Comp vs multicomp? (Solo Dallas Schaffer Replica)

I'm kind of addicted to the effect. Used it (Dynamics -1 => Dynamics +1) on some of my presets at last night's gig and it really stood out. Certainly would be great if this could be made available as a dedicated effect type in the Comp block.

yes it does sound great. it's important to use the dynamics block with the exact same settings on each (except for the +1, -1), so that the amount of compression exactly equals the amount of expansion. i originally had this effect set up with two compressor blocks with slightly different settings and it introduced noticeable artefacts which weren't pleasant.

yes it does sound great. it's important to use the dynamics block with the exact same settings on each (except for the +1, -1), so that the amount of compression exactly equals the amount of expansion. i originally had this effect set up with two compressor blocks with slightly different settings and it introduced noticeable artefacts which weren't pleasant.

Indeed.

It's just that it's a lot of work to adjust my presets...

And the impact on CPU is very noticeable, either with two Comp blocks, or when having to adjust Dynamics in 4 amp models (AMP 1: XY, AMP 2:XY).

Maybe I should just buy the pedal...

Last edited:
Isn't it insane that the AXeFx is so accurately modeled that we can simulate something this cool as pretty much an afterthought? People spend years buying gear and obsessivily tweaking and we can just dial this up with a block and an amp sim knob. Amazing stuff Cliff.

I was finally able to play around with this on my AX8 (so I used the +1 on the Amp block Output Comp) and I liked what it did to the tone for sure! But I would think that by having a decated model for this (specially now that the smaller pedal version is out, the TSR4) would be great in order to play around with the output and input settings like John does on this video, you can go to 8:55 and hear just a power chord with the effect ON and OFF and you can really tell the difference:

PS:
I think this pedal would be great to have it in the Gate/Expander block instead of the Comp block so it wouldn't limit you on not using a compressor in there if you wanted to.

Last edited:
Ok here is an update on using the -1 and +1 settings:

Do you guys fell that it's not as transparent as what I hear of the real thing? I don't have an actual Schaffer Replica but hearing the videos I don't hear it changing the overal tone of the amp but just adding an extra mojo and sustain... In my case it made my tone a bit more gainy with more bottom end chugga!

I made a patch to test it out using the Comp first, then a Tube Screamer and then a Plexi, have you use this with a pedal (TS or booster) infront of the amp too or is it just to go straight to the amp?

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it in the thread, this circuit is a compander. It compresses and expands the sounds kind of like what exists in most modern electronics such as cell phones, wireless Home phones and wireless mics and in ears. Maybe this could be added to the Axe FX Arsenal.

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it in the thread, this circuit is a compander. It compresses and expands the sounds kind of like what exists in most modern electronics such as cell phones, wireless Home phones and wireless mics and in ears. Maybe this could be added to the Axe FX Arsenal.

That is basic idea of this thread. Using compression followed by expansion to duplicate the affect.

So on a AX8 would you do the Compressor block -1 and then do a Gate/Expander block set to +1? You can't use two compressors on the AX8. Also running the 4 cable method, so I'm not using the amp block.

So on a AX8 would you do the Compressor block -1 and then do a Gate/Expander block set to +1? You can't use two compressors on the AX8. Also running the 4 cable method, so I'm not using the amp block.
@FractalAudio This is a perfect reason why you should come up with an independent Schaffer Replica effect in your units so that the users that usa a 4 cable method (or just have the FX8) can still use this effect ;)

Back
Top Bottom