Throwing a HB in my strat ( orientation ?)

If the magnetic polarity of 2 coils is opposite and they have the same winding direction, they will be out of phase.

One can exploit this to have hum cancelling in position 2 and 4 on a strat. The same applies if we are using a (splitted) bridge humbucker plus the middle pickup.

The only way you're going to run into polarity issues with humbuckers is if you install different brands thinking the wire colors are the same on each pickup relating to the part of the winding. If you use the correct wire from each pickup, there should be no polarity issues.

Here's a table with most pickup manufacturers color codes:
NOTE: With the exception of the PRS Bridge pickup, the screw lug pole is the South winding, even if they are shown on top in the diagram

https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wiring-resources/humbucker-wire-color-codes/

If the magnetic polarity of 2 coils is opposite and they have the same winding direction, they will be out of phase.

One can exploit this to have hum cancelling in position 2 and 4 on a strat. The same applies if we are using a (splitted) bridge humbucker plus the middle pickup.

If the only change was the magnetic polarity then yes, phase would be reversed. This would also make a humbucker pickup almost useless, because the coils would nearly cancel each other out and you'd have almost no guitar signal. Humbucker pickups work by having the guitar signal IN phase and the hum interference OUT of phase.

There are 3 things that affect the phase of guitar signal: coil wind direction, magnetic polarity and the connection (swapping the active and ground connections). If you swap any 2 of these, then the signal is back in phase again.

A humbucker pickup has reversed magnetic polarity in one coil, and either reversed coil wind direction or reversed connection. Interference is not affected by magnetic polarity, so this sees only one change: the reversed connection or reversed coil wind direction, which cancels hum.

You can read a bit more about humbucker pickups here:
https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/how-hum-cancelling-works-part-1

There are other differences between each coil of a bridge humbucker. The coil closest to the bridge has a brighter and thinner tone. This difference is really only noticeable with a humbucker close to the bridge.

I agree that when using only one of the humbucker coils, if it is RWRP to the other single coil pickups, you will benefit from some hum cancellation when using them together.

Last edited:
Which is exactly what we are discussing in this thread: adding an HB to a Fender guitar.
If you're going to quote someone, use the whole quote, not just the part that works for your reply.

Last edited:
If you're going to quote someone, use the whole quote, not just the part that works for your reply.
I quoted just a line to be more clean, but my bad. I didn't want to be rude. I probably didn't fully catch the point of your post :)
Now I do.

Great info gentlemen.

In case anyone read my former post , I got my new CC in time. I knew a guy , who had the phone number of a guy , who drives for UPS , who knew the phone number of a girl who drives for UPS , that delivers to my area , who met me at the loading center , on my way to the airport. ( Get all that ? )

And , the strat humbucker pickguard I ordered from Amazon ( last minute ) showed up mishaped , with the holes not lined up , soooo I'm using single coils still.

....well , it happened again. Forcing myself to use my strat for a few days ( with the AX8 ) has made me really enjoy it A LOT. I've been a LP player mainly for years. Low output humbucker user. My LP can sound very "single coil-ish" with the volume knob turned down.

Anyways , I took my favorite Marshall preset and replaced it with a recto 2 vintage orange , and the a ts808 in front , for a little extra when needed with gain set almost off. Wow. It sounds heavenly.
There's a thread in the AX8 section with someone who can't get a good sound. :eek::confused:o_O

Back
Top Bottom