Which exact Keystone DSP in the Axe-Fx III?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is the chip. One System-on-Chip ($500 or so) contains all 4 processors. I can't see it having 4 of those soc's (4X$500). Amazing technology from TI.

Price from Mouser Electronics (near Dallas, Texas)

$500 was the low end. $582 $605 $695 $791

They have various "flavors" I guess.

Last edited:
It also matters to me as I worked in the past (20 years ago!) with TMS320C50 and TMS320C54. I always liked Texas Instruments over Analog Devices (just on DSP stuff).

It’s really important as those high end processors are not always produced for very long period of time. Curious about the point that made axe3 an obligatory update

It’s really important as those high end processors are not always produced for very long period of time. Curious about the point that made axe3 an obligatory update
i remember something from a couple years ago about Cliff buying up some huge quantity of Tigersharks. I assume a. they’re running out and b. This is the best way he can ensure he’ll have enough DSPs of the same architecture to last as long as he keeps wanting to make IIIs

What price are you looking for ? What a single unit cost the end consumer, or do you want Fractal to share their specific cost of goods ?

I personally don't think Cliff is going to share company financials with the forum....

i remember something from a couple years ago about Cliff buying up some huge quantity of Tigersharks. I assume a. they’re running out and b. This is the best way he can ensure he’ll have enough DSPs of the same architecture to last as long as he keeps wanting to make IIIs
The III doesn't use the TigerSharc CPU... The whole point of this thread is among about the NEW chip being used, which is an Intel Keystone.

The TigerSharc is discontinued, thus why Fractal bought a stockpile - for the Axe Fx II.

I personally don't think Cliff is going to share company financials with the forum....

The price of TigerSharcs was well known, and it gave zero information about company financials. As soon as the IIIs get into people’s hands, they will be disassembled, and once they are, it’s easy to see the chip models and prices. So not revealing this info doesn’t protect anything.

That being said, revealing this info doesn’t serve any useful purpose either. I guess people at FAS have more important stuff to do than to list component specs here. :)

The price of TigerSharcs was well known, and it gave zero information about company financials. As soon as the IIIs get into people’s hands, they will be disassembled, and once they are, it’s easy to see the chip models and prices. So not revealing this info doesn’t protect anything.

That being said, revealing this info doesn’t serve any useful purpose either. I guess people at FAS have more important stuff to do than to list component specs here. :)

The price for the processor is going to be the same if one buys one unit or 10,000 units though ?

As you said though, it seems rather pointless because Fractal sets the price they wanted to set, so if Cliff gets the DSP for $1, or $100, I can't see how that info is meaningful to the end user. If we learn the DSP costs say $5, are we going to refuse to buy the III for $2499 because we feel the markup is too high in relation to cost of goods ?

What price are you looking for ? What a single unit cost the end consumer, or do you want Fractal to share their specific cost of goods ?

He occasionally does, for instance when discussing his rationale for choice of op-amps based on quality and the cost hit based on that choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom