HELP Triggering Looper via Ableton Live

Mark Cesario

I have been able to use the midi out via Ableton to trigger changes for both the Scenes and Presets however I am struggling to make it work with Looper.

I can get it trigger the record function however not when intended during the song. The record just stay on when I set the value of the midi track to 127.

You have to automate start/stop recording and also start/stop playback. It's a paint in the ass....

Value 127 = on
Value 0 = off

Record cc#28
Play cc#29

I recently started using the looper(s) built inside Abelton, they are waaaaay easier to control/automate and u can have as many loopers as you want....great for multiple parts. Lmk if you are interested in that and I can tell you how to do it bc there are some very specific settings in order for it to work.

Thanks for the response AJ!

I may just have to resort to using the native Ableton looper if I can't get this to work.

So, when I set the value to 127 on CC28 the looper "record" will turn on but just stay on. I cant get it to trigger at the point of the song I need it to. I am wondering why it works for Scenes/Presets but not the looper.

So, when I set the value to 127 on CC28 the looper "record" will turn on but just stay on. I cant get it to trigger at the point of the song I need it to. I am wondering why it works for Scenes/Presets but not the looper.

Works for me.

You start at 0, then set it to 127 at the point where you need to start recording, and back to 0 where you need to stop.

Screenshot (14).png

I recently started using the looper(s) built inside Abelton, they are waaaaay easier to control/automate and u can have as many loopers as you want..

Sort of, but routing gets difficult, unless you're just doing it for bedroom playing, IMO.

Last edited:
Ahhh I got it to work...I was just creating separate midi clips for each instance rather than a clip for the entire length of the song.
Thanks for the help Vangrieg!

Ahhh I got it to work...I was just creating separate midi clips for each instance rather than a clip for the entire length of the song.
Thanks for the help Vangrieg!

Separate clips should work , too, but the problem sometimes is that there are multiple events sent at the beginning, and Axe isn’t really all that robust, it seems to stutter and miss them somehow.

Another problem may be that you have to be careful while drawing automation in Ableton - sometimes a line may seem horizontal but it is really slanted, so it keeps sending a value all the time, which overflows Axe’s MIDI input.

Back
Top Bottom