YAMAHA DXR10

Thanks Johan. I guess the dxr-10 fan is as audible as my PC's fan, which I also don't hear when playing my guitar?
Good to know though, so it's certainly no surprise! (and an extra incentive to keep playing )

Yes, it would be comparable to a tower type PC fan, one that's on all the time. If you're used to it, it becomes white noise and it won't bother you, and I keep things very quiet (when I'm not playing :) ) and definitely noticed it.

It sounds quieter.

:p But really though, what kind of response are you looking for?

(eye roll...) I just want to know if this only sounds good loud, or can it still sound good at manageable levels at home while playing alone with backing tracks. Just answer the question, pal.

(eye roll...) I just want to know if this only sounds good loud, or can it still sound good at manageable levels at home while playing alone with backing tracks. Just answer the question, pal.

K pal. It sounds good at quiet levels if you think it sounds good at loud levels. Speaker response is linear over designed range of use, so it's not like the characteristics of the speaker changes, it really mostly just changes in sound level. Of course, remember the Fletcher-Munson curve as you use it at different volumes.

In my first hand experience, it performs well both quiet and loud. I like it.

My brother plays on an Ax8 through on of these and it sounds really great but it doesnt kick as hard as my EV ELX115. I was playing E drums through it and there was a very noticeable improvement in chest thump with the ELX115s vs the DXR10 at the same perceived volume.
Not knocking the DXR10, it sounds really great and I think I am going to buy a pair for monitors but the EV ELX115 still had a better low end.

Has anyone tried the DBR10? It seems to get the same reviews as the DXR10 but is less watts? I need a small speaker to leave at our practice place and its about $200 cheaper.

My brother plays on an Ax8 through on of these and it sounds really great but it doesnt kick as hard as my EV ELX115. I was playing E drums through it and there was a very noticeable improvement in chest thump with the ELX115s vs the DXR10 at the same perceived volume.
Not knocking the DXR10, it sounds really great and I think I am going to buy a pair for monitors but the EV ELX115 still had a better low end.

The EV better kick harder. It's a 15" vs. 10". Bigger box, spec'd to put out lower freq.
Comparing these two is a bit of apples/oranges.

The EV better kick harder. It's a 15" vs. 10". Bigger box, spec'd to put out lower freq.
Comparing these two is a bit of apples/oranges.
Very true, I just didnt want people to get the idea that this speaker could replace larger rigs. From some of the reviews I had go the idea that this thing was able to replace much bigger PA systems.
Again not knocking the DXR10, my brother caries his entire guitar rig in his Mazda Miata and that is very cool. Just dont expect it to punch like a 15 inch speaker.

The Yamaha DSR speakers were designed in conjunction with the French geniuses at NEXO loudspeakers. They are very impressive speakers for the money.

Last edited:
You mean the DXR. The DBR and DSR don't have the Nexo relationship as far as I've read.

Here's a useful link comparing different Yamaha PA lines:
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/live_sound/speakers/active_speakers/dxr/10274/8361/

I'm not sure if the DSR series has Nexo design, but these boxes are some of the only (in the MI range) that use FIR filters (which whether they're designed by Nexo or not, are regarded as creating greater clearity in a 2 way box.

I have a set of the DSR 112's and they're excellent speakers.

I'm not sure if the DSR series has Nexo design, but these boxes are some of the only (in the MI range) that use FIR filters (which whether they're designed by Nexo or not, are regarded as creating greater clearity in a 2 way box.

I have a set of the DSR 112's and they're excellent speakers.

DBR, DXR, and DSR all use FIR filters. They all use DSP for crossover, freq & phase control, and limiting/protection.
Spec sheet for each all show "FIR-X tuning," and the block diagram shows that the DSP is used in the same way for each.

DBR, DXR, and DSR all use FIR filters. They all use DSP for crossover, freq & phase control, and limiting/protection.
Spec sheet for each all show "FIR-X tuning," and the block diagram shows that the DSP is used in the same way for each.
Got it. Any knowledge on if the FIR-X tuning comes from Nexo? Looked for some info, but didn't find anything. More just curious.

Got it. Any knowledge on if the FIR-X tuning comes from Nexo? Looked for some info, but didn't find anything. More just curious.

Go read their website! I ain't no google!

Turns out DBR, DXR, and DSR all have the Nexo relationship (@Kent you were right!):
"This passion for innovation served as the impetus for an intensive collaboration with loudspeaker giant NEXO, adding their insight and expertise as an industry leader in touring-grade sound reinforcement to the development of our DSR, DXR and DXS Series speakers. As a result of working closely with NEXO's engineers at their state-of-the-art facility, our team adopted a new approach to some crucial aspects of these speakers’ design."

Go read their website! I ain't no google!

Turns out DBR, DXR, and DSR all have the Nexo relationship (@Kent you were right!):
"This passion for innovation served as the impetus for an intensive collaboration with loudspeaker giant NEXO, adding their insight and expertise as an industry leader in touring-grade sound reinforcement to the development of our DSR, DXR and DXS Series speakers. As a result of working closely with NEXO's engineers at their state-of-the-art facility, our team adopted a new approach to some crucial aspects of these speakers’ design."

Well for not being google, you did a solid job.

I've just got a DXR10 because... of you and many others.

I was using a pair of JBL LSR305 at home.

I like both systems. The JBLs sound more HIFI (to me). The DXR, more like a real amp (to me).

I have to locate it correctly: I put it on the floor at about 50cm (19.5 inches) away from my feet and I hardly noticed the treble horn. I'll drive it more towards my head.

First impression is very positive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom