D.I.Y 3 Knob Expression Controller

Axe-Master
Here's a fun little project anyone with rudimentary soldering skills can get their hands dirty with; a 3 knob TRS expression controller to use with the AX8 expression jacks. You can use for instant access to any parameter with modifier control (delay feedback, drive tone control, phaser rate) and I've found it quite handy when recording and tweaking on the fly.

There's a link to the hookup diagrams in the video description for some more detail. I'm speaking to JC from AA about doing a small run of kits with all the parts ready to go for anyone who doesn't want to source the parts themselves.

Haha, lovely, Leon. The only thing that's missing is you in a lab coat and some nerdy glasses. Oh, and of course, it's not Rock'n'Roll if no gaffa tape is involved. *like*

What would be cool is to have this box hooked up with an a/b box of sorts, so one could keep their expression pedals, as well as this little knob box both hooked at the same time. If you wanted to bend down and play with the knobs for some delay freakout etc type of stuff, you'd just bypass your expression pedals.

What would be cool is to have this box hooked up with an a/b box of sorts, so one could keep their expression pedals, as well as this little knob box both hooked at the same time. If you wanted to bend down and play with the knobs for some delay freakout etc type of stuff, you'd just bypass your expression pedals.

Or use mic cables and run that box right up to your guitar!

I imagine it would be straightforward to have a footswitch built in that toggles between an expression pedal and the knobs. Cool idea.

I imagine it would be straightforward to have a footswitch built in that toggles between an expression pedal and the knobs. Cool idea.

Don't quite get it. Would you want to alternatively control e.g. reverb time via the pot or expression pedal ?

Don't quite get it. Would you want to alternatively control e.g. reverb time via the pot or expression pedal ?

You've never played with an analog or tape delay pedal I take it ? Adjusting things like the delay time and feeback in real time can turn it into something of an instrument

not the best or most musical example, but it should give you some ideas. Add in more control over things like a filter block, synth block, etc and the sky is the limit.

Key is being able to adjust multiple parameters all at once, which requires multiple knobs

Here's a fun little project anyone with rudimentary soldering skills can get their hands dirty with; a 3 knob TRS expression controller to use with the AX8 expression jacks. You can use for instant access to any parameter with modifier control (delay feedback, drive tone control, phaser rate) and I've found it quite handy when recording and tweaking on the fly.

There's a link to the hookup diagrams in the video description for some more detail. I'm speaking to JC from AA about doing a small run of kits with all the parts ready to go for anyone who doesn't want to source the parts themselves.

Leon, thanks as always for your information. There is so much to learn about this unit. After a year of ownership, I feel like I am still just scratching the surface. I have a video request that I think others would find helpful as well. I have never done any soldering myself and while there are several videos online, none of them are near the quality of yours and I have a feeling you have some quality tricks of the trade that you could share as well. I just haven't found one that gave me the confidence to buy the equipment and give it a go. I know this isn't specifically related to the AX8, but given the connection with this current video, I thought it would be appropriate. If you have any other sources that you think would be helpful here, that would be awesome. Thanks so much!

Hi Leon,

I would like to build this. Would you be good enough to send me or Upload the wiring Diagramm and what poteniometer did you used for that Box.
Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany.

Hi Leon,

I would like to build this. Would you be good enough to send me or Upload the wiring Diagramm and what poteniometer did you used for that Box.
Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany.
Just get linear 10k pots (B10K), TRS (aka stereo) 6.3mm jacks and hook them up like in Todd's video above @4:26
There is really no point in a wiring diagram.

I would recommend solid shaft pots in place if split shaft pots.
You can buy pre drilled enclosures.
Nicely done.

Hi everyone,
this is my solution of a self build controler box, connected to Pedal 3 and 4 of my AX8. So I can switch between two values per parameter. Mostly I use it as a boost pedal (great for gain compensation when using different Guitars) or for delay modification. For the LEDs, there is a 9V Battery inside!
11AE30A1-B3FB-4835-AF68-480CDA320677.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom