Axe-Fx USB MIDI Thru problem

bondsong

Experienced
I'm having a problem with the AXE FX's midi through via USB. I've been through this already with Matt on a support ticket but he was unable to reproduce the problem on his system. Maybe someone here can help.

I have an MFC 101 ver3 hooked up via FAS Link to the AXE FX II XL+. I have the Axe FX hooked up via USB to my 2015 MacBook Pro. Latest drivers for everything.

I'm trying to send CC messages via the USB ports Midi thru to MIDI Guitar on the Mac. I have the expression pedal I'm using in the MFC set to channel 2. The controller # is set to 18. When I send data (move the pedal) all I get is CC#0 and a value of 0. I've tried this into Cubase as well and I get the same thing. I've tried different MIDI channels and get the same result.

I tried using a Roland USB midi interface from the AXE and it worked perfectly. But through the AXE FX's USB Midi interface I get the CC 0 data 0 result.

From what I can see this is not a problem with the MFC or Axe settings as it works exactly as I would expect with the Roland interface.

Any help is appreciated.

The reason I want to use the AxeFX USB midi interface is so I can play synth sounds with MIDI Guitar and control it from the MFC while feeding the signal from the guitar to it. It's potentially a very clean and simple solution if only the USB MIDI worked on my system. I also have the RAC12 hooked up so using the USB into the Mac means I don't have to unhook the RAC12 when I'm using synth sounds.

If anyone else, besides Matt, is doing this on a Mac I'd love to hear from you.

Do you have USB adapter mode turned on in the I/O menu?

Yes and there is midi data going through USB. It just doesn't make sense. It's on the correct midi channel ( in this case I'm using channel 2) but CC'c all show up as "0" with a value of "0" as well.

Matt from support says it works for him. I haven't heard from anyone else who says it does or doesn't work. I agree it's bloody frustrating.

Last edited:
I tried blasting all MIDI drivers and reinstalling Axe-Fx drivers to no effect. I'm getting seemingly random MIDI events at the computer when I monitor the Axe's MIDI output. Ableton Live 9 isn't showing any signs of MIDI getting in (though it can see the Axe-Fx as a device). Live 10 however does seem to know there's MIDI coming in if I set the 'SYNC' item in MIDI devices but only for Program Change data. The data is unassignable anyway. Have you had any progress, Bondsong?

I uninstalled the Axe USB driver and re-installed it. I had been through support lines with Matt trying to solve it. We never got to the cause. It definitely has to do with the AxeFX USB driver because I can get the MIDI Thru from the Axe FX to send what I want with a Roland USB MIDI interface. It works perfectly but when I use the AXE FX USB MIDI Thru it only sends CC 0 and a data value of 0.

I haven't been able to get it working yet. The last thing I heard from support is that he ( Matt) was going to keep trying. I'll give it another go tomorrow and see if I have any luck.

What is your setup exactly and what are you trying to do with it? Also can you tell me the exact midi messages that are coming through?

Last edited:
I've also been in communications with Matt at Fractal Support. Support can't really do much due to the nature of drivers being an Apple problem. I can't find a conflicting driver so I'm kinda done with it.

My problem is not exactly the same as yours but it was one of the few references to USB MIDI problems I could find in the forum. In my case the routing is very simple:

Guitar --> Axe-FX II XL+* [USB sends to/from MacBook Pro/DAW: Ableton Live 9] --> Monitor(s)

I have an LF+JR+ foot controller connected via 7-pin MIDI to the Axe (powered from the FASLINK jack via a modified cable). It works fine with the Axe-Fx. But I want to send MIDI through to Ableton to control things in there like the Looper, VSTs, and channel assignments. The power of having all those pages is completely ruined by this MIDI problem.

MIDI is arriving at the MacBook. It's just not what I'm sending from the Axe (or is it?). Weird crap comes up in MIDI monitoring software - random values.

I just want to get the MIDI into Ableton but it's not even getting that far!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I don't get how it's an Apple problem if the Roland USB MIDI interface works perfectly from the Axe FX. I'm not a computer programmer but it seems that the MIDI received at the Axe FX should be simply sent through to the computer via USB just like it is with my Roland USB interface. The fact that it changes the messages to something unusable is happening in the Axe FX driver not in the Mac. If it was the Mac then the Roland UM-One wouldn't work. I may be wrong but I don't see it to be perfectly honest.

Last edited:
I think you may well be right. Unfortunately, I'm no expert on drivers. I got the distinct impression (without reading the actual words) from FAS Support that this problem is not rectifiable.

I'm definitely get the idea that they don't know how to fix it. I was told by Matt that he would keep trying which gives me some hope but I'm not holding my breath. It's too bad because it opens the door to the Axe FX being a much more creative and useful tool.

True that. BTW, I just accidentally recreated your issue! CC# 0 displayed in Midi Guitar 2 when I tried to assign CC#16 to a MIX rotary knob...Fractal, if you're listening - one way or another, you really need to fix this!!!

I tried it again yesterday and got the same result. Also when you move the pedal you just get a value of O over and over. You can't see it in Midi Guitar 2 but you can in Cubase. Now that you've confirmed it I'm curious how Matt gets it to work.

You will notice that after you assign CC#0 that the knob goes to 0 and stays there. That’s because the Axe FX is only passing a value of 0 when your pedal moves.

I have 4 axfx 2plus
I’m using DP9
I couldn’t record patches or control information through the axfx usb
I had to use the midi out 5 pin din of the axfx to a Motu
Midi timepiece.
Into the daw
I’m now having trouble with DP 9
Playing back over usb . Only when syncing to show code. It gives me random patches! But Not all the time
What I will try tomorrow is since I have all the data recorded I will try DP9 to MOTU midi timepiece to midi 5 pin din in axfx
Hope this works.

@Sean O'Brien What is show code? I remember hearing that term but I don't recall what it is.

Never mind. I looked it up. I believe it's lighting CC messages etc.

Last edited:
Smpte that’s is distributed through out the production.
Yesterday I tested my system using a copy of the show smpte on a separate computer . However the session is a few days older than the actual show code.
So for this test I used the 5 pin din on the axfx
It works flawlessly.
During a run through with the actual show code I had the same problem as before.
So as for playing back via the usb midi
It’s probably fine .
As I said before the axfx 2xl+ Does not pass correct data from the MFC through the usb midi

Back
Top Bottom