AxeFX III and « profiler » block....?

Guitarboy

Please don’t swat me if the question has already been solved but now that AxeFX has a new line and much more horsepower, is that impossible to thinks about a block that could be a kind of K****R profiler?
I mean Cliff is the kind of guy who could easily code some smart algos to make enven better job... no?

All these ways to approach Amp sim aren’t incompatibles and having both choices « component modeling » and « profiling » could be great.

Cliff didn’t invent amp modeling but managed to be the best for coding nice algos... so why not doing the same for profiling approache (not just amp matching, IR or EQ tricks...)

Cliff's modeling is already better than profiling...

boom-problem-solved.jpg

oh please yes modeling is great but it’s not as good for « tone matching » and having another technique to get the sound would be nice. For some guys who just don’t want to refine their patches to match their beloved amp and like the idea to « save » a particular sound chain it would be great to see what could be Cliff’s answer. Sure we could be impressed.

And it would be completely deal breaker for Kemper users.

In fact you see a lot of axefx in live situation for effects and a lot of kemper for Amp sims in famous guitarist live set up. Typically Townsen rig...

So.....

I think a profiling block (while not necessary because of tone matching and great built in amps) would really benefit the Axe.
However, that would totally put Kemper out of business. Well, if not the far lower price point...

Please don’t swat me if the question has already been solved but now that AxeFX has a new line and much more horsepower, is that impossible to thinks about a block that could be a kind of K****R profiler?
I mean Cliff is the kind of guy who could easily code some smart algos to make enven better job... no?

All these ways to approach Amp sim aren’t incompatibles and having both choices « component modeling » and « profiling » could be great.

Cliff didn’t invent amp modeling but managed to be the best for coding nice algos... so why not doing the same for profiling approache (not just amp matching, IR or EQ tricks...)

IMHO there is no need for profiling an amp. Even in the AXE - and also in the upcoming III - i only use a handful of amps. Marshalls , AC30 and Twin. That is all i need. And as long as you are familiar with the originals,
it is easy to dial in any sound you need. Profiling only delivers a surrogate.

We would surely be sued for infringement.

Why?

Sure, if you were to model the intellectual property that Kemper specifically has created that would be a problem, but I would presume Kemper don't own the rights to any kind of profiling whatsoever?

I presume it is legally sound for anyone to create a profiling product, so long as they build it themselves without replicating someone else's technology specifically?

Why?

Sure, if you were to model the intellectual property that Kemper specifically has created that would be a problem, but I would presume Kemper don't own the rights to any kind of profiling whatsoever?

I presume it is legally sound for anyone to create a profiling product, so long as they build it themselves without replicating someone else's technology specifically?
1) Depends on how the patent is worded.

2) You can be sued for anything.

Why?

As someone who's dealt with that. You don't actually have to infringe to be sued for infringement. There just have to be concerns that you MIGHT have infringed. They don't actually have to prove their case until you're already standing behind the defendants table.

Just my 2 cents...

I've been following the idea of offering profiling like capabilities to the axe fx. There have been multiple wish list requests, and I know I have started at least one of the threads. From what I gather, FAS has the knowledge and know how to implement such a feature, they just choose not to. If they felt like profiling was a step forward, I'm sure they would have found a way around the patent, and we would have this feature today.

I've come to accept what I believe is good news: FAS is choosing not to work around the patent which means to their ears, the Axe Fx outperforms the green toaster.
Thankfully we have amp match, which I use to take my amp collection on the road. I'm eager to see what the newly rewritten tone match block will sound like with ultra res!

Again, just my two cents, not sure if this is accurate at all... If FAS decided to add profiling capabilities, I would use the feature! I think there are Axe FX "profiling" tricks beyond the basic white noise / sine sweep amp match trick, but I have not found a definitive solution to this.

Last edited:
As someone who's dealt with that. You don't actually have to infringe to be sued for infringement. There just have to be concerns that you MIGHT have infringed. They don't actually have to prove their case until you're already standing behind the defendants table.

I agree, you can be sued for pretty much anything. My point here is more whether there would actually be a sufficient legal defense to suggest that *any kind of profiling* is infringing on someone else's IP.

Given that you can be sued for almost anything, this then becomes about weighing up the risk. Arguably, replicating other people's tones from other equipment (such as the amps modelled in the Axe FX) could be seen as a potential legal issue, but I presume FAS have assessed that the risk is fairly low, particularly when it is not stated anywhere which amps they may be modelled on (and trademarks used).

Then again, I am neither (a) a lawyer, nor (b) a member of the FAS team, so I wouldn't read too much into my opinions. :)

I prefer the modeling approach in absolute because of the 100% tweeking possibilities.
But I think that if somebody could be sued it’s people who sell profiles...

Fractal uses IR and modeling without trials issues, and suing is not very common on these small markets. We are not in Apple VS Samsung cases ;)

BTW if Fractal keep on provinding such good Amp models, profiling is not something we need to see, I agree.
But... is there any possible trial issues when modeling famous amps more than profiling them?

Back
Top Bottom