So What's New on the III? ...(Axe-Fx II vs III)

Another big + for me is that basically anything can be modifier controlled. I've wanted things like Fat and Cut in the amp block for a long time. And if we can control those along with B/M/T, wow that really opens up what we can do with the amps!

Can't wait for the demos. My main interest is in model improvements and how much they affect the tone, so it will be interesting to actually hear the difference in modelling II to III using identical direct guitar track, by some lucky Fractal-ite. I often hear little to no difference on a FW updates, unless I A/B with two different models and then splice/comp them together so they switch every 3 seconds or so, and even then, sometimes I can't tell the difference. This A/B technique also removes bias because you don't know which is which if you start in a random spot of the playback.
So far I don't think there has been any mention of different amp modeling. I guess that the (amp) tones should be exactly the same.

So far I don't think there has been any mention of different amp modeling. I guess that the (amp) tones should be exactly the same.

As per Cliff they are already better due to increased oversampling and use of greater available CPU vs the II. They will only continue to improve from here.

yes there was, Cliff mentioned it, plus the write up on the Axe III page states that the modeling picks up where quantum left off.

I was referring to rhytmic effects, where you tap the right tempo, but the start of the pattern does not match with the music you play along to.
For example sequencer, tremolo and other rhythmic stuff. Other brands like Strymon has rhythmic effects synced to tap tempo and they always match the beat when you tap the tempo.
doesn't the Tremolo block already do this in the II and AX8? i thought it did.

Any improvements to the controllers themselves? For example can you use input from 2 different sources (say pitch and envelope) and logic them together (sum, and, or, etc)? It's crazy, almost everyone of my wish list items over the years are addressed with the 3.

I am hoping it’s easier to do editing from the front panel. I assume the larger screen and some of the added processing makes that possible.

Will there be some kind of way to run optimized signals to both FOH and a real cab at the same time?

Thinking about speaker comp and speaker drive which required compromise on the II, since those parameters where located in the amp block instead of the cab block.

Will the latency relative to the XL II be shorter when used as a soundcard?
This would be nice, but I wouldn't expect it. Apparently, drivers are key and most company's don't write their own; they use drivers supplied by the USB controller manufacturer. At least, that's what I have read. Companies like RME write their own, and you pay for it big time. If the Axe III can run with a 32 sample buffer, I'll be even more bummed about not buying one.

Back
Top Bottom