XL+ and DI box Question

Chris S.

Im wanting to recording both wet and dry tracks so I can reamp later if I need to. I just picked up a Countryman Type 85, assuming that I could split the signal from my guitar and record both tracks this way.. but I don’t think I did my homework, and I need help.

My signal chain, without the DI box is as follows: Guitar > Axe FX > Scarlett 2i4 USB interface > PC > Studio Monitors.

I don’t want to fry my Axe or anything by connecting this the wrong way. I should’ve done my research first. How should I connect everything to record both wet and dry tracks? Do I even need the DI box?

Please help.

this DI box has a feature where you can plug in the speaker output of a real guitar amplifier and change that to an XLR output. you aren't using a real amp, so you don't need this feature.

you could also send your guitar to the di box, then the XLR signal to your interface, and the Amp return (1/4" output) to your Axe. this won't blow anything up.

but you can also do this without the DI:

turn on Output 2 Echo to "Input 1" - it's in the I/O Audio menu. this will send a dry copy of your guitar to Output 2 of the Axe.

or you can use the USB interface of the Axe itself and record USB channel 1&2 with all the effects, and USB channel 3 will be the dry input. you'll set these inputs up in your DAW.

Last edited:
this DI box has a feature where you can plug in the speaker output of a real guitar amplifier and change that to an XLR output. you aren't using a real amp, so you don't need this feature.

you could also send your guitar to the di box, then the XLR signal to your interface, and the Amp return (1/4" output) to your Axe. this won't blow anything up.

but you can also do this without the DI:

turn on Output 2 Echo to "Input 1" - it's in the I/O Audio menu. this will send a dry copy of your guitar to Output 2 of the Axe.

or you can use the USB interface of the Axe itself and record USB channel 1&2 with all the effects, and USB channel 3 will be the dry input. you'll set these inputs up in your DAW.

Thanks a ton, I wish i had thought of this before I bought the countryman. The Axe is more capable than what I thought.

Another quick question, would using an XLR output from the Axe FX into my interface change the sound at all? I usually only use a single 1/4” but wondering if so can make this sound a little more dynamic and natural

Back
Top Bottom