My Secret Formula

Dial up the Band Commander preset and use a single coil pickup. Play with the dials and the effect is rather obvious when using FRFR.

The "Character" parameters are two of the most powerful advanced parameters available but I bet almost no one uses them.

My secret formula:
Character Frequency: 3000 - 5000 Hz, adjust to taste
Character: -0.5 to -1.0, adjust to taste

oh.....this is a game changer.....time to edit everything!

The "Character" parameters are two of the most powerful advanced parameters available but I bet almost no one uses them.

My secret formula:
Character Frequency: 3000 - 5000 Hz, adjust to taste
Character: -0.5 to -1.0, adjust to taste

Well if this is something Cliff is saying would improve overall sound tone and quality or rather character. I would think it’s a serious thing to look into, I surely will and will take his word for it. Let’s consider for a moment he is the creator of a world wide guitar product we all love, why would you not take his word on that lol.

Just checked this tip and it really can turn a mud sound to a open/bright one!
(I used a Brit Brown amp with a TS808) Loving it!

Just checked this tip and it really can turn a mud sound to a open/bright one!
(I used a Brit Brown amp with a TS808) Loving it!

Is there anything that sums up the secret formula? Or is there something I need to read? I am somewhat new here guys sorry I may be a little behind, but I just got the AX8 and someone told me to go to the forum page a read My Secret Formula? Can anyone direct me to the right piece of reading? Thanks so much

Is there anything that sums up the secret formula? Or is there something I need to read? I am somewhat new here guys sorry I may be a little behind, but I just got the AX8 and someone told me to go to the forum page a read My Secret Formula? Can anyone direct me to the right piece of reading? Thanks so much

I played with this last night and recorded several variations to compare to my original tone on the default character settings. Last night I was trying to think of a way to describe the change. For me... I found it tightens up the gain. I notice it more playing rythems. I landed on a setting of 2000K and -0.5. Im using the BritLead amp (or Marshall SuperLead)

I have tried it, and it certainly can make some significant changes at gig volumes - so try it out. Needed? That's up to you.

A while back I started tweaking this in all my amp blocks, Character Freq 3000 / Q 0.150 / Amount 0.0 and Preamp CF Hardness at 7.50. I never reset any amp blocks after firmware updates because I had everything pretty close to what I wanted. I would adjust the amount up from Q 0.150 to remove brightness in the mix and fine tune Amount generally above 0.0 to add a bit of sizzle. Found these setting to be among my go to adjustments in the Dynamics area. What would be the recommended adjustments in the new Ares amp block? In the III when I hand match my amp block to the II XL+ it sounds killer as is. It would be nice if we had an amp block comparison from Quantum to Ares to highlight the difference between them. The one block everyone uses for every preset/song.

Last edited:
A while back I started tweaking this in all my amp blocks, Character Freq 3000 / Q 0.150 / Amount 0.0 and Preamp CF Hardness at 7.50...What would be the recommended adjustments in the new Ares amp block?
With Character Amount set to zero, no adjustments are needed to duplicate that on the Axe III. Setting Character Amount to zero effectively disables the Character feature.

Back
Top Bottom