F*!@#$% Mozilla

So how do most use FTP? Can you set up a server to swap files? Can you set up a folder/server where people can dump stuff and pick up stuff if they have a password? Peer to peer?

So how do most use FTP? Can you set up a server to swap files? Can you set up a folder/server where people can dump stuff and pick up stuff if they have a password? Peer to peer?
I don't. FTP has been completely supplanted by Dropbox, Google Drive and S3 for me. Likely for most.

It’s much like a web server, doesn’t serve though Very dos / Unix like, if you don’t use a GUI... folder based. Need an account to log in etc.

Why use any browser or FTP client at all?
Set up your FTP as a network location.. it acts as a hard drive (sort of) in My Computer.
Drag and Drop right into any folder on your site that you want to.

Time to go old school!

C:\>ftp ftp.FASfirmware.com <cr>

Login with credentials

ftp>cd \firmware\beta\AxeFx2_Quantum_9p04 <cr>

ftp>bin <cr>

ftp>hash <cr>

ftp>put AxeFx2_Quantum_9p04.zip <cr>

That's what we used to do back in the 90's! :D

Vintage flavour firmware... ;)

I don't. FTP has been completely supplanted by Dropbox, Google Drive and S3 for me. Likely for most.

I refuse to use Dropbox unless there's no other option. They sold my email address almost as soon as I set up my account.

(I create unique addresses for everything I sign up for on the web. That way when I get male enhancement ads sent to dropbox@mydomain.com, I know immediately who sold me out. Ticketmaster was another notable address seller.)

I refuse to use Dropbox unless there's no other option. They sold my email address almost as soon as I set up my account.

(I create unique addresses for everything I sign up for on the web. That way when I get male enhancement ads sent to dropbox@mydomain.com, I know immediately who sold me out. Ticketmaster was another notable address seller.)

Yup. I will never use Dropbox again. Also, I was having startup issues and traced it to a "driver" that Dropbox installs. Why Dropbox needs a driver is a mystery but it was throwing an error every second. I had tens of thousands of errors in my log.

You know
Yup. I will never use Dropbox again. Also, I was having startup issues and traced it to a "driver" that Dropbox installs. Why Dropbox needs a driver is a mystery but it was throwing an error every second. I had tens of thousands of errors in my log.
Probably so you can drag and drop to Dropbox...

Probably for the best that FTP has been retired from Mozilla; it's a protocol that needs to die.

On Windows, I use FileZilla, and/or WinSCP for clients, and use FreeSSHd for the server. I don't use Dropbox, cloud storage, etc. at work since I'll never put very sensitive router/network device configurations on 'the cloud' for several reasons. I use SFTP to back up those configs to our Windows backup servers, and SCP when I'm moving files around in Linux.

I was running a private Linux server with SFTP running on it, and used FileZilla as the client to have others copy/upload files to it. I was using that to move recording stems on some music projects to users in other cities. My server was hosted on a 100Mbps backbone and uploading/downloading multiple, huge .wav files was quick, reliable, and easy.

I had users/passwords, and accounts that were only scoped to certain directories, permissions, etc. Worked great, secure, easy to use, simple to setup, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom