Bass Advice with AX8

d-flat

Bought the Helix LT about 30 days ago and the AX8 about 13 days ago. After trying out both, I returned the L6 yesterday and think I am going to keep the ax8. The main use case will be playing guitar, but I play bass too, so I am going to try my best to squeeze double duty from it.

Yesterday I started experimenting with using the ax8 to try and get a bass tone like in the song Forty Six & Two by Tool. I've read up a bit at TB and other interwebs about how this tone was achieved, and advice on how to get close to it. I know I am not going to nail it, but I want to get as close to the ballpark as I can. (I know a lot of people say "don't try to copy someone else, do your own thing", but I haven't really found yet what my own thing is, and am approaching this as a learning experiment, not to get into a tool cover band.)

That said, I'm looking for some advice if anyone may have any. I don't want to download a preset (I saw there is at least one, though for axefx), I want to work through it and understand what I am doing and why. I was surprised to learn (if this is correct) that the song was recorded with a stingray hh, which happens to be the bass I own. It's got a 9V powered active preamp, which leads me to my first question. I read that cranking all 4 knobs on the guitar is advised, but I am worried about clipping. With each of the tone knobs flat and the volume cranked, I found I needed to set the ax8 instrument pad to -12dB to keep it out of the red. Wondering if possibly that advice was only for going through analog equipment, and if I should keep the preamp neutral in order to stay at a lower input pad?

I was kicking around a preset to stab at this yesterday, and thought I might have come close a couple of times, but I was never really happy with it and am sure I will hate it when I get back to listen to it again tonight. I read that there are at least two, possibly three signals being combined to get this tone the way it is on the album recording -- one clean through amp A, another dirty through a 7 band geq-rat-amb B, both of which have different cabs (one a 4x12, the other an 8x10). The 3rd signal I think is just a DI from the bass, which if I am not mistaken could be modeled as all shunts to one of the 4 output mixer channels -- still not sure whether to have the DI path be pure instrument or bypass everything after compression?

Obviously there are ax8 limitations preventing the modeling of this signal chain, I can only work with one amp and one cab, the bass amps used are not modeled, etc etc... which is what led me here. I am hoping there are some tricks & workarounds for doing parallel signal paths with the ax8 in general, and any tips for bass specifically. For example I'm wondering if I could use a drive block instead of an amp for one of the signal paths (probably clean)? If so, should I combine the paths into the cab, or have only one of them go through the cab? When I merge signals from parallel paths into a block, are they mixed at 50/50? I remember the helix had a "merge block" that gave you more control over this, but can't seem to find it in ax8-edit (if it exists).

Any other tips or advice is welcome, thanks in advance.

That's correct about linking two parallel blocks. If you'd like to control the mix, attach a volume block to one of the parallel chains and use this to control the relative levels.

Is this what you're looking for?

If so, @SeeD has you covered. Flip through the scenes, and you'll find something to get you started.

You'll have to use @AlGrenadine 's FracTool to convert it to AX8, and you'll have to massage it to use only one Amp block, but the basics of the tone is there.

One and a half, haha. I usually run a sans amp into an ampeg svt pro 4.

I'm with you on that! Fractal should have a drive model of the SansAmp BDDI. Not sure if the new B7k was ported into the AX8, but if it has, then the B7k and SVBass model should set you up fine.

Back
Top Bottom