Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.04 Firmware Release

I'm a passive pickup user that does lots of heavy palm muting. I just got a guitar with EMG's and when I palm mute it sounds konky like I'm palm muting a harmonic. Could this be a firmware issue or an active pickup issue? I've never got on with active but thought I'd give it a try.
You might want to look at the Global Amp Gain control... If you want to use the same presets with hotter pickups, that can be a simpler option.

I'm a passive pickup user that does lots of heavy palm muting. I just got a guitar with EMG's and when I palm mute it sounds konky like I'm palm muting a harmonic. Could this be a firmware issue or an active pickup issue? I've never got on with active but thought I'd give it a try.

Hah hah, I'm the opposite. I have played EMG pickups ever since I put them in my second guitar back in 1991. I have tried to use passives over the years but found that they have this metallic 'clanky' sound to them when palm-muting that I just can't get used to, almost like the sound keeps going instead of stopping with the mute like it should. With EMG's (81 and 57), I get a smooth sounding palm mute that is tight and percussive.

Thanks for the update, FAS' dedication to quality is much appreciated. Also the pointers regarding settings and what to listen for when adjusting them is invaluable! :)

Only got to play for 30 min or so, but definitely noticed the low end "thunk" sounded much more realistic on the Recto and 5150 style amps for chunky high gain. That missing "depth punch" is one thing I have missed on the Axe-FX, and glad to hear that it is improving. :)

Only got to play for 30 min or so, but definitely noticed the low end "thunk" sounded much more realistic on the Recto and 5150 style amps for chunky high gain. That missing "depth punch" is one thing I have missed on the Axe-FX, and glad to hear that it is improving. :)

Oh yea, definitely...that low end, tight, clear, punch/thunk is 'native' in v9.04 whereas I had to go thru some contortions to try and get the AMP block to punch with the clarity that is does now right out of the gate, and I didn't get as good results. I'm really excited at the clarity and tightness in 9.04. Amps are much more dynamic now, and breath a little more....less restrained/compressed. I like the 'speed' of 9.04.

I've noticed that when firmware release notes/forum comments say things like 'less compressed' and 'more open' that always seems work for me; they feel more and more like a tube amp. Makes the amps get a bit livelier, more raw and rude...they just play, feel, and sound better to me. Interesting options like Speaker Comp, CF Comp, etc. can round off/squish the open tones 'just right'. I seriously love 9.04....it nails something that's been somewhat elusive for me to get right.

Last edited:
I'm really liking what I'm hearing with this one! Low and mids are so good now they aren't interfering with the highs anymore.

Really sitting in the mix better than ever. I get to try it tomorrow night at volume.

Can't wait!

Liking 9.04 a lot. I find I am using less speaker compression to get a similar effect on overall compression, but things sound much less congested than they did before. I’m fighting with EQ a lot less. Feels more dynamic and punchy once I get the speaker compression into the sweet spot.

Don’t use any amp blocks that use a cathode follower, so can’t comment there, but I really appreciate what I hear!

been with the axe since fw8, first time I rolled back to previous firmware.
all my presets sound terrible.
will try to download/install again, otherwise I am probably just going to leave it at q9.03 until the final fw.

EDIT/ just reinstalled the firmware and is sounding fine now, must have been bad install or download.

Last edited:
will try to download/install again, otherwise I am probably just going to leave it at q9.03 until the final fw.
Been on my Fractal for a week or so and this update sounds great to me with all my patches.What happened to your presets?What did the update do to them?

EDIT/ just reinstalled the firmware and is sounding fine now, must have been bad install or download.
cool . i was about to spout off about how it is impossible not to like this FW update

This happens to me fairly frequently. Nearly every time I install a FW update (and I typically download and install each new one... the only ones I've skipped are beta releases), it sounds awful. Then I re-install the same firmware and it sounds great again.

No idea why. I hope its not a sign of a deeper problem. But I've just taken to updating twice in a row at this point.

9.04 sounds great by the way. As always.

What does the AXE FX ll v 9.04 have that v8.02 does not have?
Use your ears, reset and make a preset from the scratch.......I think, sounds with 9.04 are more "into the face" and cut better in bandsound.

I´ve reworked all the amps in my presets and looking forward to the first gig tonight with them (what we call "Fasching" here in Germany/Bavaria).

You can also use FracTool to adjust it to 7.5 for all patches. I did that after cliff's recommendation thread. Sounds great.
I did this, per your recommendation… piece of pie.

There are times when you wonder if you’re experiencing a placebo effect, or confirmation bias; this is not one of those times.

I wish my playing ability continued to develop at the rate the wonderful sounds coming out of this box continue to evolve. I just love this thing, and Cliff’s ongoing work; thanks again.

I changed speaker comp and CF hardness before 9.04. Didn't touch a thing on my 9.04 "redial" and yet tone and feel were better AGAIN at last night's gig.

It's weird -- it's like my presets are so good now, there isn't a parameter I can touch that makes them better. I don't have have to anymore. Cliff's behind-the-parameter improvements take care of it for me. Amazing.

Back
Top Bottom