Recommendation for a Pre-Amp to use to send to FX Return on my combo amp

Bman

Power User
Do any of you guys with experience in running the AX8 into a FX Return of their tube amp have a modeled amp recommendation? This would be an AX8 pre-amping a Marshal DSL40 with a Creamback. I will eventually try the 4CM method but I figure I need to find a pre-amp tone or two from the AX8.

I'm thinking that I should look for amps that are Pre-Amp distortion based amps, like a JCM800, Soldano, EVH, JVM,then turn the cab, pwr amp sim and sag off. Wouldn't the JMP-1 be ideal since that was a pre-amp unit? Is this the correct line of thinking?

Typically, running the AX8 into the effects return bypasses the preamp of your amplifier, and so it just goes to the gain stage. Check your amp specs to determine where the effects return hits. I go out 1 direct to FOH. I use a Line 6 Flextone II XL as a stage monitor. I have the amps and cabs on in the AX8. I use a TRS cable to take output 2 and plug the cable into the effects return. Generally, effects returns are stereo. Not really much stereo separation for the amp, but I find it just sounds fuller and better if I run in stereo.

As for which amps to use, that is up to you. There are so many great amps in the AX8. You can try different ones to see what rings your bell. I suggest you use yek's awesome guide for some cab suggestions. Personally, for me to get through a set I need a few clean amps, a few rhythm amps and a few lead amps. My needs as a player are pretty simple compared to some of the guys here.

If you turn off power amp modeling in your AX8, every amp model becomes a preamp. ;j

this is my new setup...so far so good!!....I like all the amp sims so far...incredible, really. It sounds a little different than direct with the cab sims,..but not enough to worry about for me.....the only issue I've had is volume...I really wish I had an fx loop level knob on my amp...cuz once you go in the return, there's no volume on the amp...it's full on....blew out my friend's ears with that one...with my 100 watt amp...you can change the master on the fractal,...but then you have to save it and go in and do the same thing with other patches...although, come to think of it,...I could have just adjusted the main out knob for that....nevermind...haha....I'm a little slow....

Do any of you guys with experience in running the AX8 into a FX Return of their tube amp have a modeled amp recommendation? This would be an AX8 pre-amping a Marshal DSL40 with a Creamback. I will eventually try the 4CM method but I figure I need to find a pre-amp tone or two from the AX8.

I'm thinking that I should look for amps that are Pre-Amp distortion based amps, like a JCM800, Soldano, EVH, JVM,then turn the cab, pwr amp sim and sag off. Wouldn't the JMP-1 be ideal since that was a pre-amp unit? Is this the correct line of thinking?

I don't know about that....whichever amp sounds best is what I'd go for... try the Friedman...if you want high gain..I'm loving that one lately..and the simple twin patch for a twin..between those two you can get anything....I have an orange rockerverb 2 50w and a 2x12 cab with v30s...slightly different but in the same ball park...

Sorry to re-hash this topic but what is the 'best' way to control the amp volume once you've made the Ax8 your pre-amp? Is it the output1 level knob or the other level knob?

There are 2 output level knobs. One knob controls output 1 and the other knob controls output 2. Rather handy for me as I send output 1 to the FOH and output 2 to my stage monitor. With 2 output levels, I can control the volume of each signal. It's one of the things I like about the AX8. Lots of twiddlin' knobs undt blinkinlights. Yah!

When running my signal into the effects return of my amp, the signal bypasses the preamp stage so the amp volume is controlled at the amp gain stage. I run my AX8 output knob at about 10 (o'clock) and then turn the amp volume up or down as needed. I usually am just using the stage amp for a monitor, so I really don't need it super loud.

Last edited:
I answered my question as soon as I got home: Turn up the ouput1 and control with the level knob. I was immediately able to take a JVM amp, turn off the sag and delete the cab block and get good tone. I added a GEQ and I've got a clearer tone than the amp by itself. Really good....Really loud. I added a clean Tweed and left a little of the sag on because it gave it extra sparkle. My fear that I won't be able to immediately use the AX8 at next 'band camp' has been lifted. I can't believe how much the tube screamer and the Marshall style model interact like the real deal. Plus the FET is awesome too. I played 3 hours before adding an effect and I know I can get the tone better by learning a little pre/post EQ wizadry (via Cliff in the tech forum).

My wife could hear me from the street.... I know...I'll go deaf....

Sorry to re-hash this topic but what is the 'best' way to control the amp volume once you've made the Ax8 your pre-amp? Is it the output1 level knob or the other level knob?
yeah I've been using the out 1 main...I was using the master level before,..that works, but if you need to change patches it over complicates things, as it's only the master for that patch...if you're just using one patch, either or....

Back
Top Bottom