Axe-Fx III Dimensions and Weight

If a 3U case werent adequate, Cliff would have chosen a different size.
i think the question was about what kind of rack case to buy, if 3u would be enough clearance for airflow etc.

generally speaking, if you use a 3u case for 3u gear, it is fine. the manufacturer would probably specifically state to use something with more room.

How much heat does all this processing power put out? Is a 3U case adequate? Would 4U with a space above a better choice?

I do mean rack case for toting about. Sorry I didn't make that clear. For example: The 1U Apollo 8 gets warm enough I include an empty space above and below. Many studios have a space between rack mounted units as a matter of course, even when not strictly necessary. But if the Axe FX III goes solo on a hot date: I want to make sure it has adequate protection.

Less than an Axe-Fx II.

Sweet! Good to know.

How much heat does all this processing power put out? Is a 3U case adequate? Would 4U with a space above a better choice?
Merry
That's silly. I still think that the idea that red isn't peaking yet, is a weird idea, and I remember I got a lot of flack for expressing that in the past... I was peaking at one point on the inputs without even knowing it, because the axe reds don't tell me that...

Anyway, while the Axe is getting bigger and bulkier, Bias is releasing this:

Total win.

my iPhone has Amplitude which is even smaller...sounds like shite but so portable you can stick them almost anywhere...

Any info on the foot controller dimensions? Hopefully the larger one will still fit inside a rack case/drawer.

So will Edge finally consolidate to just one Axe III and get rid of everything else, or will he buy 10 Axe IIIs? ;-)

Al least 2 (plus 2 for backup, so total 4) minimum! And for axe fx2 as backups of the ax3 backups :D

well, the lid gives you around 4-5cm more as far as I know. so as long as the unit doesn't stick out from the rack I guess you can still leave the plugs connected.

well, the lid gives you around 4-5cm more as far as I know. so as long as the unit doesn't stick out from the rack I guess you can still leave the plugs connected.
That's cutting it pretty close. The Axe III is about 25.5 cm from the back of the rack ear to the read input jack. A standard TS plug is about 4.3 cm (Neutriks are significantly longer). That's 29.8 cm total. On the link you posted, you have 31.2 ch from the front rail to the back lid. That leaves 1.4 cm for your cable to be bent 90° by the back lid, and that's risking failure of your cable. That much stress on the cable would also risk damage to the plug and jack. You face a similar issue with the power plug and MIDI cables.

It might work if you cut off your cables. :) Or 90° plugs might work.

ah well yeah, I had to mention using 90° plugs from Neutrik or getting some SIS from Evidence Audio.
thanks for clarifying the exact measurements. 25.5cm is pretty good.

Building a similar setup with the 4RU SKB shallow. Using all right angle connections with a patch bay on the side. The patch bay is 2xXLR's, 1 Faslink, 1xTRS input (To mix with IEMs), USB, power. I'll always leave the rear panel attached unless something breaks.

My magic 8-ball says it's all going to fit. :)

Building a similar setup with the 4RU SKB shallow. Using all right angle connections with a patch bay on the side. The patch bay is 2xXLR's, 1 Faslink, 1xTRS input (To mix with IEMs), USB, power. I'll always leave the rear panel attached unless something breaks.

My magic 8-ball says it's all going to fit. :)

That's nice! Did you drill a hole for each plug?

Back
Top Bottom