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack, this time focusing on some Class-A style Matchless types of amps.

Love how great players like Leon get inspired when they play these tones! Thanks mate for taking time to produce this and share with all of us!

Gday,
Just bought them - wow - I see what you mean! It's refreshing to hear just the amps for a change!
Also (unexpected) there are some very good staring points for bass amps...$78 and and worth it.
Thanks
Pauly

Thanks Pauly. Enjoy!

For my American friends, $78 Australian is equivalent to $59 American (the price has not changed!)

Wanted to share a story.

Yesterday I got a call from the guitar tech for Taylor Swift. He’s a great guy, met him before. He has the Tonepack and they are preparing for Taylor Swift’s next tour. (sidenote: She had the highest grosssing tour of any act in America last year I believe).

They are using Fractal Axe-Fx again on tour. The tech and her guitar player were doing a deep dive into the TonePack to audition and compile tones for the tour’s set list. Blown away! He called just gushing about it, we chatted for 45 minutes. He said what many of you have written here, how the tones were so true and inspiring to play.

Calls like this make my day. Just had to share!

Last edited:
:D
Wanted to share a story.

Yesterday I got a call from the guitar tech for Taylor Swift. He’s a great guy, met him before. He has the Tonepack and they are preparing for Taylor Swift’s next tour. (sidenote: She had the highest grosssing tour of any act in America last year I believe).

They are using Fractal Axe-Fx again on tour. The tech and her guitar player were doing a deep dive into the TonePack to audition and compile tones for the tour’s set list. Blown away! He called just gushing about it, we chatted for 45 minutes. He said what many of you have written here, how the tones were so true and inspiring to play.

Calls like this make my day. Just has to share!
That’s fantastic! .............Now get back to work on your new Naked Amp Pack for AXFX III.....!:p......(hope you were able to keep your beta unit...yeah I know ...NDA....)​

Last edited:

Calls like this make my day. Just had to share!

That would make my day too. . . . congrats!

Just curious. . . . what Quantum version is he running?

Terry.

That would make my day too. . . . congrats!

Just curious. . . . what Quantum version is he running?

Terry.

He told me 8.02. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Not uncommon that touring bands stick with a firmware a generation or two back. You don’t want to be changing firmware in middle of a tour.

He told me 8.02. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Not uncommon that touring bands stick with a firmware a generation or two back. You don’t want to be changing firmware in middle of a tour.
I'm still on 8.02. I decided to focus on playing! I'll move up when it makes sense, but I won't do each release again, like I used to. Your presets caused that shift for me.

Terry.

I'm still on 8.02. I decided to focus on playing! I'll move up when it makes sense, but I won't do each release again, like I used to. Your presets caused that shift for me.

Terry.
It’s my favorite of all time. About to get into Axe III Ares so that will be good to check out, Cliff did some cool re-working of stuff...

Hmmmm. Maybe I will roll back to 8.02 from 9.04 on my XL+ when my III arrives next week, so I can still have Naked Amp optimal goodness in one of my new Stereo loops........
Edit...while waiting for my plumber who has yet to show up, I decided to back everything up and check out again 8.02, the first time I have ever backgraded on this unit, and since I seem to use the Naked stuff more than anything by a long shot , and @austinbuddy has advocated this for some time, might as well ...and.......
I think I agree with him, that 8.02 may be more the pleasing sounding FW, at least with his Amp pack....
I’ll have a little fun with it until I dive into the III rabbit hole on Monday..................

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom