Delay feedback overload

Shunt

Still trying to replace my pedalboard with the AX8. I have one preset on my Boss DD-500 where I hit only one switch, play something and get that oscillating space echo sound until I hit the switch again and it stops without spillover.
So I made a delay block on the AX8 (stereo tape), set the bypass mode to "thru", cranked feedback and inscreased master feedback until I get that perpetual delay sound. But apparently the delay is not "turned off" when bypassed. So when I reenage the delay I already get drones without even hitting a note. How can I stop the delay from mutely droning on and on when bypassed?

That's strange cuz the thru bypass mode should stop any sound going into and out of the delay. Maybe a bug?
Anyway you can do the same by using a control switch assigned to input gain and feedback and leaving the delay block engaged.

Bypassing the block doesn't do anything special to clear the buffer or mute the feedback path. You'll probably want to set up a control switch as a feedback & bypass modifier source, setting feedback to 0 when the block is bypassed.

If a scene change is your method of engaging delay, you could also potentially have it (bypassed) in the other XY state with feedback at 0% in the non-delay scenes.

if feedback is set at 100%, then be careful what you set master feedback to. any values higher than 100% could cause runaway feedback leading to clipping and may even damage your speakers (and your ears)

What is your mix value? You could place the block in parallel to your main signal along with a volum block and mute both of them.

or place the block in parallel at 100% mix and tie an expression pedal to input gain and master feedback (scaled from 101% to 20%). pedal down, signal goes in to the delay and feeds back, when done rock the pedal back, delays go away and no signal enters the delay

or place the block in parallel at 100% mix and tie an expression pedal to input gain and master feedback (scaled from 101% to 20%). pedal down, signal goes in to the delay and feeds back, when done rock the pedal back, delays go away and no signal enters the delay

This also works with series routing and non-100% mix BTW.

yes, that's just how i habitually do this kind of thing. if you want it in series, that's fine - you're modulating input gain, rather than mix level, so your dry level won't change

I wanna use both XY states for different delay settings instead of muting. Only have one EXP pedal atm and I'm trying to keep my setup compact, but I'm interested in that solution. Where can I find that patch @chrisjnyc ?
For now I'll try the controller for feedback or the mute via volume. Thank you all for the tips!

The bypass mode set to through will leave the input of the dealy open... for input.

Using mute input or mute fx in (depending on your routing and mix needs) should take care of that.

@GiRa But "mute fx in"/"mute in" won't stop the feedback loop droning on in the delay. It also won't stop the droning from being heard.

@chrisjnyc Thank you for the link! Very interesting thread and blocks. I had problems triggering the envelope with my guitar (input pad is set to 0 db) and when tinkering with a preset using M@'s blocks my guitar just died on me T.T Brought it to the shop today.
Now I have a new AX8 at home, but no guitar. Noooooo!

@GiRa But "mute fx in"/"mute in" won't stop the feedback loop droning on in the delay. It also won't stop the droning from being heard.
IIRC there is a switch to empty the delay buffer, you have to trigger that when bypassing (eventually with a modifier).

The bypass mode set to through will leave the input of the dealy open... for input.

It shouldn't do that with recent firmware. This aspect of thru bypass mode was eliminated in 2016 Axe-FX/AX8 firmware releases.

IIRC there is a switch to empty the delay buffer, you have to trigger that when bypassing (eventually with a modifier).

There isn't a specific "empty buffer" switch, unless you're talking about changing presets with spillover on vs. off.

The only way to clear the buffer completely in one preset is to set feedback to 0 and wait for the current delay time.

Yes, it is a longtime wish of mine to have a ‘clear buffer’ parameter in the Delay and Reverb blocks, which is processed when recalling the preset.

yes, that's just how i habitually do this kind of thing. if you want it in series, that's fine - you're modulating input gain, rather than mix level, so your dry level won't change

Can you explain why you would choose parallel vs series? Does it fundamentally change the actual tone of the delay, or is it easy to control something a high feedback level when you switch the delay off? I do this all the time- use an exp pedal to increase feedback, let the delay keep going while I turn off the input to the delay, leaving some sort of a drone...but in series. I'd just like to know if I am missing anything by not running the delay in parallel.

Can you explain why you would choose parallel vs series? Does it fundamentally change the actual tone of the delay, or is it easy to control something a high feedback level when you switch the delay off? I do this all the time- use an exp pedal to increase feedback, let the delay keep going while I turn off the input to the delay, leaving some sort of a drone...but in series. I'd just like to know if I am missing anything by not running the delay in parallel.

Technically no difference as the blocks have a mix and a level dial. In series you keep the level constant and use the mix dial. In parallel you set the mix to 100% and use the level dial. I don't know why but I find it easier to dial in the right amount of delay having it in parallel to the dry signal.

if you're messing about with fx levels and turning stuff off and on etc etc, i just stick it in parallel, so i know the dry level will always remain constant, but there are ways to keep it constant when the block is in series, too. like i say, it's just habit and the way my brain works. there's no right or wrong way, as long as you get the results you want. in the digital domain it makes no difference to "tone".

Back
Top Bottom