Is it me or is the Axe fx 3 aesthetically unpleasing?

Not sure how this relates to aesthetics, but I love the way that the controls at the bottom of the screen function as bass, middle, treble and presence so that you can tweak the controls by hand just like the real thing. Love this feature!

I'm okay with how it looks. Kinda like it.

But FWIW, I do think it'd be totally over-the-top (in a good way) for the Axe-FX III to give us:

(a.) An optional "screensaver" for the full-color screen; and,
(b.) The logo being able to change colors, even fade gradually from one color to another.

The default "screensaver" would be, I expect, a set of softly glowing tubes. Perhaps with psychedelic-looking waves and sparkles of energy periodically pulsing off them in response to the sound detected by the RTA, the pitch detector, or whatever.

And the logo could start off blue when you're playing clean, but then fade to green or yellow as you get semi-gritty and push the amp harder, and finally to orange and red as you go into some saturated lead. And when it detects peak levels of notes-per-minute, it slowly pulses white (as in "white-hot") into the color.

Wildly, hilariously unnecessary? Of course.

Cliff has given us ostentatious levels of processing.

What the heck, why not be ostentatious in the look-n-feel? ;)

If the Axe-Fx 2 is like a 1990s rack multifx unit, the Axe-Fx 3 looks like an old ADAT box.

I don't mind the 3U size at all, I'm sure it's justified with all the I/O but the front panel gets no design awards. Logos take absolutely massive amounts of space, there is room for the screen to be about 1/3rd bigger with one extra knob underneath it didn't have that strange inset area. The nav section is exactly the same as on the Axe-Fx 2, aka awkward. Then you have the whole left side of the unit where you basically just have a few lights and the output knobs. At least it could have two instrument inputs on the front to use some of that empty space.

I'm sure everyone will grow used to it like we have to the 2 but still, for a device released in 2018 it leaves a lot of low hanging fruit in the tree.

she-may-not-look-like-much-but-shes-got-it-where-it-counts-kid.jpg

(a.) An optional "screensaver" for the full-color screen; and,
(b.) The logo being able to change colors, even fade gradually from one color to another.

The default "screensaver" would be, I expect, a set of softly glowing tubes. Perhaps with psychedelic-looking waves and sparkles of energy periodically pulsing off them in response to the sound detected by the RTA, the pitch detector, or whatever.

And the logo could start off blue when you're playing clean, but then fade to green or yellow as you get semi-gritty and push the amp harder, and finally to orange and red as you go into some saturated lead. And when it detects peak levels of notes-per-minute, it slowly pulses white (as in "white-hot") into the color.
And while he’s at it, maybe Cliff could give it a leisure suit and gold-plated costume jewelry, and have cheesy pick-up lines that scroll across the screen. :)

I am so glad that my Axe-Fx III doesn’t look like Christmas at Walmart.

People, we're on a forum entirely dedicated to Fractal Products. We talk about every little aspect so I'm not surprised if, among others, it comes a thread about aesthetic. But whether people praise or complain about the look of the AxeFx III doesn't mean aesthetic is the only thing they care..it's just critical judgment..we see a thing, we like how it appears or not. And we write about it eventually. If I don't like how the AxeFx III looks, I can write it, with respect. And saying that, I say that, without implying any other thing.

I do not like how the AxeFx III looks actually, I already said why too, and I don't intend to buy it, but obviously not in regards of the aesthetic. And if I'll change my mind/needs in the future, aesthetic will not be an argument. But I have eyes, a brain, my tastes and yes, I don't like it very much aesthetically speaking.

And when you play Metallica it will fade to black.

THAT was fantastic. You win.

As for those who don't like the color-changing logo idea:

(a.) Obviously it needs to be turn-offable. Even if not, I expect most folks would set it to their favorite color and leave it there.
(b.) I'm going to buy the Axe-FX III, even if the final production run of the logo glows baby-puke yellow-green.

But I was just getting into the spirit of the discussion.

After all, we're all sitting around alternately fantasizing, kvetching, or harrumphing about the visual aesthetics of an audio processor.

Which is pretty silly, honestly.

But hey, silly can be fun.

So what the frell? Now, in addition to my earlier ideas, I also want it to detect disco music and automatically change the screen-saver to a glittering disco ball. And periodically, Cliff would dance across the screen in a white leisure suit, doing that Travolta pointing thing.

:D

Anyone else feel that the new version is aesthetically unpleasing? Maybe I shouldn’t judge a book by its cover ... I really preferred the 2U style ! Now I have to get a new rack system built in my studio to cater for a 3U... #FirstWorldProblems

edit: changed title to be politer... Also i'm starting to understand and like the look of it more and more. it's growing on me! :)
No, it is awesome. ;-)

As far as the screen saver concept is concerned the obvious choice would be a constantly evolving fractal...some plasma fractal would be killer.

I love the new look and beefier size. I'm also partial to blue. The beefier height and shorter length make it look like it sits better on top of a cab which is how i'll use it. Granted I don't gig so I can see why people would want a smaller footprint.

Back
Top Bottom